• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

So, how do you rate 2014?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

For me, a year of surprises and disappointments, and also a year of remakes and episodic gaming which seem to be rising with each year.

For me the highlights all came out of nowhere, and the games expected to be good were mostly disappointing. My picks of the year would be Blackwell Epiphany, Ether One and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. And probably Hadean Lands when I finish it. All great games. I’m glad to have discovered the Blackwell series this year, and I must apologise to Frogwares for thinking they weren’t up to making something as good as C&P. They really did a good job.

My disappointments, as I said, were the hyped up “big” games: Moebius, Broken Age, Tesla Effect. None of them were bad per se but I expected excellence, and didn’t get it. Tex was probably the best of the three and it’s interesting that they were all from the “big guns” of the old days, Jensen, Jones and Schafer. Are they past their best? I hope not. Oh and let’s not forget Dracula 4 (I’d prefer to, personally!).

The episodic games and remakes - well, I rarely play remakes as a rule, and usually avoid episodic games until full release. So I cannot judge the GK Remake, Shadowgate or the countless episodic games put out. KRZ looks to be turning out nicely and BS5 a success with the fans. It’s good to see oldies being remade - if they are not going to play the originals, better them playing a remake than nothing at all.

So overall a pretty good year, despite the dubious trend towards episodic games. I’m sure it will look much better once I get around to playing BoUT2, Dreamfall Chapters, in full. There’s a lot I still need to play.

Over to you.  Cool

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, I could have called it a mediocre year if it hadn’t been for the Talos Principle a few weeks ago that blew my mind and easily gets the title for the best game of 2014 IMO.

I loved the first episode of Broken Age with its unique art style and intriguing storyline/characters.

I liked the TWD season 2, Valiant Hearts and, so far, the Golden Wake (not as good as Resonance, Gemini Rue or even Primordia, but a nice game nevertheless).

I also tried the android versions of Botanicula and The Inner World. They seem even better.

Slightly disappointed by Tesla Effect too. I was really hoping for the best Tex game. Ties up the story nice though…

I was never a fun of BS (stopped after the first 2), so I slightly snubbed the 5th one. Perhaps I should try it though, just for my android collection. As for Moebius, I heard such negative reviews for it that I didn’t gave it a try.
Still waiting for the whole pack of Dreamfall Chapters.

EDIT: Surely, I will try the Vanishing of Ethan Carter sometime next year.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

With Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments moving to the Unreal engine to great effect, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter entering the stage as one of the most photorealistic games in any genre, and The Talos Principle looking rather good as well, 2014 may mark a big leap for realistic graphics in adventure games. The Talos Principle was also surprisingly good in writing and puzzle design, to the point that I consider it a major contender for game of the year.

On the 3DS, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright finally came out, and had some of the most gripping writing of either series and imo the best music in either series (which is saying a lot). Sadly I worry this may be the last we hear of either of them for a while. Layton’s prequel trilogy was concluded with Azran Legacy earlier, with no sign of more coming. Dual Destinies was relegated to a digital-only release and the second Miles Edgeworth game never made it to the west in an official capacity, giving some reason to doubt whether the upcoming ace attorney game will.

Liking the tv show a lot, I gave Telltale’s Game of Thrones game a spin. While there’s a lot to like and I quite enjoyed it, I also can’t get the phrase “Stanley Parable with quick-time events” out of my head. (Too harsh? Perhaps. Still can’t get it out of my head.) I’ve said it before but it seems to me we might want to dust off the old “interactive fiction” label and apply it to this.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I had a lot of fun with Heroine’s Quest, Quest for Infamy and Broken Sword 5. They brought back a lot of good memories, couldn’t wish for more (although I was hoping to see Armikrog this year).

Tesla Effect and Moebius were not great, but still entertaining and fun to play. Can’t say the same about Broken Age Act 1 and Gabriel Knight remake.

But the biggest disappointment was the mainstream gaming press that turned into a censorship commission that keeps bashing ags for misogyny, sexism, racism and God knows what else instead of reviewing them.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Over all a pretty decent year with the introduction of not one but two excellent Danganronpa games, the entertaining conclusion of Broken Sword 5 and the not completely stellar but still enjoyable Broken Age part one.

Then near the end of the year The Talos Principle managed to sweep me off my feet out of the blue, and while I have yet to play these games I’m really looking forward to getting into Blackwell Epiphany, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think it has been the best year of adventures in ages.

Top games

1. Tesla Effect

2. Broken Age

3. Wolf Among Us

4. Broken Sword 5

5. Jazzpunk

Other releases that I havn’t played yet include Dreamfall Chapters, Sherlock Holmes, Kentucky Route Zero, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Talos Principle etc

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t played as many new games this year as I hoped but have a few downloaded waiting in the wings. Highlights for me were Broken Sword 5, Blackwell Epiphany, Bosch’s Damnation, Moebius & the Tesla Effect.

I’m looking forward to catching up with Ether 1, The Samaritan Paradox, SH: Crimes & Punishments, the GK remake & quite a few others!

What’s stuck in my mind about the AG offerings this year is the diversity of games & the debates about those that are challenging the boundaries of what an Adventure Game is perceived as.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Doom - 31 December 2014 05:15 AM

I had a lot of fun with Heroine’s Quest, Quest for Infamy and Broken Sword 5. They brought back a lot of good memories, couldn’t wish for more (although I was hoping to see Armikrog this year).

Those were my top 3 also.
Best remake IMO was J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars.

But except for those 4, the games I liked best this year came from 2013 or earlier.
However I haven’t played everything that came out this year.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Wasn’t much I didn’t enjoy this year, except for, sadly, the Pinkerton Road offerings. I liked GK remake better than Moebius- if only for the behind-the-scenes stuff- but it still annoyed me with too many unnecessary changes. I suppose A Golden Wake was Wadjet Eye’s weakest effort to date, but I still had a good time with it. The first parts of Dreamfall and Game of Thrones left me cold, and the second season of TWD irritated me too much for me to enjoy.

I’ve liked most of the kickstarter offerings including BS5 and Tex Murphy. I also liked Valiant Hearts, Sherlock Holmes and even Murdered Soul Suspect.

On a side note, I still can’t cope with RPGs of even the Quest for Infamy variety (even though i really, really WANT to like them) but I’m loving adventure games merging with other genres like platformers in recent times (VH, Stick it to the Man, Brothers, The Cave et al). I do hope games like these keep coming, as I enjoy them a lot. (I know many of those are from 2013 or earlier but my point remains).

I doubt I’ll ever be able to cope with RPG combat in an adventure game though…:(

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I’ve often said that I enjoyed almost every adventure I tried, even the ones that most put at the bottom of their list.
For me 2014 is the worst year ever (though maybe not strictly starting this year). Almost every new game has drm and/or has regional pricing and/or is episodic or split up, so I’m hardly buying games anyway. But what I tried was mostly casual drab.

Low points were probably Lilly Looking Through which is not by any definition an adventure game as it has no story, no exploration and in most locations you can’t even walk (remarkably 4 stars!), and Tesla Effect that tried to force me to accept the Steam eula. I haven’t played it because of that.

To add to it ShinyLoot that advertised with no/low drm is now selling Steam keys and gog introduced regional pricing.
So my new year’s resolution is to stop supporting all this and spend my time making music again. My gog account is already closed, so I don’t know if it’s possible but I’ll try an admin to have my account deleted here too.

Sorry for all the negativity girls/guys but seeing other threads that’s nothing this forum isn’t used to. Wink

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think 2014 was an amazing year for adventure games. Broken Sword 5, Broken Age part 1, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Valiant Hearts, The Walking Dead Season 2, The Wolf Among Us and many more make this one of the best years in recent history. Here’s to hoping that 2015 will be even better.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Very good year. Lots of diverse quality games.

Kickstarter projects finally started being released:
Broken Sword 5 was a quality adventure above my expectations. Good production wuality and story. Also had what was probably my favorite puzzle this year with the decoding of the tablet.
Tesla Effect was my most anticipated kickstarter project and it mostly fulfilled my expectations despite some dodgy HOG puzzles in some chapters and the kind of ridiculous last puzzle. Rest of the game was very good, story had some problems but mostly fun.
Broken Age was disappointing because we are still waiting for half a game. First half was ok thought.
Moebius was not expecting much and it didn’t deliver, some interesting points in the story and gameplay but it falls apart.
Among the Sleep was an interesting but forgetful game. The premise was good but the execution was flat and repetitive for me (despite being short).

Handheld console games were too little but what was released was top quality

Danganronpa 1 and 2 made their debut in the west and it was straight to the top of favorite games of the (too few) people that own a Vita. Felt refreshing with a great premise and characters that delivers on all accounts. Upupupupupu
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright does exactly what the the titles says, joins 2 iconic characters and their gameplay, PW court parts felt more refreshing, Layton felt a bit like the same in the main Layon series. The game did deliver a lot in entertainment.

Telltale did their stuff with uneven results for me:

Walking Dead - Season 2 was not as storng as the first season and was a feeling a bit stale until the ending that was ok. The inwards and problems started to show.
Wolf Among Us delivered in adapting the awesome Fables comics, great characters and voice acting. I wish they took more risk with the gameplay here.
Game of Thrones I didn’t like much, it’s adding to the source materail and the game fell in the usual Telltale trappings and not in a good way.
Tales from the Borderlands kind of blew me away. Funny and exciting telltale episode. Felt like an epic sci-fi action comedy. My favorite Telltale episode of the year.

Indie games in general delivered vey good games:

I played the Blackwell series for the first time around when Blackwell Epiphany so it felt like a very big great game. One series that will probaly stay the peoples memory for a long time with its 2 great main characters. The conclusion was emotional and it delivered.
Journey Down also got a very good episode released and reminded me a lot of old quality Lucasarts adventures with it’s cool characters and snappy dialogue. Also a great soundtrack-
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was probably the best looking adventure of the year and it aws supported by an interesting story.
Jazzpunk is the funniest game of the year. Filled the references to movies and game and a short wacky story.
Talos Principle just arrived and it’s one of the best games of the year. First person Puzzle game with a surprisingly deep story and packed with content.

Big publishers released a couple of interesting adventures.

Ubisoft released Valiant Hearts that was good. Puzzles and gameplay were merely ok but the interesting aspect was the World War I storyline with the multiple characters views. The Ubiart engine and the soundtrack also helped.
Square had Murdered: Soul Suspect that was deeply flawed and forgetful but had some interesting gameplay choices and a creepy town to explore.
Sherlock Holmes; Crimes and Punishments I have not finished but from what I played the Unreal engine upgraded characters and environment look good.

And those were just the ones I actually played, still like oh other releases to play like:
Randals Monday
Dream Machine
Gold Rush Anniversary
Gabriel Knight Remake
A Golden Wake
Neverending Nightmares
JULIA: Among the Stars
Shadowgate
Quest for Infamy
Memento Mori 2
FRACT OSC
Samaritan Paradox
Ether One
Dracula 4
1954: Alcatraz
Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime

That went on for a bit too long… Quick recap: 2014 was great

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-11-18

PM

It was a lukewarm year for traditional point’n'click adventures, especially because of veteran developers either not risking in gameplay or overshooting compared to their resources, recent phenomenons being too conservative in their latest offspring and Daedalic not being as good at discovering talents are they are in first party releases. I can still identify one as my personal surprise of the year, The Samaritan Paradox.

It was instead extremely good for adventures in general, with my top surprises being Danganronpa and the Talos Principle (and a lot more I look forward to that I haven’t had time to try yet, like FRACT OSC, Ether One, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Valiant Hearts).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I agree with most others that 2014 was a great year for Adventure Games, in fact one of the best years we have had in a while.

My personal two favourites and as far as I’m concerned the only two real contenders for goty was Blackwell Epiphany and J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars, both brilliant games that show AG from its very best. Momento Mori II was also a great game I really enjoyed and will recommend for anyone who is looking for a challenge, though not quite as good as Blackwell and JULIA.

Book of Unwritten Tales II would have been a clear candidate for goty if the fifth chapter had also been released in 2014, and from what we have seen of Dreamfall Chapters so far, then I will predict that it will be goty of 2015, no doubt about that Tongue

The Tesla Effect and Broken Sword 5 where also good games, and fully lived up to my expectations, though though they aren’t the best in the two series. Jazzpunk is the weirdest game I have played in a long time, weird in the good way, and funny.

Sherlock Holes: Crime and Punishment was not a bad game, in fact quite good in many ways, but it squandered a lot of opportunities to be really good, or perhaps even great. Replaying Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Farther in HD was something I had been looking forward too for sometime, in fact I had been postponing replaying it, because I didn’t want my experience to turn into a comparison between the old and new versions, and it didn’t disappoint me.

Chapter 2 of The Journey Down was every bit as good as the first chapter, if not better, if only there wasn’t so long between the chapters. Even 1954: Alcatraz turned out to be much better than I had feared after reading the review.

Moebius was the only real disappointment for me, but still only a mediocre game, and not as bad as some would make it seem.

And that is only the games that I can remember right now, I am sure that there is some that I have forgotten Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Wow, really happy to hear the loving mentions of The Journey Down! Really warms my heart. Grin Especially on a crazy strong year like this one! (If you’ve missed out on The Journey Down, be quick and pick it up super cheap from steam right now!)

My personal favs this year are KRZ and Blackwell epiphany. The fact that I think ghost stories are generally the lamest form of entertainment says a lot about how impressive epiphany is. I thought it was hands down awesome.

I enjoyed Broken Age pt 1 but found it a smidgen underwhelming. I guess the hype was pretty much impossible to live up to. Broken Sword 5 was basically everything I wanted it to be though a little visually stale for my preferences. I had expected the environments to be less… static. Yes, environments are pretty much make or break for me.

There are a ton of neat looking titles this year that I still haven’t had a chance to check out, testament to me being hella busy but also to the fact that this clearly has been a very, very strong year for Adventure games. Very eager to dive into Tesla effect, dreamfall chapters, bout2, the new dream machine episode… etc.

Here’s to wishing 2015 to have an equally impressive assortment of awesome titles!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

HandsFree - 31 December 2014 11:23 PM

I’ve often said that I enjoyed almost every adventure I tried, even the ones that most put at the bottom of their list.
For me 2014 is the worst year ever (though maybe not strictly starting this year). Almost every new game has drm and/or has regional pricing and/or is episodic or split up, so I’m hardly buying games anyway. But what I tried was mostly casual drab.

Low points were probably Lilly Looking Through which is not by any definition an adventure game as it has no story, no exploration and in most locations you can’t even walk (remarkably 4 stars!), and Tesla Effect that tried to force me to accept the Steam eula. I haven’t played it because of that.

HandsFree, I too have played a lot of games that get harsh reviews & not rated that much by other players that I’ve found worthwhile of my time.
I haven’t played that many games from 2014 but it certainly has been a year of more diversity so I guess there are quite a few games that aren’t going to suit everyone. 
BTW The Tesla Effect from GoG didn’t require accepting Steam eula & GoG have continued to offer DRM free games but sadly there’s a few new games that are just not available from them. As for episodic releases - I’m quite happy to wait myself for further ones knowing it doesn’t help the developer if they need the revenue to continue with them but then maybe episodic releases need to be complete stories in themselves as I’ve been disappointed with following episodes not turning up! 

To add to it ShinyLoot that advertised with no/low drm is now selling Steam keys and gog introduced regional pricing.

One of the most annoying aspects of DRM is the inability to play older games on my Win 7 because the copyright protection is the thing that’s not compatible rather than the actual game coding –aaaagh!
I’ve not yet used ShinyLoot but if they along with GoG are introducing Steam Keys then the way I see it is they are expanding their business with game developers/publishers that are not going to release their games DRM free anyway & hopefully both portals will continue to offer DRM free games from those that are happy to do so.
Regional pricing has existed as long as I’ve been buying games - boxed copies have always been far cheaper in the US but sadly ‘Interact ‘ a great source is no more, The Adventure Shop has always had different pricing & also Steam - it really is nothing new. 

So my new year’s resolution is to stop supporting all this and spend my time making music again. My gog account is already closed, so I don’t know if it’s possible but I’ll try an admin to have my account deleted here too.

HandsFree, I appreciate your stand against supporting things you don’t agree with but please don’t delete your account, you’ve got a great knowledge of AGs & have posted some great quizzes - just peek every now & again & more than anything share your music with us in one of the other categories of forums here!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top