• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anyone here excited about Oculus Rift?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

I am. I really want one.  How amazing it would be to actually experience an adventure game as though you were actually there. Not that I’ve tried VR since the 1980s in some public place I was at (where it was all polygon graphics but quite impressive nevertheless), but by all accounts it’s pretty awesome now. There’s a new adventure game coming out that makes use of it called Pneuma: Breath of Life. http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/27960

It will undoubtedly be more for heavily physics based games, the likes of portal, amnesia, etc. But could it work well (or even be wanted by adventure gamers) with games such as for example Sherlock Holmes, or perhaps remakes of games such as Zork Nemesis, Grand Inquisitor, Myst, Riven? I think it might be quite cool to be able to ‘virtually’ walk through the drunkard infested Victorian streets of London on my way to the Whitechapel Dispensary Smile

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I really don’t think I will ever use one of these devices. Playing a game in HD on my 24 inch monitor is already ‘real’ enough, sometimes too real. I think it would make me nauseous or dizzy. And I certainly wouldn’t go near any horror game with it. Playing Amnesia in VR is a surefire way to acquire PTSD!

I would be willing to try it with Riven or something relaxing. It would have to be static as I think too much movement would make me sick.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’ve never gotten my hands on the Oculus Rift or Playstation Morpheus, but I heard that a lot of experiences on VR leave you very nauseous. You cannot have the slightest frame drops, or you will get dizzy. Also, the computing required for them is much higher than those for a regular game, because of it requiring such a high framerate, and rendering a much larger view. I personally think it’s a fad that will go the way of the motion controls of the Wii era, but we’ll wait and see.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m intirgued by Oculus for sure, but before I’d buy one I’d have to test it myself first.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

There’s no doubt that first person games will benefit immensely from VR support. The sense of thereness when playing with a VR headset such as the oculus is far superior to that of a normal monitor. Games like Amnesia, Portal, et al will indeed all gain a lot from this.

Unfortunately I personall tend to find first person style puzzle games quite boring, as I’m usually in it for the character interactions - which tend to just work out a million times better in third person games.

As a developer I’m extremely intrigued by the idea of developing something for VR, especially something narrative-heavy, as this still doesn’t really seem to be something people are focusing on. Though now there’s the very promising “Oculus story studio” which I strongly recommend checking out (video link here), though it appears to focus less on interaction and more on the actual storytelling and immersion part of it all.

I wonder how a traditional third person game could benifit from VR support, if remade. Static cameras are by definiton not very fun in Vr, but imagine that fanmade real time rendered grim fandango remake, but with oculus support, allowing for truly letting the player soak up the environments… I’d love that. Though probably extremely jarring every time the camera moves to a new position.

It’s a very exciting field and I look forward to seeing it progress. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 February 2015 10:24 PM

I personally think it’s a fad that will go the way of the motion controls of the Wii era, but we’ll wait and see.

^ This.

Having said that, I’d love to try it some day. Just not a horror game (or I’d need my brown pants). Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I currently own 6 VR systems with my latest from Sony having a 52 degree field of view and full 3D graphics.

For adventure games, they don’t work at all well. Head tracking is very poor so far too.

Reason is alignment of HMD to eyes must be perfect or graphics get really blurry.

Now, for FPS and racing games, they are wonderful.

A compromise is a story based FPS game like the original AVP for Atari jaguar - this on any modern VR system would be amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Today Facebook held an Oculus Rift launch event.

Compatible with the Xbox one controller and can stream games via Windows 10 from the One.

So you can use the Rift as a cinema screen to play games on, but will the Rift be the Xbox’s Morpheous and actually do 3D games. ??

Watch the conference on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/oculus

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 11 June 2015 04:01 PM

Compatible with the Xbox one controller and can stream games via Windows 10 from the One.

So you can use the Rift as a cinema screen to play games on, but will the Rift be the Xbox’s Morpheous and actually do 3D games. ??

LOL, that’s so pointless and hilarious! Who thought it was a good idea to show in the Rift conference?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top