• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Did casuals influence the genre?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In 2009., AG published the article Casual Invasion: Concealing Hidden Dangers. We witnessed the rise of casual popularity. But is having the “Casual playthrough” on the forum the only consequence?

Looking at some of the current and recent adventure releases, there’re possibly at least 4 ways the casual adventures had an impact on the “regular” ones:

1) Games are shorter?

Of course, I haven’t played them all and counted, but somehow it seems to me the 20+ hours, The Longest Journey-esque titles are more of a polar bears today, than the ideal the designers are striving for. Perhaps it’s connected to the fact that:

2) Games are episodic?

They’re in minority, yes, but you know something is “going on” when the company announces their full-fledged game, only to transform it to the episodic format some time later. Rise of indies is connected to this - episodic format is sometimes the only way for a young company to achieve financials for future chapters (that, or Kickstarter).

3) Games are easier?

Pretty subjective and controversial category, but if anything - it’s almost mandatory for a game to include some sort of a hint system, hotspot highlighter… But that’s not the issue which should raise the concern - as long as they’re optional. It’s that other thing, the notion that the puzzles, core of the game (the games that do lean significantly on having puzzles contrary to the “story heavy” titles) are getting easier and easier. What it means “easy”? Perhaps it’s the fact, that majority of games think: “Will everyone be able to solve this puzzle, in a reasonable amount of time?”, instead of: “Will this puzzle be challenging enough to everyone?”.

4) Games are “cheaper”?

GK, Grim Fandango, Toonstruck… are measured in $ millions. That’s rare today, in adventure genre, and of course, the “production cost reduction” began much before the casuals started to spawn, because of adventure genre popularity decline. But - it’s interesting to question if casuals have anything to do with the current trend of several, mostly “technical” issues like - simple or “paper-doll” animations, little or no cutscenes, sometimes no speech at all… Of course, having some way instead of another is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be a proper stylistic choice. Also, when speaking about financials, it could be the only way for a company to make their work reach the audience.

Still, rise of adventure genre seem to be going “hand in hand” with casual adventures. It’s interesting to note that casuals, over time, grew from simple “hidden objects on screen” to having a more detailed story, character development, more complicated puzzles… or simply speaking, they’re more and more like “real” adventures. Is it a “two way” influence?

Also, you know something is BIG (pun intended) when your neighbour (well, not practically a neighbor, but a countryman from a country which never had major game developer) makes casual adventures for Big Fish. Like rise of AGS from 2000 onward, with new, creative ideas made possible for everyone to express, rise of amateur productions of casuals perhaps spawned another breath of fresh air to the parent genre.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think lenght of games is always very debatable thing. Content wise very few adventure games can clock in the same 20h range with TLJ for an example, as that game really has insane amount of discussions in every location.

If you take most classic adventures and look at them purely in content, then I’d guess, as I haven’t really clocked them, the median lenght for them would be around 8-10 hours rather than 20h. For an example Space Quest 1 can be played through in about 30 minutes if you know exactly what you do (and let’s face it, no first time player would), where as Monkey Island 1 would take about 5 hours. But at the same time they both most likely took much more time from the players when they were originally released, as there was no internet full of hints and walkthroughs.

Difficulty is always subjective, as people find different things difficult. My usual frustration in adventures is any music based puzzle and I tend to hate pixel hunting as well. Some other player can find those both as salt of the genre.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Instead of all these directions AG now took, the only thing that could save the genre is a new type of walkthrough-proof games, which puzzles should be designed in a manner that cannot be solved by mere looking at the solution, so the players should be forced to spend hours thinking about them, and not just grabbing walkthrough after a minute of stagnation.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 05 February 2015 12:31 PM

If you take most classic adventures and look at them purely in content, then I’d guess, as I haven’t really clocked them, the median lenght for them would be around 8-10 hours rather than 20h. For an example Space Quest 1 can be played through in about 30 minutes if you know exactly what you do (and let’s face it, no first time player would), where as Monkey Island 1 would take about 5 hours. But at the same time they both most likely took much more time from the players when they were originally released, as there was no internet full of hints and walkthroughs.

I would argue that content is not just about length of a first-time playthrough.  It’s also about DEPTH.  Those old parser games, like the original SQ1 (and especially SQ2, which had an even deeper range of possible responses,) really made you feel like anything was possible because you could so easily stumble across interesting and creative responses for trying off the wall ways of interacting with your surroundings.  There was a sense that everything could be examined and manipulated, and that anything was possible in those worlds, even if that wasn’t technically the case.  That sense of possibility just doesn’t exist in so-called “modern” adventure games, and is, in my opinion, the genre’s biggest loss.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Bogi - 05 February 2015 01:03 PM

Instead of all these directions AG now took, the only thing that could save the genre is a new type of walkthrough-proof games, which puzzles should be designed in a manner that cannot be solved by mere looking at the solution, so the players should be forced to spend hours thinking about them, and not just grabbing walkthrough after a minute of stagnation.

But that’s an argument you could have stated even in 2001, with internet walkthroughs floating around. Also, it’s impossible to design the walkthrough-proof game - you would need to design it for each player individually. Smile At least, if we’re talking about puzzles. In Prince of Persia, on the other hand, even if you know “which way to go” it’s still you who needs to do jumping and climbing.

Instead of walkthrough-proof puzzles, I think it’s about puzzles that should convince the player not to look at walkthrough. There’re many factors here - it needs to be a believable gameworld, and it needs a proper “introduction” to the puzzle, meaning the player is certain he/she knows what it takes to solve the puzzle and is generally interested in finding a way to solve it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

diego - 05 February 2015 01:27 PM

Instead of walkthrough-proof puzzles, I think it’s about puzzles that should convince the player not to look at walkthrough. There’re many factors here - it needs to be a believable gameworld, and it needs a proper “introduction” to the puzzle, meaning the player is certain he/she knows what it takes to solve the puzzle and is generally interested in finding a way to solve it.

But humans are so mentally and morally fragile Frown

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Casual games are extremely cheaply made games targeted at people that don’t play games.

Breaking up the story to have to spend 10 minutes trying to find hidden objects, or whatever the case is, destroys your immersion more than nearly any adventure game puzzle ever could.

I’d say Full Throttle was much more of an influence on modern adventure games, with a more cinematic approach and an emphasis on keeping the plot moving.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There are still plenty of long games. BoUW is at 18 hours and its still missing a chapter, Deamfall Chapters was only 5 houra 1 chapter. Talos Principle was 20+ hours. BS 5 abd Tesla were easily 10+ hours and most DS / Vita visual novels are 20-30 hour games.
Lots on indie games are shorter but its a product of less budget.
I do think games are more streamlined but not just adventures, all genres and its because of how the market evolved.
Thankfully there is lots of choice now short, long, easier or harder.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I think Devs themselves have also become casual, it needs time, art/skill/craft to blend good story with good puzzles. Most of the stuff is recycled and i am inclined to accept casual games if Devs don’t know how to pull off game design like they use to build in past.

Then we have market with stats of only 30% userbase who actually finishes AAA titles like GTA4/5. Devs don’t want to make games that large number of people cannot finish.

Even old hardcore fanbase mostly in 30s/40s don’t get time , and busy with families to
lose their time on barriers like puzzles or hard mechanics, and treat games like escapism
or entertainment.

As Wilco said, thankfully we have Indie scene to maintain balance, for now.
Games like Brothers which strike balance, Talos going way above line in puzzles and
upcoming The Witness with 600+ puzzles.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think part of it is also trying to appeal to a bigger market. I don’t mind getting stuck on puzzles, and it is fun sometimes to leave for a few hours and come back with a new perspective on solving the puzzle, but a lot of the mass market (outside of hardcore adventure gamers like ourselves) do not have that patience. You can even see it in big scale RPG’s with each iteration of Bioware’s games getting less and less hardcore, and more and more shooter like. This will always be a trend as you try to appease the largest group of people. Thankfully, there are indie games that could care less about the mass market, and just want to do something they are passionate about.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I love casual games. I see no reason that I should have to defend them.

The original post pointed to the Casual Game Playthrough as being indicative of an AG cultural breakdown. Quite the contrary. The current playthrough is of the Drawn trilogy. The first episode Drawn - Painted Tower is being led by Sefir. And is being played by many of the same people that participate in the regular AG playthrough. Here’s the thread. Check it out. And join if you want. Everyone is welcome.

I think you will also note that it goes both ways. Those of us who love casuals also love AGs. All of the people who participate on the Casual Games thread are also active participants everywhere else on the forum.

And, it might be worth noting that the Casual Game thread is the second most popular thread in terms of views and posts on the forum.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There’s only one major influence in gaming and that’s “the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet”!

If the money is in watered down, episodic, cinematic experiences then there are plenty of publishers that are all too willing to go down that path.

All you can do is hope one dev out there can make the case for a market that’s craving difficult or long-form adventure games. I believe that can happen if people can get hyped for absolutely unpleasurable experiences like Dark Souls.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

thejobloshow - 05 February 2015 11:45 PM

absolutely unpleasurable experiences like Dark Souls.

Hahaha…says you.  Probably one of my favorite games of this past generation.  There’s nothing unpleasurable about it at all, provided you take the time to learn what makes it tick.  It’s a blast.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t really think that Casuals have had a big influence on the Adventure game marked, instead I believe it is some general gaming trends in the recent years that has also found their way to AG. Casuals might be a representative of these trends, but not the cause.

1) Games are shorter?

nomadsoul - 05 February 2015 06:01 PM

Then we have market with stats of only 30% userbase who actually finishes AAA titles like GTA4/5. Devs don’t want to make games that large number of people cannot finish.

I also read an article about this recently, and the simple point is of course: If only a minority actually finish the game, then why not simply make it shorter and stop the game where the majority would stop playing anyway? No point in wasting money creating something few will ever see.

I would like to think that most people playing AG also finishes the games, though I don’t have any numbers to back that claim. But here the rise of the indies, the cost of making games versus the sale numbers and prices of the games, also shows it face. If you can’t make money creating a long game, then perhaps you can by making a shorter one.

2) Games are episodic?

Regardless of whether we like it or not, the simple truth is that for a developer there are many advantages to this format. Not only can they use the profit from the first episodes to finance the development of the later, but they also get a lot of extra exposure every time a new episode is released.

3) Games are easier?

Again a general trend that is happening in pretty much all genres, not just to adventure games. The cause seems to be that they are trying to appeal to as many players as possible and not just the hardcore fans of the genre. Why risk alienating 90% of your potential customers by making the game too hard, just to satisfy the 10% that are actually looking for something more challenging?

Also if we look at this site and forum, then pretty much all the top reviewed games in the last 5 years or so have all been in the easy side of the spectrum, and similar with the games that are most talked about here in the forum, whereas the few games that actually tries to set the bar higher and have difficult puzzles, tend to get mediocre reviews and are ignored by most players even on this (hardcore) forum.

If not even the hardcore adventure gamers buy and play the more challenging games, then how can we expect anything but that the games will become easier and easier.

4) Games are “cheaper”?

At least adventure gamers are still being made, and not all of them are what I would call cheap. There are some indies that seem to scrape the bottom in form of production value, but there are also others like Daedalic that aim much higher.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

From a developer standpoint, episodic content is a great idea and I love it. From a gamer standpoint, I don’t like it, and the main reason isn’t even the fact that it makes experiences shorter. I just have a problem with breaking the game experience into little pieces.

Anyone else here one of those tv shows binge watchers? I think to some extent we all are bingers, and e.g. House Of Cards owes much of its success to the entire season being available all at once. I don’t know if all this makes sense to anyone, and granted games and tv shows are definitely different beasts.

As for difficulty, I’m very much OK with toning down impossibly hard puzzles, because, even though I’m an advocate for puzzles being part of the core experience of an adventure game, I’m not the world’s greatest detective and I hate having to resort to walkthroughs. In that respect, I think it is a cultural phenomenon that’s reflective of how much more information and entertainment is available to us compared to the 90s for example, and how accelerated modern life in general is.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Casual games (here I’m using the term to mean Hidden Object games) used to be more difficult than they are now, too. Many of the older Hidden Object games contained timed HO challenges. For instance, I flunked the Hidden Object screens in the original MCF: Madame Fate game (the one released in 2007, not the more recent sequel) after about level 6 (maybe one-eighth of the way into the game). I simply couldn’t find the objects quickly enough.

HO screens used to have click penalties—so if you clicked around randomly, the cursor would freeze, sometimes for what seemed like forever, before you could use it again. This forced you to find the objects by skill, not luck. The mini-games were often (though not always) harder than they are now too.

The only portions of HO games that are more difficult than they used to be, are the inventory challenges—because there are many more of them per game now, and the newer games sometimes allow you to combine items in inventory, adding another layer of complexity in this area that the older games didn’t have.

Recent HO games also often allow you to customize the difficulty (something I’d like to see in adventure games).

I suspect that the reason that games in general are becoming easier is that developers know a lot more about how people play them and how very, very often the players get stuck. Developers know this because they are testing the games more seriously before they release them. And they know this because they can follow the players’ progress online and see for themselves where (almost) everyone bogs down in the face of a puzzle or tricky action sequence. The more information developers have about how people play, the easier the games seem to become. Mind-bogglingly difficult games are becoming fewer and farther between, IMHO, because developers know that the players who can complete them are rare.

Part of the reason there seems to be a disjunction between the difficulty gamers demand in the gaming forums—and the lack of difficulty in recent games—has to do a bit with the natural human instinct for bravado. It’s common for gamers to go into a forum and complain repeatedly that this game or that one is too easy. But few gamers have enough courage to go into a forum and complain repeatedly that a game is too hard. If you just look at the forum comments, you’d think that many games are not giving gamers enough challenge, but when you look at how many people actually make it through to the end without getting stuck and abandoning the game, you see an entirely different situation. That’s why customization of difficulty levels and responsive, helpful hint systems are a good thing.

Casual Hidden Object games are becoming more adventure-like over time, with deeper stories, better graphics and animation, and more inventory challenges. These casual games haven’t started integrating the challenges into the story much yet, though, the way adventure games strive to. And they have many more puzzles per screen and interactions per screen than adventure games do.

Have HO games influenced adventure games? Yes, though not as much as the other way around. The hint systems that certain adventure games are adopting may have to do with the influence of casual games. I’m seeing a bit more of the “seek and find” gameplay in adventures than I used to. As for game length—I think the success of the episodic model and the increasing expense of development are the chief factors influencing the length of recent adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top