• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Noctropolis is coming back!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Noctropolis getting remastered music and widescreen support.

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-130336/TS-938874.mp3

At 34 mark.

Will be released in a couple of months.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

First thing I thought when I read the title was : Night Dive - and of course, keep doing the good job Night Dive Studios. I never played Noctropolis.

They recently published a The Dark Eye picture in the facebook page. I hope they also get that one:

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

That’ll save me trying to get the sound to work whenever I replay it on an old Win95 PC. They probably can’t but I do hope they re-write the damn ending! Worst part of the game by a long way. Good news though Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2014-12-22

PM

This was one weird game, but it did have some strange charm.  I remember getting it at Sam’s Club ... and I think it was actually bundled with the Dark Eye.

Now developing: THE KNOBBLY CROOK

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played this game decades ago and liked it. I’ll keep an eye out for this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

This was one of the first games I played after Myst and Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.  I had some trouble getting it to work (remember editing Config Files?), and navigating the choice wheel but I learned a lot about how games work by playing it.

Glad to see it’s being remastered.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game was released on Steam last week:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/377070/

Still not on gog but on the forums they say it’s coming

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Cheers Wilco, I’ll keep an eye on GOG for it. That’ll be a purchase when it becomes available.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Nice to see Noctropolis making a come back. It’s not a super classic, but it is a fun title none the less. Besides the voices and music, were they able to remaster graphics? Some of those screen shots look much sharper and high resolution than I remembered.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If this makes it to GOG I will have to pick it up. I enjoyed the origonal and I do want to play it again.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Hey, this is awesome. I LOVE Noctropolis.  It’s surely flawed in terms of gameplay, but the atmosphere and visuals make this game something special. At least I feel this way.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Got the remastered version on Steam and tried to play it. This is what I see when I press look, etc.

There should be text in the brown and black rectangle. I have played the original game and didn’t have any problems. Is it just me and my computer? Anything I can do?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 17 October 2015 06:21 PM

Got the remastered version on Steam and tried to play it. This is what I see when I press look, etc.

There should be text in the brown and black rectangle. I have played the original game and didn’t have any problems. Is it just me and my computer? Anything I can do?

Didn’t happen in my version but I found this problem in the steam forums is similar

http://steamcommunity.com/app/377070/discussions/0/520518688943274819/

There is a possible solution there that concerns changing to windowed version and the resolution:

Is there any change to this behavior if you run the game in a window? Since you aren’t able to access advanced options, the way to do this would be to find the noctropolis.cfg file and set the “fullscreen” option to “0” (if you have never changed config settings, it should presently be “-1”).

You should also set screenwidth and screenheight to something that are smaller than your desktop size when trying this (for example if you are running on 1920x1080 desktop, set screenwidth to 1280 and screenheight to 800, just to test this - they can be set to whatever you’d like but the game will pillarbox if the resolution isn’t in a 16:10 aspect ratio).

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks wilco! Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im playing through this now, im assuming iv played through a large % of it, and i have to say i cant remember the last time i had this much fun with a game this… bad. The writing, the puzzles, the logic… is so terrible. What baffles me is how many detailed backgrounds it has that it hardly uses. And yet, im having a blast. It embodies the nostalgic feeling from that era and creates a setting that very few games ever try to.

EDIT: finished. So many missed opportunities! One of the more disappointing aspects was the completely 1 dimensional character of stiletto.. she could be renamed to: boobs who wants to screw whoever currently has the name darksheer. Cringe worthy!!!! I dont regret playing it though.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-09-17

PM

This was a game where I thoroughly enjoyed the first 75% of the game (aside from Stiletto’s character and some dead ends), was disappointed by the next 25% (the scientist guy sequence, that was super disappointing), and then baffled by the ending and even more frustrated all the loose ends weren’t tied up. Not to mention it felt like there was still much more gameplay left. I wouldn’t recommend anyone playing it again, and although I’m guiltily (a word?) pleased it’s been remade, I’m very surprised it would have a 1:1 remake (graphics and music aside).
Hopefully this would imply a sequel is in the works. Why else would they bring it back.

Interestingly enough, when I contacted the composer (~7 years ago), he seemed reluctant to send me any data files, implying there might be something in the works.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top