• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #7-Drawn: Dark Flight

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just finished the first part myself. The puzzles are far more difficult than I remember them. They are certainly more difficult than those in the first game. I also like it that we are outside. Although the environment is quite intimidating.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Does anyone know how many red scarves we’re supposed to have by the time we’ve lit the first beacon? If I don’t have the required amount, I have until Wednesday to backtrack and find what I’ve missed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I’ve lit the first beacon as well. Funny, I actually found it easier so far than the previous game. Didn’t get stuck once. And the last game stumped me on several occasions the first time I played it. But I suspect that I was simply in the wrong mood for that kind of game the first time, so I didn’t have enough patience.

rtrooney - 26 February 2015 11:10 PM

Does anyone know how many red scarves we’re supposed to have by the time we’ve lit the first beacon? If I don’t have the required amount, I have until Wednesday to backtrack and find what I’ve missed.

I have five pieces, but I can’t imagine that they’d let you reach a dead end if you miss one?

I like the game so far, they seem to have succeeded in keeping the wondrous but serene atmosphere from the last game, and the puzzles are still pretty interesting. Story-wise it doesn’t seem like much has happened, though…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

harald - 27 February 2015 02:11 PM

I have five pieces, but I can’t imagine that they’d let you reach a dead end if you miss one?

I had four pieces. I went back and found the missing piece inside the painting. Mental lapse. I just wasn’t expecting to find two pieces in the same location.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I keep getting hung up on the first beacon puzzle.  Each time I’ve had one symbol out of place and just can’t seem to make it work.  I really wish there was a reset button for this one.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Can you post s screenshot of the problem? I’m not exactly sure what the problem is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 February 2015 09:29 PM

I keep getting hung up on the first beacon puzzle.  Each time I’ve had one symbol out of place and just can’t seem to make it work.  I really wish there was a reset button for this one.

Yep!! I had the same problem too. It’s not a bug, it’s just very difficult. That’s was the one and only time where I skipped a puzzle up to now.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played the first part and my daughter came an participated again. Now she’s bothering me to continue the game Grin.

Was the beacon puzzle Lady Kestrel is stuck with “the ring” with the symbols on the upper side? I was a bit lost with that puzzle for a while because it only has one point where you can rotate the pieces and I managed to lock it in the right place as the first piece. So for a while I tried to click the surrounding pieces without getting anything done. After I figured out the rotating mechanism it was easy enough to solve piece by piece.

I was “stuck” a bit with the constellation puzzle. I got the first one lit but not the next ones and that was just because I let go of the circles midway and the first piece became unlit in the process, silly me. My daughter had to point this out.

Spoilers don’t have direct puzzle solutions but I still hid them in case people don’t want those hints.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m behind everyone else—I just made it above ground.

Here’s an image of the town from the intro, with the red scarf blowing by. Iris is really talented at leaving messages with these scarves, isn’t she?

I’m finding it harder on this playthrough to figure out what to do next, for some reason. I think the game is more challenging than the first one in terms of noticing things happening in the environment and finding things. It also has more animations after a puzzle is solved, which I really like.

Here’s one of the mysterious images of the dragon and the phoenix.

I find it interesting that the two are intertwined, and that the dragon seems the more active of the two—the phoenix’s image is carved in such a way that it’s more of an absence or maybe a sort of silhouette. I think this battle/conflict has been raging far longer than we’ve so far been lead to believe. And the dragon has been on offense while the phoenix has been on defense.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 28 February 2015 09:02 AM

Here’s one of the mysterious images of the dragon and the phoenix.

I find it interesting that the two are intertwined, and that the dragon seems the more active of the two—the phoenix’s image is carved in such a way that it’s more of an absence or maybe a sort of silhouette. I think this battle/conflict has been raging far longer than we’ve so far been lead to believe. And the dragon has been on offense while the phoenix has been on defense.

I looked at this and some other similar images and assumed it was a dragon and a griffin. Thus symbolizing the two competing sides from the first game. There may have been a note or a Frederick narrative that said it was a phoenix and I just missed it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Rtrooney—you may very well be right—the tail would fit better with it being a griffon. I assumed the image was a phoenix because we’re seeing the phoenix more in this game—I don’t think I read anything in the game stating it was a phoenix. I’ll have to keep my eyes sharp as I look around some more, see if I can find out definitely which one it is.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love the impressive doors in this game, and the spectacular ways they open when you solve the puzzles.

Regarding the first beacon puzzle, I ended up skipping it as well.  It didn’t help that it was late at night, and my puzzling skills were at a low ebb when I tried it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

While searching for the missing red banner I ran across the kid with the kite that needs fixing. I’m guessing this is where we will start the next part of the adventure. I’m curious how many players are still working on lighting the first beacon.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now completed the first part and lit the first beacon.

So far I think that I enjoy this game more than the fist, and I think the main reason is that this game also contains more cutscenes and more story told directly to us the player, instead of the more bare-minimum or sketchy approach to the story in the first game.

Let me be perfectly honest here: I’m not a big fan of games based around solitary exploration! I love solving puzzles and puzzle heavy games, but experiencing the story and interacting with other characters, be it in the form of cutscenes, dialogue or simply sawing off their wooden leg while they are sleeping, are also important elements for me.

Even though this game is still based around solitary exploration, then simply by adding a few cut-scenes, then they both manage to make what we are doing feel more relevant to the story, but also add a bit of meat to that story, and make it feel less like we are simply running around exploring and solving puzzle purely for the sake of exploration and puzzle solving.

I also so far like the puzzles a bit more, there are less “Find seven object more or less concealed and blended into the background” and more of what I consider actual puzzle solving.

Though the above kind of mini-games are definitely not amongst my favourites.

The only puzzle that gave me any real trouble, was the windmill puzzle.

I did manage to find the three discs fairly easy, and aligning the discs correctly was also not to difficult, that however didn’t do anything in itself, and it took a long time before I realised what the arrows where for, and that I had to point them towards the zodiacs in a specific order.

Lady Kestrel - 27 February 2015 09:29 PM

millenia - 28 February 2015 03:01 AM

Was the beacon puzzle Lady Kestrel is stuck with “the ring” with the symbols on the upper side? I was a bit lost with that puzzle for a while because it only has one point where you can rotate the pieces and I managed to lock it in the right place as the first piece. So for a while I tried to click the surrounding pieces without getting anything done. After I figured out the rotating mechanism it was easy enough to solve piece by piece.

The beacon puzzle also had me “puzzled” for a short while, but like Millenia once I figured out the the top ring had an extra rotation point, that you can use to get a “free” rotation without changing any other pieces position, then I solved it with relative ease.

rtrooney - 27 February 2015 02:50 PM

I had four pieces. I went back and found the missing piece inside the painting. Mental lapse. I just wasn’t expecting to find two pieces in the same location.

I also have all the 5 red scarfs, though I would probably have missed both inside the windmill painting, if I hadn’t read the above in the spoilers, as they blended more into the background than the others, and I really wasn’t looking for them in the first place. So thanks for the little hint even thought it wasn’t intentional, and I probably shouldn’t have read the spoilers before finishing this part.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 24 February 2015 10:14 PM

Let’s set a preliminary date of Wednesday, March 4 to light the first beacon, and then we’ll give it a day or two to discuss this part.

Why the delay between finishing the first part and starting the second?
Surely we can play and discuss at the same time, at least I know that I can handle that level of multitasking, even if I’m only a man and statistically not as good at multitasking as women Wink

Don’t get me wrong, you are the playthrough leader and can set whatever schedule you believe are right, but I just don’t see any reason for it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top