• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 06 January 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TIME-TRAVEL - Week Special

A time-travel week special without TimeQuest by Legend Entertainment is unthinkable. It shines. The humor, the writing, the puzzles, the ingenious time twist at the end… everything is outstanding.

For those of you who haven’t played it: A lieutenant in the Temporal Corps, who goes by the weird name of Zeke S. Vettenmeyer*, has turned evil and is determined to destroy the world as we know it in 2090. He went back in time and changed ten major historical events. You are a private in the Corps, still wet behind the ears, and you have your work cut out for you. You know from the start that you’re going to visit six different places (Baghdad, Mexico, Dover, Rome, Peking, Cairo) at nine different moments in time: over 50 locations to explore. Yum

The manual provides a few details about the ten changed events. But initially you don’t have a clue what to do. The 60 locations are the pieces of one big puzzle. So I started by visiting every location, asking questions, writing down what happened, who said what to whom. Pages and pages of notes. Loved it! And gradually you begin to see the patterns. Some events were easy, others are quite hard. One of the best aspects of the game is that it does matter what you do and say, even when you’re just exploring and not solving anything. If you have met Cleopatra in Rome with Caesar, she will recognize you in Cairo. Visit Cairo before Rome, and she doesn’t know you from Adam.

There are no dead ends in the game, but death is lurking around every corner. Step out of the time machine in Dover 452 and Arthur is waiting for you. Huh? You have just one move to do or say the right thing before he kills you. But if you ask him a question he will answer it and kill you after your second question. It’s fun asking him about Merlin, Excalibur, Guinevere.

*Zeke S. Vettenmeyer is the anagram of a well-known game developer who worked for Legend Entertainment. No, not Bob Bates.
Oh, alright! It’s Steven E. Meretzky.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ok, that sounds really awesome, I have to try it someday. Sounds like something I was expecting from Journeyman Project (and didn’t get).

I wish somebody started selling old Legend games…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Haven’t played the game, thought it does sound awesome - One thing however caught my attention in your description: Why Cairo?

As far as I know Cleopatra ruled from Alexandria, in fact I don’t think Cairo even existed at the time. I hate it when fiction, be it games, books or movies, aren’t accurate in their portrayals of historical periods and get even the simplest things wrong.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 06 January 2015 11:08 PM

Haven’t played the game, thought it does sound awesome - One thing however caught my attention in your description: Why Cairo?

Cairo is close to the Pyramid of Giza. That’s why. You visit the spot where Cairo was built nine times in history and of course Cleopatra is there just once. BTW, your time machine drops you off in one of the tombs that have been around for thousands of years in Cairo Necropolis (which probably had a different name before the Arabs took over).

As far as I know Cleopatra ruled from Alexandria, in fact I don’t think Cairo even existed at the time.

So? The time machine takes you back to a certain place which we now call Cairo. It doesn’t matter what it was called then. It doesn’t matter if Cairo existed or still had to be built. 

And you’re saying that Cleopatra ruled from Alexandria, so she can’t have been in a palace near Giza (yeah, there were palaces) in 44 BC? That’s assuming a lot. The woman did travel, you know. The game also has her in Rome at the time of Caesar’s assassination, which is quite accurate.

I hate it when fiction, be it games, books or movies, aren’t accurate in their portrayals of historical periods and get even the simplest things wrong.

I agree, I hate that too. Fortunately, the game claims the facts are historically accurate.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This is somewhat related, vote for Legend games on gog.com wishlist (I think they sometimes look at it…)
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/legend_entertainment_games

Or just Timequest
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/timequest

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top