• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinlakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Randal’s monday

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve played this for about 13 hours and noticed there doesnt seem to be a topic dedicated to the game here. There’s been at least a few points where I wanted to quit the game.. The puzzle logic is frequently bad. The game doesnt give you enough direction. The hint system just gives you answers instead of nudging you in the right direction. But I kept playing anyway. The humor is amusing. The story is long and entertaining. And then i realized how much the game reminds me of another lovable but flawed classic: a game that also has
*puzzles that are convoluted and nonsense driven
*dialogues that ramble endlessly
*some known solid voice acting talent that helps make the rambling bearable  

None other than: discworld.
Though im not sure if the humor tastes would intersect for everyone between the two games..
Regardless! Its an interesting game that i have ultimately enjoyed so far and its worth some discussion.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I myself gave up (for a while now) on ags with this kind of ridiculous foolish puzzle solving of that old school of the original MI’s using the Jolly Rodger flag as human pressed skull

Its a good developed/produced adventure with no doubt, but again its not for me (at least nowadays), I gave up on it with the mixing drink puzzle (early at the beginning), I am more into serious ags, or with humor (why not!) but without this kind of logic.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

If a game is genuinely funny- and the fact is very few adventures are, even the ones claiming to be comedies- then I’m actually usually pretty tolerant of illogical puzzles.

Is it really in the same stratosphere as Discworld 1 though? That might pushing my tolerance a bit too far. Wink

I am keen to give it a go sometime. I like Jeff Anderson.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I quite like Jeff Anderson too, and Randal’s Monday was a game I was looking forward to, but there’s been so many complaints about the puzzles being illogical that I’m back on the fence. I absolutely enjoy difficult puzzles, but not when they’re difficult because they don’t make sense. I’ll probably give it a go sooner or later anyway tough.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

A.A - 28 December 2014 07:00 PM

Is it really in the same stratosphere as Discworld 1 though? That might pushing my tolerance a bit too far. Wink

I am keen to give it a go sometime. I like Jeff Anderson.

I’d say maybe its technically slightly more rooted in reality than discworld…. but it has tons of questionable logic that put it in the same “zone”. one of many constant small examples: you have a coat hanger wire, you need to turn it into a lockpick. the game doesnt give you any indication of why you cant just start using it as a lockpick. Turns out you need to throw it into a blender.. to make it better for lockpicking..? To make matters worse the blender is already filled with blood, so it makes it even less likely as something i would just try.. but the game ignores this when you use the wire on the blender and you just get a twisted wire for your lockpick

But jeff anderson is quite good in this, and the amount of voice acting is huge.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

one more thing (must not be forgotten)about the game, it can easily (and with no doubt) get the full mark for its soundtrack!; the guitar work, the composing, the flat (deliberately given) output, gives this OST one unique sound and experience, an unmatched output considering all the adventure games given through these 33-35 years of the genre. absolutely ‘very’ plausible!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i just finished it. And the music is definitely a strong point, and they come up with a variety of great tunes at intervals throughout the game. I particularly enjoyed the stuff during the last chapter.
Its a pretty epic and entertaining game, and i recommend playing through and using the “hint system” (its really an in-game walkthrough) whenever you feel frustrated at all just to get through it.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but how can you enjoy the game while mostly peeking through a walkthrough all the time, I lose part of fun every time I use walkthroughs, one time and I am irritated, two and I am feeling so uncomfortable, three and I get this feeling that neglecting the whole experience or opening the walkthrough, start copying everything that is said, all the same to me, and I am not wanting to think of any puzzle anymore, it becomes like watching a football match with an earlier knowledge of the game’s score, just turning the pages to reach the end.
walkthroughs destroys the concept of fun at any adventure game, the fun that is all around feeling rewarded for your achievements each time you solve a puzzle, that’s why I care about game’s puzzles more than anything else, graphics, game’s design, animations, soundtrack, voice acting ..etc, etc all come next.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 29 December 2014 04:26 PM

but how can you enjoy the game while mostly peeking through a walkthrough all the time, I lose part of fun every time I use walkthroughs, one time and I am irritated, two and I am feeling so uncomfortable, three and get this feeling that neglecting the whole experience or open the walkthrough and start copying everything that is said, all the same to me, and I am not wanting to think of any puzzle anymore, it becomes like watching a football match with an earlier knowledge of the game’s score, just turning the pages to reach the end.
walkthroughs destroys the concept of fun at any adventure game, the fun that is all around feeling rewarded for your achievements each to you solve a puzzle, that’s why I care about game’s puzzles more than anything else, graphics, game’s design, animations, soundtrack, voice acting ..etc, etc all come next.

I generally agree. I dont normally resort to walkthroughs, it makes the game less fun. But I was enjoying the humor and story enough that it became worth it to just use the in-game system whenever it got frustrating. And i went through some stretches where I was able to solve puzzles naturally and it was fun. But there are many points in the game where the puzzles are ridiculous and unreasonable.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Just my two cents. I finished the game without resorting to a walkthrough and mostly it was great fun. (Of course it took me more than 30 hours to reach the end.) Therefore it is perfectly possible to enjoy the game without hints.There were a few obscure puzzles (like the mixing drink one), but most puzzles were both logical (in terms of the wacky world they take place in) and old-school fun and the game is practically choke-full of them. I loved the humor and though the story didn’t add up to much more than an extremely enjoyable parody, I had a lot of fun playing it. Lost count of all the pop-culture references and probably even missed some but the breadth of them was amazing. People who enjoy more challenging older adventure games should definitely take a look at it.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Castledoque - 29 December 2014 04:44 PM

Just my two cents. I finished the game without resorting to a walkthrough and mostly it was great fun. (Of course it took me more than 30 hours to reach the end.)

yep!!! I can understand that. Using hints when things got annoying it took about 17 hours to finish. I probably couldv made myself suffer more and finish it in 30… but no thanks. But i disagree on the logic being good… there was easily a dozen or more examples where i thought the logic was either bad or badly presented such as : when you need batteries early in the game you just right click on a remote and the batteries come out… later when you right click on the lightsabre toy the game doesnt even mention that theres batteries in it.. nevermind that it also has screws.. but youre just supposed to assume it has screws, and batteries, and use a phillips head (not the flat blade) screwdriver. The whole thing would be greatly improved if when you right clicked the sabre it said “hm theres screws on the battery cover.” May seem like a small thing, but the small things add up in this game.. over and over and over

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the game even is cheating plus that wacky logic, I give it a try again continuing where I left , I know that I have changed the gas cylinder (at the pawn shop) with an empty one, so why the hell would I think of trying to use it and heat the corn-bowl unless I have to think that the shop owner had changed it while I am gone, but that’s way too far, maybe not for a total old school adventure structure, but you cant expect me to think like I used to 20 years ago when I just have finished playing The Waling Dead or even the Broken Age a day or two ago.

When the difficulty rate of adventure games being stretched way too far at both ends, it can be very confusing, old days there were only that, and one can expect one ag’s difficulty easily by how the genre was feeding us, but this way (of today) it might demands reviews or game’s covers to come out with the difficulty rating announced.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^i wish i could say questionable logic like that stops happening… but it doesnt. I also came very very close to quitting.
Its fun anyway.
And i just noticed the calendar pdf in the included bonuses and am seriously considering printing it out. It looks really nice.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, seems the best way to enjoy this game is having a walkthrough handy, which isn’t good at all.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2983

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 29 December 2014 05:31 PM

...you cant expect me to think like I used to 20 years ago when I just have finished playing The Waling Dead or even the Broken Age a day or two ago.

When the difficulty rate of adventure games being stretched way too far at both ends, it can be very confusing, old days there were only that, and one can expect one ag’s difficulty easily by how the genre was feeding us, but this way (of today) it might demands reviews or game’s covers to come out with the difficulty rating announced.

There!! Do you see now what you lose Advie by not participating in any AGCP??
If you had taken part in the Discworld AGCP just a while ago, then your way of thinking in Randal’s Monday would not have been that rusted! Tongue

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I was wondering why know one has mentioned this till now. I like the art style and the obvious gaming references going on, but the badly illogical puzzles sound like my idea of hell. Might pick it up on the cheap or something.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top