• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Semifinal 2 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Sefir - 02 February 2015 10:13 AM
Detective Mosely - 01 February 2015 09:58 PM

More memorable story: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango
Better lead characters: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango by a mile
More interesting side characters: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango by a mile
Better graphics, compared to the date of release: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango
Better puzzles: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango by a mile
Better music: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango by a mile

Better game: Gabriel Knight Grim Fandango

Fixed.

Grim Fandango is far superior in ALL departments (by many, many miles) and easily gets my vote.

I always found the weakest part of Grim Fandango to be its puzzles. Not weak, mind you - still fairly good - just clearly weakest of all these aspects.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-11-18

PM

Gabriel Knight 1
it’s one of the very few (only one I can remember?) non-comedy games where pure classic gameplay still manages to work pretty well.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

GK1

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Grim Fandango!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Gabriel Knight

To me both are 5 star games but I just feel that I do love GK more.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Fixed.

Grim Fandango is far superior in ALL departments (by many, many miles) and easily gets my vote.

So untrue.  Someone mentioned how memorable the characters and the music were in Grim Fandango.  The only side character that’s memorable at all to me is Glottis, and I don’t remember a single musical track from the game, despite playing it a couple times.

By comparison to Gabriel, Manny just looks like a blank character to represent the player.  Meche is more of a concept for Manny to chase after than an actual 3-dimensional character, and the bad guy is also one-dimensional.  And I literally remember no one else from the game besides those 4 characters.

In GK1 literally every single person you meet is an interesting person to talk to.  It’s probably the only game I’ve ever played that you can say that about.

And honestly the game probably has even longer conversations than The Longest Journey, but no one ever calls it long-winded because the characters and the dialogue are so well written, and the voice acting is so good, that it’s a pleasure to listen to.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Detective Mosely - 02 February 2015 01:45 PM

Fixed.

So untrue.  Someone mentioned how memorable the characters and the music were in Grim Fandango.  The only side character that’s memorable at all to me is Glottis, and I don’t remember a single musical track from the game, despite playing it a couple times.

By comparison to Gabriel, Manny just looks like a blank character to represent the player.  Meche is more of a concept for Manny to chase after than an actual 3-dimensional character, and the bad guy is also one-dimensional.  And I literally remember no one else from the game besides those 4 characters.

In GK1 literally every single person you meet is an interesting person to talk to.  It’s probably the only game I’ve ever played that you can say that about.

And honestly the game probably has even longer conversations than The Longest Journey, but no one ever calls it long-winded because the characters and the dialogue are so well written, and the voice acting is so good, that it’s a pleasure to listen to.

I remember all tracks from GF. It is one of the most memorable soundtracks of all time. Totally unique too. On the other hand, I have no memory from the GK soundtrack (if it was of any quality I would have remembered it, while the voice acting is honestly quite attrocious, for Gabriel at least. He sounds like reading a phone book).

With the exception of a couple of characters, I really never found the characters in GK anything special. On the other hand, GF offers a great number of really interesting characters (and yes, Manny is much more interesting than the stereotypical Gabriel-type hero.). Of course some of them are more caricaturistic due to the humorous side (like Hector), but I think that this works really well, compared to the equally caricaturistic stereotypical version of characters in a serious game like GK (Donut-eating cops, Voodoo profesors, etc).

I do agree that the dialog in GK is well written. In GF is written even better. Much more cheecky. Noir privillage.

On the riddles department, I also think that some of GK riddles are of the greatest quality. However, they sometimes disrupt the flow of the game. This is something that doesn’t happen in GF where they are instrumented within the game’s pace in a much better way (though sometimes with not such an originality as in GK). And yes, dead-ends (like the ceremony) are a - too in my books.

I won’t even bring matters like the uniqueness of each game’s setting and storyline etc, because it will be kind of unfair for GK too.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Sefir - 02 February 2015 02:10 PM

On the other hand, I have no memory from the GK soundtrack (if it was of any quality I would have remembered it)

Gasp

Don’t blame Robert Holmes for your bad memory!  Yum 

The Gabriel Knight theme is as iconic as it gets, dude ——>

And remember this is music from a game from 1993, when most games weren’t putting anywhere near as much effort into music as they do today.

Of course some of them are more caricaturistic due to the humorous side (like Hector), but I think that this works really well, compared to the equally caricaturistic stereotypical version of characters in a serious game like GK (Donut eating cops, Voodoo profesors, etc).

And this part just seems ridiculous.  How on earth is a professor that teaches about voodoo some kind of stereotype?  Or do you mean Dr. John, the curator of the voodoo museum?  In any case, neither characters are just stereotypes.  Both are very fleshed out as characters.  The professor at the college is more of another great example of a very small character having a surprising amount of personality and depth given his small amount of screentime.

And yes, some characters may fit some stereotype or another, such as a cop that eats donuts, but still nearly every single character you can talk to in detail in the game is extremely fleshed out.  None of those characters are just a stereotype and that’s it.

The police desk Sergeant Frisk may not even be in the games list of 50 most important characters, but he was more fun for me to talk to than anyone in Grim Fandango outside of Glottis.

We’re obviously both very biased when it comes to comparing these two games.  And we probably would both be a bit less so if we replayed the other game, as our memories are clearly foggy on many details.

But while I think there are many areas where one could debate which one is better (graphics, overall story), the depth of the characters is one area where I think there’s absolutely no comparison to be made by anyone looking at it with any objectivity at all.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Detective Mosely - 02 February 2015 02:52 PM
Sefir - 02 February 2015 02:10 PM

On the other hand, I have no memory from the GK soundtrack (if it was of any quality I would have remembered it)

Gasp

Don’t blame Robert Holmes for your bad memory!  Yum 

The Gabriel Knight theme is as iconic as it gets, dude ——>

Ok, ok. I stand corrected. It does have a good soundtrack.

Still prefer the GF one (

), but they are so different that any comparison is pointless and comes totally to personal taste…

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Grim has art design, Gabe has soundtrack. Grim has a cool world, Gabe has got the cool characters. Grim has sensible puzzles, Gabe has a better interface. Better story?

Gabriel Knight.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Grim Fandango. Easy choice Smile

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2013-08-17

PM

Grim Fandango

A difficult choice, as both are excellent adventures.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I gotta go Grim, and it’s not even my favorite.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top