• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Knobbly Crook - O’Sirus the Snip

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2014-12-22

PM

I’m about a month away from releasing the first episode of The Knobbly Crook, which will be freeware and is being developed with the AGS engine. It’s a very traditional point and clicker, with 1024x800 resolution. I have a WIP Demo you can play around in, although it’s not all working yet (especially the stomach room and the gummerlung interactions). The music works, but sound and voice will be added later.

The Official Site

The January WIP Demo

O’Sirus lives in a world ravaged by animation magic, where most things are golem-like reconfigurations of animals and objects. O’Sirus is a simple paper farmer and a Knobbcrookian. People of the Knobbly Crook represent scissors (or blades) and farm paper crops and paper animals. They live in fear of the stone Bogolds up in the Gnarled Scar and war between the two races seems inevitable. O’Sirus is called to the heart of the Knobbly Crook by a mysterious voice and soon finds he may be the only Knobbcrookian who can prevent all out war and the destruction of his home.

The Paincutioner’s Court:

The Draft Horse:

Inside the Draft Horse:

Drinkers in the Horse’s Ass Bar:

Company Logo:

A slightly outdated video preview of the bar (more freaks have since been added):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQpUAB8PjU

Now developing: THE KNOBBLY CROOK

Joined 2014-12-22

PM

For anyone interested - the first episode has been released (freeware). Episode II is now officially in production Smile

http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/the-knobbly-crook-chapter-i-the-horse-you-sailed-in-on/59177/

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Just played the game and I have to say I’m impressed by universe, characters and art.

And voice work. How did you come up with that? Are you remixing normal sentences or did you really come up with original new language?

Aside from typical adventure games melodies, this world really feels original and weird (in a positive way). I particularly like the way gruesome scenes are presented in mild, funny style. I still wouldn’t say this is a game for kids but it’s doesn’t appear too dark and/or violent. I’d say it’s similar to Tom&Jerry; cartoons in that regard.

Puzzles were good, they were logical but sometimes they seemed a little bit too reliant on trial-and-error process.

I would never think of rerouting saxophone’s head in other way, based on hints I was (not) given.

However, interface needs a bit polish, in my opinion. I prefer two-click interface present in Broken Sword games. Basically, left click serves as an action button (talk, use item, pick it up) and right click as look only button. I don’t mind AGs with more actions (separate talk, pick up, use item, etc.), but only when they are incorporated in one button. Example, right click is for walking around and left click shows you array of options (talk, look, use, etc.) and then you choose the action you want to.

I’m thinking of something like this.

http://imgur.com/RP8wg3j

Here, you can choose if you’re going to talk or look at the mime in Gabriel Knight remake.

It’s a bit tedious going through set of actions if you have unintentionally clicked one more or just going back to walking action. Also, you should simplify inventory use. Clicking an item and then choosing Okay! as confirmation can also seem too tedious. Just put inventory as a floating dock/black bar at the end of the screen (again, BS reference, I really love that game’s UI) or use typical floating bag inventory, as seen in recent Daedalic games.

On the other hand, I don’t know how much of this is possible with AGS engine. Lots of AGS games don’t come with a hotspot button (highlights all relevant items in a scene, a must have repellent against unwanted pixel h(a)unting syndrome) so I don’t really know can you do it.

But I’m hoping you can. And will. Laughing

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2014-12-22

PM

Thanks for the great feedback! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it.

You make a great point on the interface - it definitely is about as old-school as it gets with a mouse. What you’re describing can be accomplished in AGS, it’s just a little bit beyond my skill level (I definitely don’t have a programmer brain and the UI was one of the trickier ones for me). I think after the three episodes are done, I’ll do a “director’s cut” version with all merged, improve the interface, and add other new and strange things. By then, I should be an AGS guru Smile

For the voices, I just spat out gibberish for most of the lines, but tried to keep the English rhythm where I could so you could follow along. There are a few words for different things I try to repeat, but the Knobbcrookians mostly speak a language based on pure chaos (you’ll understand why in future episodes).

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I think after the three episodes are done, I’ll do a “director’s cut” version with all merged, improve the interface, and add other new and strange things. By then, I should be an AGS guru

That would be great. I think lot of people are turned off by adventures that don’t have item labels/hotspots/complicated UI so it should increase sales/downloads of the game. Of course, if you mean to sell it via normal way. I think 3 - 5 dollars would be a fair price for (this) episode but I’m not a marketing manager so don’t take me on that. Smile

For the voices, I just spat out gibberish for most of the lines, but tried to keep the English rhythm where I could so you could follow along. There are a few words for different things I try to repeat, but the Knobbcrookians mostly speak a language based on pure chaos (you’ll understand why in future episodes).

Yeah, I noticed a pattern in some sentences so I was curious how it’s managed.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey! Looking forward to playing this, I know nothing about the game but the art style is gorgeous. Congrats, man! Hope you find a way to be rewarded for your effort. Keep it up!

Joined 2014-12-22

PM

Thanks! I actually have a game-making day job at Ubisoft, so I get paid there. The Knobbly Crook is just how I deal with my noisy brain outside of work, so I’m OK giving it away for free.

(also: my site seems to be struggling this week, so I apologize for any missing pictures. I’m hoping it will resolve itself soon)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top