• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

some interesting sales number from Primordia (wormwood/WEG)

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

On rpgcodex, wormwood studios has shared the sales numbers of Primordia over the last 2 years.
It’s one of my favorite Wadjet eye games, so for me it was an interesting read:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/primordia-a-point-and-click-adventure-now-available.49740/page-25#post-3625339

As of last month (23 total months of sales), Primordia had sold 98,109 copies. Of those, 40,207 were in two bundles (Indie Royale and Groupees) that were (in hindsight) not great for Primordia, though they spread word of mouth, etc. It’s hard to know how to analyze bundle sales—too many confounding variables—so I’ll just take them out entirely. That leaves 57,902 non-Bundle sales. Of those, a fairly trivial number (I didn’t bother counting) were direct sales: perhaps 800, no more than 1,000. (Most of those sales were pre-sales that could made only through direct sales.)

they won’t get rich with this though Wink

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Interesting read. And thats kind of what i thought: steam obviously sells to a larger crowd than gog, but with certain games the gap becomes a lot closer.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Definitely an interesting breakdown and a shame we didn’t get that Cloudscape Project. I loved the art style and the lore of the robots. I did my part and bought two copies (First a physical copy and then later on Gog). If you liked Primordia, I encourage you to check out the free game Salt on Wormwood Studios website. Also, here’s hoping that we won’t have to wait to long for their new game Fallen Gods!

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I bought physical copy too when it was offered before release. One of the best adventures from 2012! I have to try Salt soon..
It is always interesting to read about sales figures and it would be nice to see them more often.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s actually pretty sad that the bundle sales make such little money for the devs, though it’s been always pretty clear, at least to me, that the only real winner in bundles is the bundle itself, not as much the devs nor even the charities.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I’m a bit surprised that Primordia hasn’t even sold 100 000! I know indie adventure is niche, but come on, so great game should do better!

On other notes, I’m actually optimistic that Cloudscape will turn out to be something anyway at some point. Smile
Regarding Salt - thumbs up! I also recommend Beacon.

But what is Fallen Gods?! Going to research…

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Well, just to put these numbers in something of a context, Ars Technica’s reverse-engineered statistics for the Steam marketplace may be of interest.

From Page 2 - Estimated Sales Per Title, Organized by Sales Rank:

The vast middle ground of titles on Steam sell somewhere between 10,000 and 110,000 copies.

Of course, Primordia also sold well through GOG and bundles, so obviously we can’t just compare its Steam sales. But this may help clarify the range within most games on Steam can expect to sell, and illustrate why the developer of Primordia considers its numbers as solid for a niche point-and-click adventure despite that he isn’t getting rich off it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top