• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #4 - Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 04 December 2014 04:47 PM

In that case I’ll echo Tim’s statement that this lends credence to the theory that the prisoner is in fact the Preacher.

rtrooney - 04 December 2014 06:13 PM

If the prisoner is not the Preacher, and simply some mortal being, there would be no reason not to feed him to the trees. Wink

furgotten - 05 December 2014 11:01 AM

At one point UH picked up a full face photograph of the Preacher and stared at it. An excellent clue by the developers; that is, if UH is any good at facial feature recognition.

Okay I guess there is no point denying it any more, everybody already seems to be convinced that the prisoner is the Preacher. So let me instead ask this:

How do you think this triangle between The Good (UH), The Bad (Whitmarsh) and The Ugly (the Preacher) will play out?

Who will attack Who?
Who will be victorious?
Who if any, will die?
Will alliances be formed?
Will Becky, Hamilton or the ticket seller play any decisive role?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Seeing as I’ve played the game before, it would be inappropriate for me to comment.

But, I sure do like your take on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Go Clint! Should also have the soundtrack and title song pop hit from Hugo Montenegro.

Did I just date myself???? Oh, well Mini Frown

On a side note, do you use a screen capture application other than the one that is native to the OS? I think my problem with the “map” scene is the same problem I faced when trying to capture the image of the lurker in the snack shop window. For future reference, I wonder if there is something better, and preferably free, that would allow me to capture all the layers, or in the case of the map scene, only the top layer.

Second side note: Everyone is talking about achievements and occasional pop-ops. Are you all playing the CE version? I’m playing the SE, and there are no achievements.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 05 December 2014 11:29 AM

Who will attack Who?
Who will be victorious?
Who if any, will die?
Will alliances be formed?
Will Becky, Hamilton or the ticket seller play any decisive role?

Difficult to say, but I’ll have a guess:

- Who will attack who?
Everybody attacks Whitmarsh and Whitmarsh attacks everybody. Then UH and Hamilton team up vs. the Preacher.

- Who will be victorious?
The UH, Hamilton and the Preacher vs. Whitmarsh. I’ve a feeling the Preacher will get away somehow, to allow for more games in the series, so that fight could be a stalemate?

- Who if any, will die?
Whitmarsh is going down. Possibly Hamilton too. I think everybody else lives.

- Will alliances be formed?
Maybe a necessary one between UH/Hamilton and the Preacher to take down Whitmarsh, but it’ll be fragile at best. Both UH and Hamilton are after the Preacher, after all. As soon as Whitmarsh is defeated, all bets are off.
I think Hamilton’s too bent on revenge for an alliance, though, I think he’ll go after the Preacher immediately.

- Will Becky, Hamilton or the ticket seller play any decisive role?
I still believe that the uplifting mentality of Becky will play a role in the Light vs. Dark theme of the park, like I mentioned earlier. Maybe she’ll be crucial in freeing her parents and/or defeating the giant raven?
I think the ticket seller has just played her decisive role by luring Whitmarsh away from us (and the hidden Becky). I don’t think she’ll play any decisive part after that.
Hamilton will definitely be decisive as he has the dagger. For some reason I think he’ll screw things up by blindly going for the Preacher, possibly losing the dagger in the process and letting the Preacher escape.
Either this happens after he lands the killing blow on Whitmarsh, or before (in which case the Preacher lands the killing blow).

rtrooney - 05 December 2014 06:37 PM

Second side note: Everyone is talking about achievements and occasional pop-ops. Are you all playing the CE version? I’m playing the SE, and there are no achievements.

Yeah, I’m playing the CE version. Interesting that they’d only include achievements in the CE, is that common or is it usually just a bonus chapter and some extra options like the ability to rewatch cutscenes?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 4 of the casual community playthrough of Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

When we last left UH she had been caught by Whitmarsh (aka The Raven)) and was in great peril, fortunately we have many friends who are willing to give us a helping hand us, otherwise this could have turned very ugly very fast.

And now it is time for what we have all been waiting for, the big showdown!
It is time that we (try to) take down the m*****f*****, but first we need to get free from those pesky roots… and we will probably also need some help, a knife would be nice… and we still haven’t heard the rest of the prisoners story… actually there is still quite a few things we need to do before we can attempt to take him down.

So without further ado lets get on with it it.

This is the final part, so you should play until you reach the end of the game, and there is also no deadline this time.

Have fun!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

On a side note, do you use a screen capture application other than the one that is native to the OS?

Yes I use Fraps which is also free, though with a few restrictions in the free versions.

I am playing the CE version, and I was not aware that there was no achievements in the SE version. All the other games we have played had the same achievements in both versions - strange!

TimovieMan - 05 December 2014 11:59 PM

Difficult to say, but I’ll have a guess:

Not a bad guess, and perhaps not very far from the truth Wink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well I finished without much difficulty except in this scene.

I’ve done this type of cut the glass puzzle a gazillion times, but this time my brain farted, and I just didn’t see the solution in front of me. I eventually got it, but it must have taken me ten minutes because I refused to use the Hint button.

I thought the “Thank You” from the parents was rather tepid. How about “Thank You! Thank You! Would you like my house in return for your deeds. And, if there is one, my next-born child is yours!”

We discussed earlier about how the developers should have used the lockpick mechanics from the first game in this game. It’s now even more obvious that they should have, because they obviously reused the cabin basement mechanics in one of the tree puzzles.

For a guy on crutches because he has a broken leg, that Hamilton sure can move fast when the tree collapsed!

The ending was satisfying, if not totally unexpected. It sure seems likely that there will be a sequel in our future. Whitmarsh had completed the infrastructure that would have allowed Asmodai to come to life had he, Whitmarsh won the battle. So, even though the Preacher is the likely victor, the infrastructure was destroyed. So he, the Preacher, is back to square one. To use a common phrase, he won the battle but, at least temporarily lost the war.

Did anyone see/hear Whitmarsh call the Preacher “Brother”? At first I took it to mean one of the “Brotherhood” of the twelve reapers. But then there is a vague physical similarity between the two. What do you think? Are the two related?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2014 03:36 PM

I thought the “Thank You” from the parents was rather tepid. How about “Thank You! Thank You! Would you like my house in return for your deeds. And, if there is one, my next-born child is yours!”

I thought so too, but to be fair, they had spent quite a bit of time being drained by a tree.

The ending was satisfying, if not totally unexpected. It sure seems likely that there will be a sequel in our future. Whitmarsh had completed the infrastructure that would have allowed Asmodai to come to life had he, Whitmarsh won the battle. So, even though the Preacher is the likely victor, the infrastructure was destroyed. So he, the Preacher, is back to square one. To use a common phrase, he won the battle but, at least temporarily lost the war.

The ending was awesome. I would very much like to see a third installment but it would have to be carefully done as they would have quite a few plot constraints. I haven’t heard that they are working on one though. AF has published quite a few games since then and there is nothing on their website.

I am curious as to the Preacher’s statement that Raphael would have to be in human form. So would Hamilton be Raphael or would that be UH? And would they be immortal? How much power would they have?

I am also curious as to what a demon acolyte does all day. Whitmarsh for instance lives in that moldering old mansion, supposedly without any conveniences. What does he enjoy doing? Does he enjoy his human form at all? Is he human with supernatural powers or supernatural with a human shape?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game (well, the regular part, still have to play the bonus chapter).

Excellent ending. The cutscene with the reveal of the Preacher was done brilliantly. [spoiler]His silhouette with the ominous hair appearing out of the shadows and then revealing his threatening face while the UH reacts like Sarah Connor did in Terminator 2[/spoiler] was just perfect.

The final confrontation was handled a lot better than it was in the first game. All actions were acceptably believable this time around (instead of just plain stupid like in the previous one).
The story’s a lot better and more consistent this time around, and the HO’s are better leading to a MUCH better game in all. It’s by far the best game of the Casual CPTs so far.

One thing struck me as odd, though: a couple of the scenes in the tree seemed like they were animated by a different team, the way they were drawn looked nothing like the rest of the game. Were they rushed, perhaps?

Did anyone see/hear Whitmarsh call the Preacher “Brother”? At first I took it to mean one of the “Brotherhood” of the twelve reapers. But then there is a vague physical similarity between the two. What do you think? Are the two related?

I took it to mean one of the Brotherhood of Asmodai-Reapers, not an actual brother.

I liked their final exchange - the “congrats, you won, now make us proud” mentality seems very fitting.

There’s nothing really unexpected about the ending (I called a few of the twists well in advance), but it was solid, and I’d be looking forward to a third installment if they decide to make it…

I replayed the first part of the game (until you get pushed down the tunnel), and found the two illusive objects I had missed for the achievement.
Leaves me with 31 out of 35 achievements (missing the 6 and 12 Memory game ones, the HO in under 1 minute one and the 12 HO completion without hints - I accidentally clicked on a hint once and switched to Memory once for 10/12. Got me a Memory achievement, though.). That means I got all illusive objects and butterflies! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I decided to download the CE version and start again.  I finished the main game last night, and I liked the ending, too, part of which I had forgotten.  I found all the illusive objects but missed one butterfly somewhere along the line.  I also had no skips in the ho scenes nor the other puzzles.  If they make another game, I will definitely play it.

The CE version adds the ticket seller’s story and confirms that the hunt will continue, with a partnership.  It was worth playing.

I do have one problem, however.  I can’t get the main musical theme out of my head.

By the way, you can grab a second CE for the price of one plus $1.99 today.  Also, I have some spare codes for regular BF editions.  If anyone would like one, just send me a PM. 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I finished the game too. I thought it was a nice touch with UH while she was trapped giving Becky instructions

I did find it silly in Whitmarsh’s mansion that UH was able to access the upper floor although the stairs were blocked - how did she get up there?

The story of the immortal reapers was fascinating & I was so shocked that the prisoner was actually The Preacher - I’d completely forgotten!

I just don’t jot down notes comprehensively enough while I’m playing but a brief one refers to the dagger & Hamilton being the prey? why? is he the angel Raphael?

I really liked Maple Creek but enjoyed this game so much more & also think, so far, it’s one of the best amongst CGs - I still have the bonus chapter to play but despite that think that there’s more to come & look forward to a future game as the story doesn’t feel entirely concluded.

I didn’t do too well collecting butterflies & morphing items as I kept forgetting to look! 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The topic of the Archangel Raphael keeps coming up.

Did he or didn’t he remain on earth as a human?
Is he represented by either UH or Hamilton?
Could he be both human and immortal?
Etc.

I think it would be difficult to think that Raphael became human. That would require that he disappear from scripture at some point in time. That is, you find references to the Archangel Raphael up until circa 400AD and from that point on there are no future references. Since that didn’t happen….

I believe there was also a statement that Raphael would have needed to give up his immortality in order to become human. So, even if he did become human, he would be dead.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the CE chapter as well. A bunch of similar puzzles and some background info on what happened to the ticket seller before she became Whitmarsh’s cursed help, on Whitmarsh’s search for the Priest, and on Whitmarsh’s early plans for the park.

We also learn that the last Reaper standing still has a final quest to fulfill before becoming Asmodai Reincarnated. That means we lost the battle but still haven’t lost the war.
It also means that we could have a third game without Asmodai returning, and without the need for Archangel Raphael to return, although I fail to see how we will now obtain the knife from an even more powerful Priest.
Should we be too late to prevent Asmodai returning in the third game, then the Archangel Raphael plot point will become really important, imo.

In the CE chapter we find a book with a list of 11 names, 10 of which are crossed out, and ‘Priest’ encircled. The remark “just you and me now, my old friend” is written next to it. “My old friend” is not what you’d call a sibling, imo, so the “Brother” remark is most likely just referring to “one of the Brotherhood”...

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Everybody is posting rave reviews for this game. As well they should. This was a great game. Organized and led excellently by Iznogood.

I’m not going to try to quote them exactly, but “Best CG I’ve played” or “Definitely the best CG I’ve played so far,” concerns me a bit.

I will bring this up when we discuss the next game to be played. But, I’m afraid that we might be setting a “standard” that requires every game be better than the one that came before.

That’s not going to happen. Just as there are some real clunkers in the AG Playthrough, there will be some here as well. Expect that you might vote for a game that wins, and you won’t like it. Stuff happens.

But I am really enjoying that some new players are enjoying the CG experience.

If we can get Sefir to join one of our sessions I’ll be celebrating with martinis garnished with jalapeno-stuffed olives.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 08 December 2014 09:02 PM

But, I’m afraid that we might be setting a “standard” that requires every game be better than the one that came before.

That’s not going to happen. Just as there are some real clunkers in the AG Playthrough, there will be some here as well. Expect that you might vote for a game that wins, and you won’t like it. Stuff happens.

Don’t worry, I’m not expecting every game in the Casual CPTs to be as good as this one. I’m just very happy when one is. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top