• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R64 Bracket 7 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

M1: Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
M2: Portal 2
M3: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
M4: Edna and Harvey: The Breakout

M1: Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is my 8th favorite FMV game. My 4 most favorite are the Tex games, the next two are the Phantasmagoria games, followed by Black Dahlia, and then The Beast Within. I enjoyed exploring Germany! GK2 also has one of the best FMV villains. I would love GK4 to be FMV a billion times more than I would like it to be CG!

M2: I hate telling Sam & Max to hit the road in the first round, but it was the Telltale episodes that got me into Sam & Max first, not Hit the Road (although, Hit the Road is still excellent). For me, Portal 2 automatically beats any other game in this tournament, except for the Tex games. Portal 2 is virtually perfect in practically every way. Playing the Portal 2 single-player campaign caused an immense amount of pleasure in my brain. The puzzles are light years ahead of anything that any other adventure game can offer, and that’s why I consider puzzle to be the game’s primary genre. However, the story is deep enough to make it an adventure game, and it excels at that as well. If that wasn’t enough, playing co-op is some of the best multiplayer gaming I’ve ever had in this universe. And to top it all off, the Perpetual Testing Initiative brought us what’s practically one of the easiest level editors to use ever, and with it, we currently have over 400,000 custom test chambers on the Steam Workshop! If I had to live the rest of my life on a desert island and was forced to play just one game, I would choose Portal 2 (with Internet to access the Steam Workshop). If each custom test chamber took 15 minutes to complete, and someone played them as a full time job, it would probably take them 50 years to complete them all, and by then, there would probably be a few hundred more years worth of chambers to play. After playing that many chambers, this person would probably become insane, but their spatial reasoning and problem solving skills would be out of this universe!

M3: When I think of adventure I think of Indiana Jones! LucasArts was also a great studio in the 90s.

M4: This is a tough choice because I have to choose between voodoo or insane asylums. Both editions of GK1 are excellent, but I find inane asylums more interesting. Edna & Harvey also mixes humor with psychology very well. After reading that tangent about Portal 2, it seems like I should move into an insane asylum, right? :-)  Maybe I can live with Ralph from Black Mirror.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Match 2 - Sam & Max Hit the Road            
Match 3 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis   Tough choice.
Match 4 - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers  

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

1 GK2
2 Sam n Max
3 FOA
4 GK

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

M1: Gabriel Knight 2
M3: Sherlock Holmes
M4: Gabriel Knight 1

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

1. Conquest of the Longbow
2. S&M
3. Fate
4. GKI

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

1. Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of RH
2. Sam & Max Hit the Road
3. S. Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scalpel
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

While the original GK1 is one of my favourite games, GK2 is far from it. Longbow, on the other hand, is a truly unique experience. And Serrated Scalpel is simply the best Sherlock game ever released.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

1. Gabriel Knight Beast Within
4. Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Match 1 = Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

No votes for any other games

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Match 1 - Conquests of the Longbow
Match 2 - Portal 2
Match 3 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GK2
Sam&Max;
Fate of Atlantis
Edna&Harvey;

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

1. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
2. -
I haven’t played Portal 2 but Sam & Max is one of my least favourites LucasArts games, and while it’s still very good, I can’t confidently say I won’t like Portal 2 better…
3. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - the one that made me fall in love with the genre and one of my absolute favourite games
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

1. Gabe Knight 2
2. Sam and Max Hit the Road
-
-

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

portal 2
edna and harvey

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

1) Conquests of the Longbow (GK2 is also special to me, but Longbow owns my heart.)
2) Sam & Max Hit the Road
3) Sherlock Holmes: Serrated Scalpel (I love Fate of Atlantis, but if I’m being honest I love Scalpel a bit more.)
4) Gabriel Knight 1

wilco - 08 January 2015 10:01 AM

All GK games are going far in the tournament, I should really play them for a more informed vote further along…

Unfortunately even if GK1 and GK2 make it to the Round of 16, only one can advance after that. Both might have made it into the Quarter Finals a.k.a. Round of 8 if they were in a different bracket. But that’s elimination tournaments for you. Smile

They’re very good games; you should give them a try. (You seem to do fine with older games, so play the original GK1 and not the remake.) Unfortunately, they’re probably a bit over-hyped these days. If any games can live up to the hype, it’s the GK games and certain LucasArts classics, but no games should have to carry the burden of being quite so hyped.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top