• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbCharophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Group K -  The BAG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 28 December 2014 09:46 PM

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7709109

Smile

Grin

Looks like Gray Matter is running away…

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

7- Loom
5- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
3- Grim Fandango
2- Simon
1- Gray Matter

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

First choice (I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream )
Second choice (Loom)
Third choice (Grim Fandango)
Fourth choice (Gray Matter)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

7 - I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
5 - Gray Matter
3 - Loom
2 - Simon the Sorcerer II
1 - Grim Fandango

I always thought Grim Fandango is a way overrated and Gray Matter extremely underrated, especially on this site. I’m sorry Simon couldn’t make it, but to be fair the first part is a superior game. Glad to see that I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is getting a late, but deserving approval.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Ahh!  The Walking Dead is now in 5th place.  I’ll be crushed if that doesn’t make it through the first round.

I’m a huge Jane Jensen fan (as evidenced by my screenname and avatar), but there’s no way Gray Matter deserves to be placed above TWD.  Nor Loom for that matter.  Loom has some cool musical puzzles, but does it even have a story?  If so, I don’t remember it at all.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Bogi - 30 December 2014 04:04 AM

I’m sorry Simon couldn’t make it, but to be fair the first part is a superior game.

Complete opposite opinion on that one. I always found Simon the Sorcerer II to be the better of the two, even though they’re both way up there in terms of quality.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 30 December 2014 07:27 AM

Ahh!  The Walking Dead is now in 5th place.  I’ll be crushed if that doesn’t make it through the first round.

I’m a huge Jane Jensen fan (as evidenced by my screenname and avatar), but there’s no way Gray Matter deserves to be placed above TWD.  Nor Loom for that matter.  Loom has some cool musical puzzles, but does it even have a story?  If so, I don’t remember it at all.

Why not?
Gray Matter is for me a far superior game in every field, Jane’s storytelling at its best (without some stupid world domination plots), true emotions without forced exploitation, beautiful hand drawn graphics (especially cutscenes) and music that I can listen for hours. Only the ending was somewhat corny and flawed. And of course the most important, it actually contains puzzles and a few really good ones for that sake.

And regarding Loom, I’m not sure if it’s even fair to be compared with other “regular” games. If I needed to show someone an example and a proof that computer games are an art form, then I wouldn’t have a second of a doubt, it certainly had to be Loom. It really is woven from fabric of magic, if you cut it I think it bleeds mana Smile I’m not sure if I should continue to explain why (at least for me) it is head, shoulders, legs and ankles above any prosaic, quasi-horror, survival story that are so trendy in recent years.

Kasper F. Nielsen - 30 December 2014 07:41 AM
Bogi - 30 December 2014 04:04 AM

I’m sorry Simon couldn’t make it, but to be fair the first part is a superior game.

Complete opposite opinion on that one. I always found Simon the Sorcerer II to be the better of the two, even though they’re both way up there in terms of quality.

To be fair, I have to do a replay of them to give a fair assessment, but this is what I remember about them 15-20 years since playing. (I’m so old Cry )

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with Kasper that Simon II is even better than Simon I, and I loved Simon I. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I ran through playthroughs now, and I still stay by my first opinion :p
That music and the whole atmosphere in the first part is simply out of this world.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I find the humour in the first Simon was a little bit more up to my taste, but I can easily understand anyone who believes the other way around. Both great quality games of course…

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I agree that it is a travesty if The Walking Dead didn’t make it. To me, it is one of my favorie games of all time and one of the best modern adventure games. There is a reason it got game of the year accolodes from many journalists.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Bogi - 30 December 2014 07:55 AM

Why not?
Gray Matter is for me a far superior game in every field, Jane’s storytelling at its best (without some stupid world domination plots), true emotions without forced exploitation, beautiful hand drawn graphics (especially cutscenes) and music that I can listen for hours. Only the ending was somewhat corny and flawed. And of course the most important, it actually contains puzzles and a few really good ones for that sake.

Gray Matter was a good idea but it was a game that was quite flawed, IMO.  It showed so little polish in all of the little areas that are necessary to create a game that generated any real emotion.  I think it would’ve been an infinitely better game had Jane actually been in a studio working with a team instead of nearly all of the work being outsourced.  (and this was probably true of her later projects too)

The Walking Dead, on the other hand, completely knocks it out of the park in all of those areas, and creates a more cinematic story that kind of transcends the medium.  And the addition of all the tough morally gray decisions and conversations that were constantly interactive (in meaningful ways, instead of just clicking on all the options) makes it a story that could only be told in a video game.  Gray Matter’s story could’ve been more effectively told in any medium.

To be fair, I haven’t played Loom for many years, and I don’t remember it very well, so I guess I can’t really make an honest comparison there.  But it really didn’t leave that big of an impression on me, personally.  Whereas The Walking Dead was a game changer for the adventure game genre in a lot of ways for a lot of people.  (Although most of the people on this site would either deny that or say that it was a game changer in a bad way Tongue )

In a way, it’s kind of the Myst of its era, with a big wide reaching appeal that is appealing to non-adventure gamers as well.  Personally I didn’t like the Myst games as I mainly play adventure games for the stories and the characters.  But with TWD, I think it’s going to do a lot of good things in terms of evolving the way stories are told, not just in adventure games, but in all games in general.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Detective Mosely - 30 December 2014 12:44 PM

...Personally I didn’t like the Myst games as I mainly play adventure games for the stories and the characters…

You haven’t played any Myst game, have you? They probably have the most detailed backstories ever in adventure game history… Smile

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Sefir - 30 December 2014 01:15 PM
Detective Mosely - 30 December 2014 12:44 PM

...Personally I didn’t like the Myst games as I mainly play adventure games for the stories and the characters…

You haven’t played any Myst game, have you? They probably have the most detailed backstories ever in adventure game history… Smile

I have, but only the original.  It’s just not the kind of storytelling I’m drawn to.  Being able to interact with interesting characters inside of a story is one of the main draws of video game storytelling to me.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think this is most interactivity (exploration, puzzles, sense of accomplishment…) vs storytelling and cinematic experience. The people who put more weight on the latter are mostly fascinated with TWD and cherish it, while the others are more prone to find its flaws and criticize it, even to the point that they think it isn’t an adventure game at all.

I finished both seasons and for me its flaws (complete lack of puzzles, weak graphics for a game which focuses on cinematic experience, too much exploitation to the point it looks forced even for a game)  seriously outweigh its qualities (very good story which put before the player very tough moral dilemmas and very dynamic cinematic experience, plus excellent sound department).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top