• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Undefined

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Group K -  The BAG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Bogi - 30 December 2014 01:38 PM

I think this is most interactivity (exploration, puzzles, sense of accomplishment…) vs storytelling and cinematic experience.

Yeah, this is true.  But still, it’d be very disappointing to see a game like TWD not get in when it’s the absolute height of the genre in the 2nd category, IMO.

Also I personally view it just as interactive as any other game, but just in a very different way.  Instead of puzzles to solve you are interacting with the story and making constant choices.  Even in normal conversations you are choosing what you say, and you’ll never get the option to say that other thing and see how they would’ve responded, unless you go back and play it again.

And interacting directly with the story instead of the environment is an impressive innovation in its own right.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Detective Mosely - 30 December 2014 02:03 PM

...And interacting directly with the story instead of the environment is an impressive innovation in its own right….

To be honest, Heavy Rain achieved that some years before TWD (and in much bigger extend), so it was not exactly innovative from their side. I agree though that I will be surprised if TWD doesn’t make it, since it’s story and characters (both seasons) were great. At least, Gray Matter is a highly underrated game in my books and deserves some credit.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The reason why I love The Walking Dead so much is that it is one of the few video games (whether adventure or otherwise) that moved me. Valiant Hearts and Brothers are 2 other ones I can think of recently. Most of the adventure games I have played before either let me laugh, or enjoy a great story, but very few had the emotional impact that The Walking Dead has. I agree with Detective Mosely in that I consider it a landmark in adventure games. I know a lot of people do not like the fact that it has no puzzles and is not traditional, but these aspects would probably have just been barriers in the emotional story the designers were trying to engage us in.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I will refrain from commenting on the qualities or lack of same in TWD, but I have no doubt that it would have done better if this tournament had been held one year ago. To me it seems like many have already gotten tired of the TT formula, and now want more than what TWD had to offer.

At least that is my explanation for why one of the highest ranked games on the main site, aren’t doing better in this tournament.

I am a bit more surprised at why Simon aren’t doing any better.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

1. Grim Fandango - 7pts
2. Gray Matter - 5pts
3. The Walking Dead - 3pts

I have no mouth is waiting to be played (together with quite a few others!), Loom I’ve never managed yet either. Phoenix Wright’s lack of a PC version is a killer for me - I’m sure I’d like it a lot Frown.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Gray Matter is the dark horse!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The final results for group K are:

***********************************************************************************
1. Grim Fandango                                               200   (K1)
************************************************************************************
2. Loom                                                                 88   (K2)
************************************************************************************
3. Gray Matter                                                       83   (K3)
4. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream                 82   (K4)
5. The Walking Dead                                             74
6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney                             55
7. Simon the Sorcerer II                                         50
8. John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles                     44

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oh well… Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top