• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Starr Mazer mixes point-and-click adventure with… shoot ‘em ups.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Because I knew how much y’all love pixel art….

Currently on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagosfilms/starr-mazer/description

Starr Mazer blends two classic genres, the Point-and-Click Adventure and Classic-style Shoot ‘Em Up, into a retro-sexy sci-fi epic with modern design sensibilities, open-middled gameplay and RPG elements.

The game will feature a collaborative soundtrack by Alex Mauer (VEGAVOX, Serious Sam: Random Encounter), Manami Matsumae (Mega Man), The Protomen, Virt (Shovel Knight) and many more!

The devs are promising a seamless mix of the two genres. Can point-and-click and bullet hell work together?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

This sounds awesome - I’m in!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This one actually does look super cool.

AND FREAKING BEAUTIFUL.  I want to wallow in bathtub full of all of those chunky sexy pixels.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Intriguing blend of genres - looking forward to seeing how well you pull it off! Grin

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Starr Mazer is more than a collection of Point-and-Click segments, Shoot ‘em up (SHMUP) segments and cut-scenes. The world is seamless. You’ll walk into the Holloway-Exeter docking bay, board the Starr Wolf and control the flight sequence, blasting off to space. You’ll be bargaining deals at the bar in order to afford repairs and upgrades to your Starr Wolf and using information gleaned from characters to find hidden routes while flying between destinations. Be careful which passing enemies you attack, as not all are foes, and a few could have dire consequences. Even while facing the charging death beam of a G’ell cannon, use your charisma to dodge bullets.

Sounds great.

That soundtrack team-up should also be good.

(This needs a Vita version)

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

The P&C parts look great but I have my doubts whether the game will function as a whole. To me, it’d be like listening to 6 tracks of easygoing music and then having a badass metal song come up in the playlist - no matter how good that song will be, it’ll still feel not right and ruin the mood. Then again, I might be wrong… but the two types of gameplay require such diametrically opposite mindsets, I’m very curios if they’ll pull it off. Looks gorgeous, either way.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

woah this is rad.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This is definetly a great looking pixel art game. One of the few that look like its done by someone who actually understands how to make the pixel art look good.

The idea of mixing together an adventure and a shoot em’ up does sound like a novel concept. It’ll be interesting to see what will come of this.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I backed this one. Hopefully it reaches its funding!

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Gameplay-wise it feels like they’re going to HAVE TO make either the shmup part or the point n click part very easy. The people who are both used to challenging point n clicks as well as high paced shmups, can’t belong to a very big crowd.

I think it’s a fun idea and it is indeed visually stunning. I’ve played with the idea of combining other genres with point n clicks in a similar fashion, it’s fun to see these folks going for it! Done right, I’m sure it could turn out quite awesome. Combining genres is a good hook too, that ought to give them some good press. Definitely going to back this at some point!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Mr Underhill - from the screens, I take it that ‘Shoot em up’ means it’s going to be a horizontal shooter where you control a plane and the screen moves from left to right and you need to avoid and shoot things. It looks like the game is split in two with the adventuring looking more like what we are familiar with:

Seamless, though? I guess we’ll have to wait and see. They probably couldn’t have done it any other way, though I was hoping for something a little more like Blackthorne or Flashback.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Mr Underhill - 23 January 2015 05:01 AM

The P&C parts look great but I have my doubts whether the game will function as a whole. To me, it’d be like listening to 6 tracks of easygoing music and then having a badass metal song come up in the playlist - no matter how good that song will be, it’ll still feel not right and ruin the mood. Then again, I might be wrong… but the two types of gameplay require such diametrically opposite mindsets, I’m very curios if they’ll pull it off. Looks gorgeous, either way.

^This. I have my reservations as well. Mixing Metallica with Celine Dion sounds weird (though admittedly, I have done it before. ) Grin

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Ah, I’m glad you made a thread of this! I saw this yesterday, too. I have it on reminder right now - though I guess I’ll back it eventually. I’m just hoping I don’t have to do too much SHMUPing. Some is okay, but I’m more interested in the p&c side, of course Smile

As for the difficulty, I would guess there are some very clear difficulty options available. And I thought I read something to that extent somewhere (granted, it was a very quick glance).

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Looks like fun! Point’n'click could use some shooting, I always said that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

More good news! Starr Mazer has reached its Kickstarter goal with 18 hours to spare as of writing this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagosfilms/starr-mazer/posts/1140949

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

This is not totally AG, unless we know the extent of it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top