• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games on PS Vita

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Hey guys,

We’re currently considering porting The Journey Down to the PS Vita since the process doesn’t seem too difficult and the hardware seems to be a pretty good fit. The PS Vita input should be a fairly straight forward copy of how we interact with the game on iOS (which in my opinion is awesome!). All of this adds up to what potentially could be a pretty pain-free port.

Question is: Is there a market at all for Classic adventure games on the PS Vita? Do they exist there in any sense? I noticed BS5 is on the Vita. What are your opinions of it, and does anyone have a clue whether it appears to have been a success on that platform or not?

Having way less of an established fan-base, and zero capital for marketing, I’m wondering if we’ll have any chance there whatsoever, or if we’ll simply drown among all the noise.

Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated. Thanks!  Heart

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Don’t know if there’s an adventure market, Revolution or Amanita would probably be more helpful there. From my experience I do know that it’s an excellent platform for adventures with the excellent touch screen and analogue sticks. The install base is not very big but it has a dedicated fan-base that buys a lot a stuff so indies seemm to be happy with how the games perform on the platform.
I do think Journey Down is excellent and would be a good fit, the more quality adventures in there the better.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is about 10 million VITAs out there. The attach rate for software is very high and in the eighth generation the VITA has the most adventure games.

There are some hits on the system too - like Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 as well.

PSN only games sell very well - 50% of all VITA games are bought through PSN - so do a PSN release and you should do very well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

the game releases for the vita lately have been relatively slim, so i’d imagine you’d get extra attention based on that fact. Its a great system, i like everything about it… except the library of games is still playing catch up. I havnt played journey down yet, so i’d probably get it for the vita.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Hey theo, you could also try reaching out to Tony Warriner at Revolution. He has a blog where he answers questions. Obviously there may be limits to what he can write publically, but I imagine he could give you a sense of how the PS Vita experience was for them, in terms of port difficulty and perhaps even how worthwhile he thinks the market might be for a smaller adventure game dev. Good luck!

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

wilco: Thanks for the compliments and your thoughts on this. It’s good hearing from someone who both has experience with the Vita and with TJD. Smile

Mikekelly & zane: Sounds convincing alright. Smile

Caliburn: I actually sent Charles Cecil an email and he gave me some thoughts, hints, tips and ideas on the topic. Swell fellow! I’ll see if I can get Tony’s perspective on it too. Smile Thanks for the suggestion.

An update: We’ve now got some of the legal documents from sony and when signed, we should have the devkit in our hands so we can begin tinkering with it. It shouldn’t be a huge project, but who knows. There’s always some dang technical thing that takes forever.

Also we’re kinda busy with updating TJD1+2 so in reality this may take longer than I want it to. Well see!

Thanks again for the positive vibrations. Smile

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Hi Theo, I just want to tell you that I love the Journey Down and have a Vita and if you make a Vita port I will definitely purchase a third copy of the game! I was really impressed with Into the Mist. This was a big year for adventure games but it was definitely up there. Also, I love the idea of being able to play The Journey Down on my Vita on a long plane flight. It just seems fitting. Smile Good luck with the port and I can’t wait for Chapter 3.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I love indie adventure games on the VITA - I’m playing Murasaki Baby right now and it’s really good.

It’s odd which system gets the most adventure games - last generation it was the Nintendo DS, this generation it’s the PSVITA.

I’d ask some VITA indie developers if I were you -  like Ben Rivers who did “Home.”

Your game will do well on the VITA and I’m sure you’ll be happy with the results.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-12-09

PM

I am so happy right now. I just bought the Borderlands2 Vita bundle today, and would LOVE if TJD made it to the system. I own both on pc, and playing on the go with the vita sounds amazing. Good luck with development!  Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Mikekelly - 07 December 2014 11:02 PM

It’s odd which system gets the most adventure games - last generation it was the Nintendo DS, this generation it’s the PSVITA.

it truly is odd and makes no sense to me. The 3ds has sold many more units and yet for game releases the vita is keeping pace. Both kind of slowly… but still. i have a 3ds xl and a vita, and quite frankly my 3ds feels “junky” compared to the vita. The vita is much more a “technology machine” (it has bluetooth for my headset!). If sony could find a way to better emphasize the quality gap in marketing i think theyd have a big advantage. But then maybe thats why nintendo is putting out a “new 3ds” with increased performance. Granted, both systems face an uphill battle from apple/anrdoid.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I would love for TJD to make it to Vita. I have so much stuff to play, so PC stuff often gets put on the backburner - TJD included. If it made it to the Vita I would definitely be there.

I’ve really enjoyed Broken Sword 5 on the platform and I wish more adventures would make the jump. Speaking from (limited) experience, my small team and I are currently working on a Vita game and the platform seems generally very easy to develop for, and Sony representatives are nice and quick to respond with any questions and concerns. That said, we’re using GM, which is extremely port friendly and we’re developing with the Vita in mind from the get go.

To cap it off, if you do decide to port, please consider having various menu stuff integrated with the buttons and not just through the touchscreen. It’s much nicer being able to press Start to bring up the menu and then maneuver around it with the buttons.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Adventure games on handhelds caught me by surprize - in 2005, saw a forum thread on “Another Code” and found it interesting - so got a Nintendo DS and was amazed by how fun the game was - the touch screen was a big plus.

Then in 2013 - on another forum they listed 6 adventure games being released on the PSVITA in 2013 - all of which sounded very interesting - so got a PSVITA and got all six of them - all excellent games with “Corpse Party” being one of the most truly frightening games ever played.

Of course, the best on Nintendo DS were Hotel Dusk and Last Window, VITA - Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2.

So - a PSN release of your game would be great, and well received.

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Wow, thanks for all the encouraging input, guys!

This certainly sounds interesting. Smile Again we’ve got a backlog of other stuff we need no handle before we actually get down and dirty with the port. So don’t hold your breath! Smile

Thanks again, I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Kasper: What you working on?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

theo - 13 December 2014 10:53 AM

Wow, thanks for all the encouraging input, guys!

This certainly sounds interesting. Smile Again we’ve got a backlog of other stuff we need no handle before we actually get down and dirty with the port. So don’t hold your breath! Smile

Thanks again, I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Kasper: What you working on?

Looking forward to when/if you decide to do the port, as I love the look of TJD.

Our project isn’t public (for various reasons), but it’s a run’n'gun title in the vein of Contra. After shelving our previous more traditional platformer, which we did as a trial run for working with the Vita and functioning as a team, we’ve been working on this for the past 5 months.

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Sounds neat! I’d love to work on a classic platformer some day. The vita is definitely the platform for it! Smile

Update: We FINALLY actually signed and sent off the sony documents so maybe now we’ll see some hardware soon. Unfortunately we keep running into new compatibility issues with our current TJD1+2 releases on iOS and desktop, so priority is going to have to be to maintain compatibility on our current releases, rather than focusing on new platforms.

But the vita is by no means forgotten, just sadly not the top priority right now.

The longer I’m in this industry the more I understand that nothing stays functional, in the long run. Especially home-grown tech. Making sure “old” titles run on new systems is a full-time job.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top