• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: The Space Bar

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

zobraks - 19 July 2012 11:45 AM

Can someone at least tell me what does Thud say when you (as Fleebix) click on the token, pick it up, and then order Thud to board the next bus. It’s not when Fleebix says “Thud, listen very carefully. I will speak veeery slooowly…” - that’s when there is no bus around - but when Thud replies (and that’s when the bus is at the stop, you hear its engine running) “Thud shall not… (two more words)” What? What shall (freaking) Thud not?
What are these two words?

I’m not clear on what line you’re talking about. What’s Fleebix’s line right before it? I don’t think Thud says “Thud shall not…” at any point.

Sefir - 19 July 2012 02:11 PM

It’s been a couple of days since I got in that bus…if I remember correctly, you should wait for the bus then click the token on Thud and order him to “board the bus”. He will forget you behind and he will come back. Then you should wait for the next bus (not from hearing it when speaking to Thud. I think that you actually have to watch it stop). Then quickly, you have to either give to Thud the coin or order him to board to the next bus or both (I don’t really remember…)and he’ll carry you aboard.

After Thud has forgotten you, or you have ordered him to board the next bus, I think you just need to be wielding the coin when the next bus arrives.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It’s been a couple of days since I got in that bus…

Hey cheater, we were not supposed to start playing a couple of days ago!

if I remember correctly, you should wait for the bus then click the token on Thud and order him to “board the bus”. He will forget you behind and he will come back. Then you should wait for the next bus (not from hearing it when speaking to Thud. I think that you actually have to watch it stop). Then quickly, you have to either give to Thud the coin or order him to board to the next bus or both (I don’t really remember…)and he’ll carry you aboard.

What a stupid solution. Did these guys who made the game actually believe players would figure that out on their own? If it takes so much trouble just to board a (%&#@*ing!) bus, I shudder to think what lies ahead in this game. My enthusiasm for The Space Bar is rapidly vanishing.

Edit: Here’s my (step-by-step) solution to the bus boarding puzzle.
When the bus first arrives, pick up the token from your inventory, click on the bus and click on “board the bus” (from the double set of icons). Thud will go for it, leaving Fleebix (you) behind. You tell him that he forgot you and he comes back. The bus leaves. Then you talk to Thud (before the next bus is heard) and tell (order) him to catch the next bus.
At the end you pick up the bus token again and click on “Wait” (from your silhouette menu). The cutscene of Thud carrying you to the bus is played immediately (you don’t get to see or hear the bus before the cutscene!) and on you go. The bus carries you away and the picture of it with the description of what happened next (you got in the wrong bus, yada yada…) is shown. Next thing you know you’re in some vacant lot, but I have to play it yet now.

It doesn’t seem so difficult now, but it was a pure luck I pressed that wait button.
I reckon I need to get more familiar with all these commands (yes, RTFM!).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

zobraks - 20 July 2012 03:11 AM

It doesn’t seem so difficult now, but it was a pure luck I pressed that wait button.

Yep, I discovered it by accident, too. I wanted to skip ahead so I could try something new when the bus came, so I clicked “wait” a couple of times, and was quite surprised when we got on the bus for no apparent reason. And that’s not even the most frustrating puzzle in this Emp Tel. [hint]I’ll just say this is not the only time you’ll have to “wait” to solve a puzzle.[/hint]

Zobraks, I just remembered you were having this problem:

zobraks - 15 July 2012 11:19 AM

And just when I felt happy for hearing and understanding Node and Maksh so well, I went into that bar again and the speech seems to be completely drown in the chatter (I wish that noise could be turned down). There are separate controls for music and audio, I wish they made it possible to turn the sound effects down without turning down the actors’ voices.

I edited the “BAR.WLD” file to make a version where all of the ambient background noises (including music and chatter) in the bar are halved in volume. You’ll need to copy it to the “WLD” directory in your installation folder. You can make a backup of the original first if you like. You might have to follow my instructions from earlier for running the game from your hard drive first—I’m not sure. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?8l5xjmg3g4cok32. If you want the background noises reduced more, or disabled entirely, I can do that too. Hope it helps.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 20 July 2012 03:11 AM

It’s been a couple of days since I got in that bus…

Hey cheater, we were not supposed to start playing a couple of days ago!

Edit: Here’s my (step-by-step) solution to the bus boarding puzzle.
When the bus first arrives, pick up the token from your inventory, click on the bus and click on “board the bus” (from the double set of icons). Thud will go for it, leaving Fleebix (you) behind. You tell him that he forgot you and he comes back. The bus leaves. Then you talk to Thud (before the next bus is heard) and tell (order) him to catch the next bus.
At the end you pick up the bus token again and click on “Wait” (from your silhouette menu). The cutscene of Thud carrying you to the bus is played immediately (you don’t get to see or hear the bus before the cutscene!) and on you go. The bus carries you away and the picture of it with the description of what happened next (you got in the wrong bus, yada yada…) is shown. Next thing you know you’re in some vacant lot, but I have to play it yet now.

I reckon I need to get more familiar with all these commands (yes, RTFM!).

I was desperate enough to see if it actually worked on my windows-7 PC.
And I must admit that I got into the but without using the “wait” command. I simply…waited (did nothing), time passed by and the result was the same. Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

driver8 - 20 July 2012 03:46 AM

I edited the “BAR.WLD” file to make a version where all of the ambient background noises (including music and chatter) in the bar are halved in volume. You can download it…

Driver, I’ll try it.

You might have to follow my instructions from earlier for running the game from your hard drive first—I’m not sure.

Actually that won’t be a problem since yesterday I got sick and tired of all the disc swapping and I copied all the necessary folders from CDs to my hard disk (the same location where I installed the game) and tweaked my Registry accordingly.

If you want the background noises reduced more, or disabled entirely, I can do that too. Hope it helps.

I’m not sure I’ll need that too, but you can make those changes anyway, someone else may need them.
once again.

BTW, even without your tweaks the noise seems to seize once you engage in conversation with the aliens. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. I’m not sure what does it.

Sefir - 20 July 2012 04:26 AM

I must admit that I got into the but without using the “wait” command. I simply…waited (did nothing), time passed by and the result was the same. Smile

OK, but it’s quicker when you use “wait”, it gets you on the bus immediately.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

comment deleted because it was probably incorrect

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

In case you’re wondering where I am right now:

Intruders on the lawn! Intruders!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Good for you. I’m a few steps ahead of you and I’m in stitches because Thud’s repeating
the same phrases every time I’m making him do something at the clock tower. That puzzle is so complicated and Thud has to go up and down so many times that it’s quicker not to use Escape and let Thud do his thing. “Oooooh! Slots! Oooooh! Diamonds!” He’s already said it about 30 times and I can’t stop giggling. Smile
I love Thud. Heart

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

After many hours, I finally finished the clocktower puzzle!! Fien, I hope you have the crystal from the truck’s small package with you.

I have to say something.
I really,really HATE Thud!! He is worse than the worsest idiot (it must be a cultural characteristic of his race…)!! He makes me want to either kill him or commit suicide!!
Unfortunatelly for Fleebix, he can’t do neither…poor thing Fleebix…

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sefir - 20 July 2012 02:52 PM

After many hours, I finally finished the clocktower puzzle!! Fien, I hope you have the crystal from the truck’s small package with you.

Yep. I’ve played this game before. Smile But I worry about zobraks and other first-time players… they might throw in the towel if they had to go back and do some parts all over again. 

I have to say something.
I really,really HATE Thud!! He is worse than the worsest idiot (it must be a cultural characteristic of his race…)!! He makes me want to either kill him or commit suicide!! Unfortunatelly for Fleebix, he can’t do neither…poor thing Fleebix…

Hehe… yeah, it must be terrible to be confined to a jar with water that hasn’t been changed in three weeks. But let’s be fair. Thud followed Fleebix’ instructions to the letter. (Walk through the door. Take the next bus.) Fleebix should know his Thud by now. So it’s actually Fleebix’ fault that things go wrong.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 20 July 2012 07:40 PM

I worry about zobraks and other first-time players… they might throw in the towel if they had to go back and do some parts all over again.

I am too experienced an adventurer to not save every time I step forward/do something in the game of even least significance (specially in this kind of game: the one that forgives NOTHING). That Steve Meretzky must be the greatest sadist in the Universe (no, I haven’t played Infocom’s text adventures or Sierra’s graphic adventures, thank you for asking). I’ve already seen TSB throwing me back in the bar just for trying to jump in the hole in the field (for the sake of it ) or something, so I save often (Jesus saves too!).

There is a greater problem (for me): apparently I’m not in appropriate mindset to solve these puzzles so it takes a lot of time for me to progress. I guess I will inevitably fall behind the rest of the players, but don’t let that disturb you. I’ll catch up with the bunch in a month or two .

I have a (simple) question: is there any clue in the game about the number nav dial on the scooter should be set to?
I’m not asking you to give me a clue/nudge/hint, let alone a straitforward solution, I only want you to tell me “Yes, there is something about it previously in the game.” or “No, you’ll have to figure it out by doing something that lies ahead.”. A simple “yes” or “no” will do fine too.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 21 July 2012 03:14 AM

I am too experienced an adventurer to not save every time I step forward/do something in the game of even least significance (specially in this kind of game: the one that forgives NOTHING - that Steve Meretzky must be the greatest sadist in the Universe; no, I haven’t played Sierra’s adventures, thank you for asking).

Not Sierra. Think Infocom. In those days every text adventure was unforgiving, that was considered part of the fun. But Steve Meretzky pales in comparison with the sadistic text adventures made by Magnetic Scrolls. I have complained about them before, but I’m going to do it again. You must take a certain object in the first 15 moves of the game Corruption. After that, the object is no longer available and the game unwinnable. It’s quite possible that you never saw the object and the game lets you stumble along in blissful ignorance. GGGGRRRRRR!!

I’ve already seen TSB throwing me back in the bar just for trying to jump in the hole in the field (for the sake of it ) or something, so I save often (Jesus saves too!).

Your utterly dependable Thud did tell you he saw no bottom. Smile

There is a greater problem (for me): apparently I’m not in appropriate mindset to solve these puzzles so it takes a lot of time for me to progress.

You share that problem with all other players. It will get better over time, when you get used to crazy Meretzky’s mindset. At least, that was my experience. And what is wrong with hard games when the puzzles and characters are so much fun?

I think it’s best if we play Seedrot next. Her emp-tel is not as hard as this one. IMO.

I have a (simple) question: is there any clue in the game about the number nav dial on the scooter should be set to?

No hints? You’re a masochist. The answer is YES! Did you really think you would be required to type a random number?

I have been posting too much. I’ll shut up now and hopefully other people will jump in.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 21 July 2012 03:51 AM

Steve Meretzky pales in comparison with the sadistic text adventures made by Magnetic Scrolls. I have complained about them before, but I’m going to do it again. You must take a certain object in the first 15 moves of the game Corruption. After that, the object is no longer available and the game unwinnable.

That guy deserved somebody rammed that game up his stove pipe!

Your utterly dependable Thud did tell you he saw no bottom. Smile

Yes he did, but I wanted to see how it feels jumping in that hole. Curiosity killed the ape.

There is a greater problem (for me): apparently I’m not in appropriate mindset to solve these puzzles so it takes a lot of time for me to progress.

You share that problem with all other players. It will get better over time, when you get used to crazy Meretzky’s mindset.

That’s what I’m hoping for.

what is wrong with hard games when the puzzles and characters are so much fun?

The problem is I won’t be able to keep the pace of the walkthrough. I’m having fun listening to Fleebix raging like Donald Duck!

I think it’s best if we play Seedrot next. Her emp-tel is not as hard as this one. IMO.

You’re the boss of us here, you tell us what to do next.

No hints? You’re a masochist. The answer is YES!

I’m not a masochist, I just see no point in going through a game asking for help all the time (it’s not that I am not tempted do so, though).

Did you really think you would be required to type a random number?

I was hoping the opposite. Thank God there is a clue.

I have been posting too much.

First, no you haven’t. Second, posting all the time is what being a game mistress is all about.

I’ll shut up now and hopefully other people will jump in.

People will jump in but don’t go. Smile

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m having a hard time figuring who is who, WHAT is who, what should I be looking for… but the game is great. At the moment, I’m meeting all of these quirky characters and getting constant messages on my PDA. I even managed to die once.

I’m finding the map to be my favourite part of the game so far - and I’d be a happy man if they included portrait near to each of the suspects. I’d probably need to make my own notes because there’re so many characters around. Shifty Eyed

Voice-overs are excellent, graphics are not dated and the interface is fair apart from slightly cumbersome inventory and object manipulation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 21 July 2012 06:42 AM

I’m having a hard time figuring who is who, WHAT is who

Read CREDITS.TXT (on one of the game CDs) & the VC data (specially the latter). It took me two days to read (and correctly understand) the VC info only.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top