• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #5 – Time Dreamer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2015 06:58 AM

It was both the shortest and the weakest of the CPTs so far, but I understand that the game’s age is to blame for most of the quality issues? It’s especially jarring considering how great the previous CPT game was…

I first bought and played Time Dreamer around the time it was a new release at Big Fish (my date of purchase is May 2011)—and I remember thinking it was below average even then (compared to games I bought from Big Fish around the same time). I was very disappointed in it.

Note: I’m using the date of purchase on my Big Fish list as a reference, since I used to buy almost as soon as Big Fish released the games—within a month or two anyway.

Here are some games I bought in May 2011 that were far better:

Mystery Trackers: Raincliff
Snark Busters 2: All Revved Up
Dark Dimensions: City of Fog
Puppetshow: Lost Town
Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital (weird name on that one)
Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi

And that’s just in May 2011.
Here are some games I bought in April 2011, all of which are much better than Time Dreamer.

Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden
Fear for Sale: Mystery of McInroy Manor
Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock
The Fool

And one of my all-time favorites, Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull, was bought in December 2010.

So I don’t agree with the game’s “age” being to blame—not if we’re taking 2011 as the age.

Now it’s possible that Time Dreamer was an old game even in 2011—and Big Fish released it in order to keep up with their “new game every day” thing. In that case it could actually be from 2009, in which case in wouldn’t be worse than most casual adventure/HOG games that were released in 2009.

But I think Time Dreamer was more a case of an inexperienced development team creating a game.
Possibly it was a first effort, though I don’t know how to look up developer information—Big Fish doesn’t offer that information and I don’t know where else to look.

But by 2011, most of the hidden-object/adventure-type games being released by Big Fish had a better story (which hung together and made sense—didn’t feel like parts were skipped), more areas to explore, more puzzles, better puzzles, better hidden object searches, etc.—and generally more fun to play.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 11 January 2015 07:43 PM

Did you ever find out why you as the protagonist was in a coma in the 1st place? I don’t think so as there seemed to be no record of it at the end but on the other hand you had changed the future so therefore you never got in a coma in the 1st place!

I’ve got more to say but I’m so tired as I’ve been working all day - I’ll come back!

I did wonder whether the clues for the coma are within the game - you view a newspaper article about comas right next to an article about pills - I had a thought that as the protagonist to start with you didn’t know you could time-travel with a clock in your room but Giovanni would? & maybe already knows what would happen or something along those lines & that the coma came about by re-awakening that ability & counteracted by pills or…. nope! there’s definitely not enough info! As for father’s hair - I could have got along with that better if it wasn’t so obviously a wig - it just seemed a little bit of a strange eyesore!

Thank you Becky for a great job (as always) on leading the playthrough!

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 12 January 2015 10:21 AM

[But I think Time Dreamer was more a case of an inexperienced development team creating a game.
Possibly it was a first effort, though I don’t know how to look up developer information—Big Fish doesn’t offer that information and I don’t know where else to look.

It’s as close as the bottom of this post. The Casual Game Developer’s list.
Tiki Labs also did Wishmaster, which I guarantee is a far better game. Laughing

Re: Wishmaster, I’m going to post this on the CCPT voting thread as well, but I figured I might as well post it here too. This is for those who purchased Wishmaster from BFG, but no longer have it loaded on their computer.

Our Response

Hi Tim,

Thanks for following up with me.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

In a situation such as this where a previously purchased game is no longer available on our site, and the game has been removed from a user’s computer, we can certainly offer a replacement code to get a new game that is available on our site.

We would simply need to be contacted in regards to such an instance.

Please let me know if there are any additional questions or concerns regarding this. Simply reply directly to this message.

Best,
Sam

Your Entry

It doesn’t currently apply to me. But it does to several others in the AG casual game community . If we bought the game and deleted it for whatever reason, expecting we would be able to reinstall it at a later date from our Purchase History, and the situation you describe below occurred….Should those that bought the game get a game credit if they can no longer install the game they bought?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This game released in July 2010, at least according to when the Big Fish and Gamezebo walkthroughs were written. The developer is Tiki’s Lab.

I enjoyed the consequences (most of them unintentional) from the time travel, and that you had to keep trying to reverse or change those results. I can’t think of another time travel casual game (other than Temporal Betrayal) where you continually have to do that. I also found that the game tickled my funny bone, which again is rather unusual in a casual game.

I looked at the opening diary entry, and Brown Jr. (the player character) writes: “I don’t know how I fell into the coma, how I came out of it, or where my father is.” The diary does also show the newspaper with the pills article, so as chrissie commented, that may be an indication.

It looks like the body of the article is written in English, but the type is so small I can’t decipher any of it.

Other ideas—Both members of the Brown family have been exposed to krawtite, so that might affect falling into a coma and/or coming out of one. And yet another idea—it’s hard to imagine that Giovanni was responsible for somehow putting Brown Jr. into a coma, but it is odd that he is immediately notified/finds out when Brown Jr. leaves the hospital.

I agree that it would be good to have more specifics about the coma. There’s also no indication as to how Brown Jr. arranges to go back or forward in time to reach the correct year—so that, for instance, he doesn’t go so far back in time that Gloomville doesn’t exist yet. Time travel beginner’s luck?

Here he mentions that he can choose the time he goes to somehow:

TimovieMan - 12 January 2015 06:58 AM

Speaking of Dr. Emmett Brown, your dad in this game is Dr. E. Brown. Could it be a Back to the Future reference?
Because I think I spotted another one (but I clicked away too soon, and didn’t get a good look as a result): the magazine you use for that beaten-to-death puzzle (where you slide a paper under the door and use a thin object to push out the key on the other side of the door) read “Sports Almanac”. I suspect a Back to the Future 2 reference... Tongue

I hadn’t realized that before—I’m sure you’re right and these are Back to the Future references. Good get! There was also a Lord of the Rings reference.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I wonder if the fact that Brown Jr succeeds in destroying INFAM’s krawtite operations in Gloomville is the reason it is being mined off-planet in E.P.I.C. Wishmaster.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 12 January 2015 03:54 PM

Tiki Labs also did Wishmaster, which I guarantee is a far better game. Laughing

Going by the list on their website at http://tikislab.com/ it does appear that Time Dreamer was their first attempt at an adventure/HOG game. Their previous game, Travel League, seems to be a 100% HOG. Wishmaster came several games later.

I’ve installed E.P.I.C. Wishmaster from Big Fish in both XP (a few days ago) and Vista (2 seconds ago), and there was no problem with either downloading or activating. I don’t know if there will be a problem in the future, but there doesn’t seem to be one at this moment (as long as you’ve already bought it).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 12 January 2015 04:32 PM

Other ideas—Both members of the Brown family have been exposed to krawtite, so that might affect falling into a coma and/or coming out of one. And yet another idea—it’s hard to imagine that Giovanni was responsible for somehow putting Brown Jr. into a coma, but it is odd that he is immediately notified/finds out when Brown Jr. leaves the hospital.

One of the problems with games like this is that it’s impossible to know what hasn’t been done re: altering the future, and what has been done. Is the fact that Giovanni knows Bj has been released from the hospital due to “inside” information? Or is it due to the fact that he is the omnipotent, all-knowing being that Bj allowed to be created?

I also think it takes some time for Bj to get used to time travel. For me, it isn’t until the jail sequence that he realizes what power he has.

There are also some troubling sequences. If by going back to 1931 to ensure that Infam doesn’t exist, does he also alter the possibility that he, himself exists?

As for the Krawtite mine in Wishmaster, it would seem that the value of the mineral would have to have been discovered in a whole different way. (Of course we don’t really know how it was discovered in Time Dreamer.) For that bit of information we apparently have to play the prequel.

I got a strange vision of mining unobtanium in Avatar.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

furgotten - 12 January 2015 05:18 PM

I wonder if the fact that Brown Jr succeeds in destroying INFAM’s krawtite operations in Gloomville is the reason it is being mined off-planet in E.P.I.C. Wishmaster.

I had forgotten that it’s krawtite that they are mining in E.P.I.C. Wishmaster. Clearly time for me to play it again.

crabapple - 12 January 2015 06:47 PM

I’ve installed E.P.I.C. Wishmaster from Big Fish in both XP (a few days ago) and Vista (2 seconds ago), and there was no problem with either downloading or activating. I don’t know if there will be a problem in the future, but there doesn’t seem to be one at this moment (as long as you’ve already bought it).

I’m glad to hear that! I have it installed already and plan never to delete it. Of course, sooner or later my current computer will fail me (as have all past computers—from a fried motherboard to frequent unfixable crashes) and then I’m hoping I’ll still be able to reinstall it on a new computer.

rtrooney - 12 January 2015 07:20 PM

There are also some troubling sequences. If by going back to 1931 to ensure that Infam doesn’t exist, does he also alter the possibility that he, himself exists?

As for the Krawtite mine in Wishmaster, it would seem that the value of the mineral would have to have been discovered in a whole different way. (Of course we don’t really know how it was discovered in Time Dreamer.) For that bit of information we apparently have to play the prequel.

It’s always a possibility, when traveling in time, that the protagonist can accidentally prevent his own birth.

I don’t think that’s a problem here. Spoilers follow for the prequel, Time Dreamer: Temporal Betrayal.

There’s no indication that his father working for INFAM has anything to do with Brown Jr.‘s birth. Dr. Eric Brown, as a young man, is at an isolated, top secret site where they are already mining krawtite and attempting to keep the mineral secret from the public—this is before INFAM discovers that a vein of krawtite is right under the town of Gloomville.  In fact, it’s extremely strange that Dr. Brown ends up working at INFAM, as he does get some indication in the prequel of how corrupt INFAM is.

[spoiler]If krawtite is a link between E.P.I.C. Wishmaster and the Time Dreamer universe, it’s probable that it wasn’t first discovered on earth.[/spoiler]

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks to everyone who played Time Dreamer along with us, those who read this thread, and a special thanks to those who posted their thoughts.

The thread can be unstickied now, though anyone who wants to continue to post about this game is very welcome.

And if there’s someone who is inspired to play the prequel, Time Dreamer: Temporal Betrayal, I have an impression that Brown Jr.‘s first name is mentioned at some point during that game. Maybe near the end. I didn’t write the name down, though. So it’s possible I simply imagined it. But if anyone happens across the name, post it here. I’m curious.

If the name had been “Emmett” I’m pretty sure I would have remembered it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If you’re referred to as Jr., wouldn’t it make sense if your first name is Eric as well???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

“Brown Jr.” is a name that Giovanni calls the protagonist in a rather satirical tone. I think that if Eric Brown’s son was also named Eric, I would have remembered that from Temporal Betrayal, as it would have been logical/easy.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m late to the party, but I played the game in its entirety this evening.  I had played it back in 2010 but didn’t remember much about it.  I liked the time travel aspect and the way the same places changed with time, but the hidden object scenes were more tedious than I remembered, even in casual mode.  I used the hint button more than I am wont to do, but most of that is due to major jet lag.  Although the story was predictable and the characters strange looking, I liked the ending because it’s always nice to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.  Yes, I’ve played better, but I still enjoyed reading everyone’s comments.  Thanks for being our leader again, Becky!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Welcome back. Once you have recovered from your jet lag, make sure you catch up with us on the CCPT voting thread. Your input is requested.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, Tim!  I’ll check out the thread asap.

By the way, my relatively new gas furnace has been acting up as well, and I’m currently relying on a couple of electric heaters until the repair service comes tomorrow morning.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 January 2015 10:53 PM

Thanks, Tim!  I’ll check out the thread asap.

By the way, my relatively new gas furnace has been acting up as well, and I’m currently relying on a couple of electric heaters until the repair service comes tomorrow morning.

I am ever so sympathetic. In December I woke up to outside temp of -8F and realized my furnace was not working. Fortunately we’re on a service plan so everything was fixed by 10:30. But it was still damn cold inside until they came. We have a dog that gets into things, so we’re reluctant to invest in electric heaters.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top