• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Group M -  The BAG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

7 - Sam & Max: Hit the Road
5 - The Dagger of Amon Ra
3 - The Dig
2 - Cognition
1 - Amber: Journey’s Beyond

Hit the Road had probably the best rendition of Americana in games and The Dagger of Amon Ra is one of the best and most underrated from Sierra’s catalogue.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

I’ve gone right off this idea lol. Seems every single group I’m split between 2 or (such as here) 3 for first! Really tough…

1. Dreamfall - The Longest Journey - 7pts
2. Sam & Max Hit the Road - 5pts
3. Tex - Pandora Directive - 3pts
4. Cognition - 2pts
5. Overclocked - 1pt

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

7 - The Pandora Directive
5 - Sam and Max Hit the Road
3 - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
2 - The Dagger of Amon Ra
1 - The Dig

I felt that The Dig’s story kind of fell apart by the end (perhaps the result of so many rewrites under different project leads), but it’s still got a lot going for it as an interesting but flawed classic. It has great atmosphere and the Myst-like puzzles are an interesting departure for LucasArts.

I like Ghost Trick overall and it’s full of clever ideas, like traveling through phone lines. But I found that the puzzles were often variations on a theme and the repeated need to prevent people’s deaths grew somewhat tedious as it went along. Also, I didn’t feel that the thin, cartoonish characters were enough to sustain such a long, involved mystery as this, and I began to wish for something less goofball. I greatly preferred Phoenix Wright (also by Shu Takumi), because 1) the main characters were more interesting and likable; 2) the mysteries are short episodes, so in that context it’s actually fitting and enjoyable that the side characters are thin and cartoonish; and 3) the alternation between investigating a crimescene and looking for contradictions in the courtroom helps keep the gameplay fresher and better paced. (At least in the first game—I have not played the umpteen sequels.)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Caliburn - 31 December 2014 06:25 PM

(At least in the first game—I have not played the umpteen sequels.)

The second game (And Justice for All) is slightly weaker than the first, but the third game (Trials and Tribulations) is of equal quality. I’d even say the writing’s better than in the first game…

Sadly, both games lack a DS-exclusive case like the last case of the first game, so they’re pretty much straight-forward ports of the GBA games…

Apollo Justice and the Miles Edgeworth spinoff never reached the same heights, imo. I still haven’t played the Layton crossover or Dual Destinies, but it sounds like they don’t quite make that level of quality either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The final results for group M are:

***********************************************************************************
1. Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive               150   (M1)
************************************************************************************
2. Sam & Max Hit the Road                                 134   (M2)
************************************************************************************
3. The Dig                                                           133   (M3)
4. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey                     112   (M4)
5. Overclocked                                                     47
6. The Dagger of Amon Ra (aka Laura Bow II)    41
7. Cognition                                                         31
8. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective                       29
9. Amber: Journey’s Beyond                                 16

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top