• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #5 – Time Dreamer

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oops! Fixed it.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m sorry. I was thinking the day rather than the date. I figured two days from yesterday would be the section finish. However, I don’t live in the AG time zone. So I guess it is two days from today, which means Sunday, not Saturday. Doesn’t really matter because I’m done anyway. Pacing the floor waiting for Sunday.

BTW, if anyone hasn’t seen it, there’s an unhappy update on the Wishmaster saga on the Playthrough voting thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I just wanted to chip in and say that I don’t know if I’ll be able to participate this time either, sorry. I just moved to a new flat and the renovation isn’t finished as promised, we probably have a cockroach problem and everything is more or less chaos right now. I only have access to a laptop with Linux at the moment and I might try getting the game to run on it if I have time, but I don’t know how easy it will be. I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of time to spend tinkering with it.

Enjoy the playthrough everyone. I expect to join if not at the end of this one, then definitely during the next one. Smile

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Harold—it sounds as though you’re very busy. If you can get the game to run we’d love to have you join us, of course, but if not—we’ll see you next time.

Good luck with the roaches. I lived in New York City for several years, so I’m well acquainted with the skittery things.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached the beginning of chapter 7! Observations are that father was still dead! so had to get some blueprints to Giovanni also that nearly every CG that I play that starts off with interactive HO screens - they do seem to get less as the game progresses & it’s no different here! It seems that I trusted Giovanni too much! but I love the way that the game does use the ability to travel between the present & past! One very good use of it I thought was the protagonist, while in prison, gathering the resources to make a basic sundial to travel to the past? to have the tools to escape in the future - oh hey ho! - I can’t remember which way around it was!!! Whatever, the story continues to be interesting & ‘revenge’ seemed sweet!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TIME DREAMER PLAYTHROUGH – SECTION FOUR—FINAL SECTION

Thus far, your efforts have not exactly had the results you had hoped for. When you show up in times and places where you aren’t supposed to be, you can leave an awful mess.

Or worse.  You can find yourself gazing in horror at a future throne.

Play until you finish the game or until the year 2022 rolls around – it’s only 7 years away.

BE SURE YOU WATCH THE CREDITS AFTER YOU FINISH THE GAME – the credits contain some “what happened afterwards” scenes.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished.

I think I may have nominated it because somebody ask about a casual time-travel game. This was the only one I could think of. I did like the game when I first played it, but didn’t find it nearly as enjoyable this time through.

Even with the plot holes, Angelica Weaver was stylistically a superior time-travel game, IMO. Of course it’s also newer.

It’s an experience I’ve had playing in some of the regular adventure CPTs. Some games just don’t age well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

As I mentioned before, I never did care for Time Dreamer—though I forgot exactly why.

Have you ever played Timeless: The Forgotten Town? I remember liking that one. Not sure it’s exactly “time travel” though.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished as well. I thought the HO scenes were excruciatingly bad and I stand by what I said regarding the character interaction between the protagonist and Giovanni. Other than that I found it enjoyable and interesting. Probably would not want to replay it though.

We know the developers want us to say it and nobody else apparently wants to so I will: this story is INFAMous!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 11 January 2015 12:44 PM

As I mentioned before, I never did care for Time Dreamer—though I forgot exactly why.

Have you ever played Timeless: The Forgotten Town? I remember liking that one. Not sure it’s exactly “time travel” though.

I have played it, and think it’s quite good. A bit different than this game though. You are involuntarily transported back in time to, ironically, destroy a time machine, which then returns you to the current period.

I recall that the puzzles were occasionally quite difficult. But, if I remember correctly, there were quite a few HO scenes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I enjoyed playing Time Dreamer for the second time—this time through I’m convinced that [spoiler]Giovanni was after those blueprints and couldn’t trick them out of Eric Brown (your father), and so he resorted to time travel tactics to trick them out of someone more malleable and clueless (you). Something mentioned in the prequel game—Time Dreamer: Temporal Betrayal—that I don’t believe was mentioned here is that the mineral that’s being mined (krawtite) has the effect of allowing time travel in a few people with the right genetic heritage. The Browns have the right genes for time travel, and apparently Giovanni does too.[/spoiler]

And now for the bad hair examination. I was unable to find a profile view with the wild hairdo, but here is a back view and two frontal views.

Comments?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 11 January 2015 07:03 PM

I enjoyed playing Time Dreamer for the second time—this time through I’m convinced that [spoiler]Giovanni was after those blueprints and couldn’t trick them out of Eric Brown (your father), and so he resorted to time travel tactics to trick them out of someone more malleable and clueless (you). Something mentioned in the prequel game—Time Dreamer: Temporal Betrayal—that I don’t believe was mentioned here is that the mineral that’s being mined (krawtite) has the effect of allowing time travel in a few people with the right genetic heritage. The Browns have the right genes for time travel, and apparently Giovanni does too.[/spoiler]

Yes, that seems like a very feasible theory!

Also having the right genes for something is an interesting concept when artistic license over-rules .......!!  Laughing

I’ve now finished the game & I’m very pleased for this playthrough as it’s a game I must have tried the demo for, bought the whole game & never got around to playing!

I did like the story & the ending was perfect for a lovely cosy Sunday afternoon! (in my case late evening!) I didn’t trust that Giovanni to start with but what I really loved was the changing of opportunities through altering things in time for people where someone like Giovanni could take full advantage & become potentially dangerous given the chance but otherwise has less/no prospects

Did you ever find out why you as the protagonist was in a coma in the 1st place? I don’t think so as there seemed to be no record of it at the end but on the other hand you had changed the future so therefore you never got in a coma in the 1st place! How these time-travel games can befuddle the mind!

I’ve got more to say but I’m so tired as I’ve been working all day - I’ll come back!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think Becky deserves a HUGE round of applause for leading this game. It was not only a game that was not a clear leader, but also one that, in retrospect may not have been the best “second place, but first by default” option. Given what she had to work with, her leadership was outstanding.

I’m going to go on a tear during the next several weeks to see if there is a legitimate download site for Wishmaster to be found. But I highly doubt there is one. Take the risks with Alawar or decide not to play the game. I will not nominate it for the next playthrough.

And, for that, perhaps I should ask the question. Is it time for another CCPT? Some new games have appeared, including some that might be worth playing in series. (Similar to what we did with the Enigmatis games.) The two Dire Grove games is one pair. And the Drawn trilogy is another option. I’ve volunteered to do the first Dire Grove game. Lady Kestrel will do the second. Sefir has volunteered to do the first Drawn game. Volunteers would have to be found for the second and third. And Crabapple has mentioned another time-travel game I’ve played that is really good.

Do we want to take a break, or dive back in?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I also think Becky did an awesome job as leader. Thank you, Becky. Time Dreamer may not have been as good of a game as we have played previously but that does not make it a bad playthrough choice. I found the comments intriguing and the crowd made it fun to play.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game. Did so in under 4 hours. It was both the shortest and the weakest of the CPTs so far, but I understand that the game’s age is to blame for most of the quality issues? It’s especially jarring considering how great the previous CPT game was…

I believe chapter 5 was the longest, but it also showed just how gullible our protagonist is: “Yes, I’ll happily destroy my father’s revolutionary machine and give you the blueprints, stranger.
No surprise that that came back to bite us. Tongue

The story got progressively distorted after that, though. The jump from getting Giovanni to the CEO spot of Infam and him becoming an evil cyborg overlord is mindblowing. And once we fix things and the game ends, they even fail to explain anything, including the coma from the intro…

That’s one sloppy story, if you ask me. Still, the puzzles were pretty decent, we got to destroy things on occasion Naughty, and the HOGs weren’t bad.

Becky - 11 January 2015 07:03 PM

[spoiler]Something mentioned in the prequel game—Time Dreamer: Temporal Betrayal—that I don’t believe was mentioned here is that the mineral that’s being mined (krawtite) has the effect of allowing time travel in a few people with the right genetic heritage. The Browns have the right genes for time travel, and apparently Giovanni does too.[/spoiler]

That would explain a lot. Why was this not included here???

And now for the bad hair examination. I was unable to find a profile view with the wild hairdo, but here is a back view and two frontal views.

[...]

Comments?

Looks like they were trying for the Albert Einstein / Dr. Emmett Brown effect, but ended up with something more closely resembling a spiked renaissance wig… Tongue

Speaking of Dr. Emmett Brown, your dad in this game is Dr. E. Brown. Could it be a Back to the Future reference?
Because I think I spotted another one (but I clicked away too soon, and didn’t get a good look as a result): the magazine you use for that beaten-to-death puzzle (where you slide a paper under the door and use a thin object to push out the key on the other side of the door) read “Sports Almanac”. I suspect a Back to the Future 2 reference... Tongue

rtrooney - 11 January 2015 08:57 PM

I think Becky deserves a HUGE round of applause for leading this game.

Hear, hear. And she didn’t even vote for the game!

Well done, Becky! Thumbs Up

Do we want to take a break, or dive back in?

I’d prefer a small break (so I can catch up with the other community playthrough), but on the other hand, by the time we’ve settled on a game, we’ll already be a few weeks further down the road anyway…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top