• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Group O -  The BAG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

********************************************** Points    7pt   5pt   3pt   2pt   1pt
1. Monkey Island 2
LeChuck’s Revenge          194       20     8     3     2     1
************************************************************************************
2. Blackwell Epiphany                          111        7     9     4     2     1
************************************************************************************
3. Simon the Sorcerer                           74        2     6     5     7     1
4. The Black Mirror                             72        3     4     7     4     2
5. Tales of Monkey Island                       59        3     3     4     4     3
6. Heavy Rain                                   56        2     3     6     3     3
7. Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit)             53        2     3     4     5     2
8. Hotel DuskRoom 215                         29        1     2     3     1     1

p49

Vote for up to five games you’d like to see advance to the next round.

First choice (7 points)
Second choice (5 points)
Third choice (3 points)
Fourth choice (2 points)
Fifth choice (1 point)

Voting for this group will end on 31st December at 23:59 GMT. The four games with the most points will advance.

Not sure what this tournament is all about? See the Overview thread here. Join in and have fun!

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

This is a sequel to Secret of Monkey Island. Guybrush Threepwood is back again, and this time around is searching for the mysterious treasure called (drum roll, please) Big Whoop. Already having defeated LeChuck and becoming a pirate, he assumes it’ll be smooth sailing on his new voyage. He only has a few things standing in his way—namely he’s stuck on a strange island run by pirates, has no boat, no map to the treasure, and recently lost all of his material possessions to LeChuck’s former right-hand man, Largo LaGrande. Not to mention the fact that Largo has stopped all pirates from setting sail. The evil ghost pirate LeChuck hasn’t left the stage also. His subordinates are trying to bring him back from the dead one more time. Guybrush must also win back Elaine’s love as their relationship hasn’t gone well. The game utilizes the same command-based SCUMM interface and branching dialogue system that were used in its predecessor. The game features hand-painted graphics, many new locations, and plenty of challenging puzzles to solve.MI2 is considered by many fans and critics to be among (if not) the best of LucasArts’ adventure games. It was also the first adventure game that in the beginning offered 2 levels of puzzle difficulty. The easy level had some puzzles and minor plot elements trimmed. Despite its immense popularity, its intelligent, ambiguous and surrealistic ending drew criticism in some circles, that coupled with specific, darker vibe made LCR a bad boy of adventure community.

Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain is a dark, immersive and emotionally-engaging experience that expands upon the innovative ideas of 2005’s acclaimed Fahrenheit to create a noir-thriller where decisions are charged with importance and actions can have drastic and unforseen consequences. Breaking with traditional game conventions where necessary, the gameplay is based around story, emotional involvement and the player’s decisions and interactions, rather than high-scores, combat and competition. Quantic Dream’s story-driven interactive drama is excellent, gorgeous, but exclusive to PlayStation 3.

Simon The Sorcerer

Simon is just an ordinary boy in an extra-ordinary world. A world in which he must rescue Calypso the Wizard by embarking on a long challenging quest. The game is a point-and-click adventure, using a typical interface with words such as ‘Use’, ‘Open’, ‘Walk To’ and ‘Pick Up’ (for these last two unlike Lucasarts’ SCUMM games a simple click on that area of the screen won’t do). The game’s plot has a number of references and spoofs to fantasy and fairy tales, with the Three Billy Goats Gruff involved in a particularly significant scene. The humor is very British in places, with lots of dry sarcasm, and lots of Simpsons-esque self-references to the fact that this is a computer game. The levels are non-linear in layout, with puzzles spread across the lands. It is a surprisingly long game and the game world is quite large even by today’s standards. It’s beautifully drawn giving the story a magical, fairy tale quality.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy)

French developer Quantic Dream refers to Indigo Prophecy (known as Fahrenheit in Europe) as an “interactive drama” like being inside a movie. It’s a paranormal thriller set in New York City. Outside, a winter storm descends on the city, while indoors a series of inexplicable murders has begun, with random strangers brutally killing each other with ritualistic precision. One of these killers is Lucas Kane, the game’s central (though not only) protagonist. After being entranced by a disturbing vision that compels him to viciously stab a defenseless man, he has no memory of committing the crime, yet still holding the bloody weapon, Lucas knows he must evade capture in order to discover the truth behind his unwilling involvement. The story eventually snowballs into occult themes, from ancient Mayan mythology to apocalyptic prophesies to rival secret societies. The element of choice is the most highly-touted aspect of the game, and the game offers far more player options than traditional titles. The psychological condition of your characters is the main area of consequence for your choices. Each character has a mental health bar that rises and falls according to the story unfolding. Make an upsetting decision and you’ll lose points; take a favourable course of action and you’ll gain points. To accomplish actions like trying to run from the police, a “get ready” will appear in the front of the screen and it will show you the ‘up down left right’ picture with different colors and you must hit the right colors and keep up with it. The music, visuals, story and acting are all well done. The title of Fahrenheit was changed to Indigo Prophecy in the North America to avoid confusion with the film Fahrenheit 9/11. To avoid 18+ rating, which would have had the game stripped from store shelves, most of the scenes depicting sex (one of which is interactive) and other adult content were removed from the North American versions. An exception is the final sex scene between Carla and Lucas, which was not completely cut from the game, but was shortened by removing the most graphic shots. Though one shot in the edited version is from an angle that should display Carla’s nipples, the nipples were removed from her model.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

The new “interactive novel” for the DS looks to turn the adventure genre on its side, but comes with a few reservations. Kyle Hyde, an ex-cop who left the force three years earlier, now finds himself as a traveling salesman. Along with being a salesman, he also does some investigating on the side and he finds himself at Hotel Dusk. While there, he is asked to find some items but soon finds himself looking into the mysterious stories surrounding the hotel, the guests staying there and how it all relates to Kyle’s own past and his former partner on the force. Hotel Dusk is another good release from Cing. The game is entertaining, and a worthwhile purchase for any DS owner who enjoys a lot of story in their games and doesn’t mind the occasional lame puzzle.

The Black Mirror

The Black Mirror is a point and click adventure game from Czech developers set around the Black Mirror mansion. You play the role of Samuel Gordon, who has returned there to attend his grandfather William’s funeral. Samuel believes foul play was involved with his grandfather’s death. As Samuel Gordon you will explore multiple locations within and outside of the mansion to undercover the truth behind William’s death. While investigating, other deaths continue to occur. How do these other deaths relate to William’s death? The game itself is a mystery/horror/detective game. The 2D graphics are very impressive as is the sound and help to greatly enhance the mood and atmosphere of the game. It became a cult hit. With its grisly subject matter and relentlessly dark atmosphere, the game oozed tension and delivered plenty of perverse thrills, including your own death in disgusting fashion over and over again. It also ended with one of the most shocking finales of all time.

Blackwell Epiphany

This is the final game in the excellent Blackwell series. A dead man’s soul cries out for help, then screams as he is torn apart. This wasn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last. The police are powerless to stop it, so the duty falls to the only who can. What force could be so powerful - and so malevolent - that it would destroy the very core of a life in order to get what it wants? Rosa Blackwell and Joey Mallone mean to find out, even if it means risking themselves in the process. The Blackwell Epiphany is very polished and at times packs a real emotional punch, sending the series out on a high. The series finale is also its zenith, as Wadjet Eye’s popular paranormal mystery series comes to a crackling close.

Tales of Monkey Island

This is a five-chapters “season” of new adventures of Guybrush Threepwood. Tales of Monkey Island is more of a serialized adventure. While still delivering a self-contained experience in each installment, the overall storyline is a much more cohesive throughout the full season. During a heated battle with his nemesis, the evil pirate LeChuck, Guybrush unwittingly unleashes an insidious pox that rapidly spreads across the Caribbean, turning pirates into zombie-like monsters. The Voodoo Lady sends Guybrush in search of a legendary sea sponge to stem the epidemic, but this seemingly straightforward quest has surprises around every corner.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

7 - blackwell epiphany
5 - hotel dusk
3 - heavy rain
2 - simon the sorceror

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

7 - Blackwell Epiphany
5 - Monkey Island 2
3- Hotel Dusk
2 - Heavy Rain
1 - Tales of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

The Black Mirror = 7 points

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I really need to play Blackwell Epiphany.  I’m going to see if I can squeeze it in by the end of the week, before voting.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I either haven’t played or didn’t care for some of the games in this category. So I hope this is allowed. If it is not, I won’t vote.

3 - MI 2
2 - Black Mirror

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

7 - Simon the Sorcerer
5 - Monkey Island 2
3 - Heavy Rain

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

7 - Simon the Sorcerer
5 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
3 - Hotel Dusk: Room 215

How on earth are any of these DS games advancing to the knockout stages if they’re only getting 3 points from me (ditto for Ghost Trick)? Tongue

Giving 7 points to MI2 and 5 to Simon would’ve worked as well for me. But maybe Simon will need the push a little more… Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

1) Monkey Island 2
2) Fahrenheit
3) Blackwell
4) Simon the Sorcerer

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Karlok - 24 December 2014 11:09 PM

I either haven’t played or didn’t care for some of the games in this category. So I hope this is allowed. If it is not, I won’t vote.

3 - MI 2
2 - Black Mirror

Unfortunately not Karlok Frown 
If you didn’t really like those two, then it is indeed maybe better not to give them points anyway.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

7 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
5 - Simon the Sorcerer
3 - Tales of Monkey Island
2 - Heavy Rain

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

1) Blackwell Epiphany
2) Fahrenheit