• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #4 - Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Nah.  I’ll just take him out in the woods and let him sleep it off.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sorry I’m a bit late starting the next part, but better late than never.

Part 2 of the casual community playthrough of Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

So, so far we have been attacked by a giant raven that seems to be made entirely of Smoke, Shadow and… Blood perhaps?

We found a little girl who had managed to hide, when her parents where taken by the raven, only to have the raven snatch her right out of our hands, perhaps she would have been better off if we hadn’t found her? We have been trapped in an underground network of tunnels, we have found heaps of dead bodies, most who seem to have been dead for a very long time, suggesting that something very sinister is going on, and has been for a very long time. We have talked to a mysterious prisoner, who seems to know much more about what is going on than we do, and who is telling us an ancient story about good and evil and about the Demon Asmodia and the twelve Reapers

But despite all that, we still know very little about what is actually going on here, our deduction board is still mostly blank and filled with question marks. So lets do something about that, it is time that we actually learn more about what is happening and venture deeper into this charming theme park.

And if we don’t linger for too long, then we might still have time to save the little girl and her family.

But be careful out there, you never know when a giant raven is going to attack us, when skeleton hands is going to raise from the ground and grab us at our ankles, or if a door is going to close behind us and we will be trapped forever!

This part should both be a bit longer, and quite a bit more difficult. You have until Wednesday evening the 3rd of December to finish this part, and you should stop your progress as soon as you find Becky!

No… Not our Becky:

This Becky:

Edit: Once you have found Becky, you are also allowed to talk to her, which will reveal a nice little surprise.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 28 November 2014 07:42 PM

Did anyone catch the figure peeping in through the window while in the snack bar? My first thought was “here’s Detective Hamilton again”. Tongue Crazy

Yeah I also noticed it, on my original playthrough I however knew nothing about Hamilton, but I instead noticed that the trap door was closed behind us, trapping us in the tunnels, right after we saw the person. So naturally I assumed that whoever was in the window was the one that trapped us and therefore also the culprit.

Now I’m however not so sure, I guess it could be Hamilton or someone playing a similar role in this game, but does that also mean that it was Hamilton or whoever that trapped us?

DrewClue - 28 November 2014 09:39 PM

After reading this thread now I really want to replay it and get all the achievements.

You are most welcome to join us in this CCP. The general idea is that we play the game in small parts, and then we share our thoughts, analyses and opinions about the parts we have played.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I had forgotten that this section is a nice challenge.  I dithered for a while until I figured out what to do with the fish and where to find the cork. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This section went a bit faster than the last one. I don’t know if was easier, which I don’t think it was, or simply that, after playing the first section, I remembered more of what needed to be done.

Only posting this to prove that I actually finished the section. (More on this later.)

There was some enlightenment, and also some disappointment in this section.

I always had the hardest time with the Asomdai puzzle in Maple Creek. It wasn’t until this last CCP that I realized that the dials could move [spoiler]both clockwise and counter-clockwise.[/spoiler]  Pan And so I was finally able to complete the puzzle without a skip. (I blame this on thinking I knew how the puzzle worked, so there was no need to read the instructions. I’m male. I think this a common trait.)

So that was enlightenment. And that enlightenment also allowed me to solve the similar puzzle in the “museum” at the entrance to the gondola deck. And that puzzle was also solved for the first time. Up to this point I’ve not used the Skip button for anything.

Now for the disappointment…

I made it though the door by retrieving the lock picks found on the edge of the cliff. Big deal! Why didn’t the designers borrow the mechanics of the boathouse puzzle from Maple Creek and use them here? That would have made it a good puzzle.

And, while I’m on the topic, the scene immediately preceding the first screenshot has the same problem. The designers have the mechanics from their prior game at their disposal. Why not use them. That would be much better than find paperclip, find nail, open door.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oops!  I got so involved I forgot where we were supposed to stop and went a bit further.  I’ve been enjoying the puzzles and haven’t needed a skip yet.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I forgot to say that once you have found Becky, you should also talk to her and to Hamilton.

Lady Kestrel - 30 November 2014 06:24 PM

I had forgotten that this section is a nice challenge.

rtrooney - 30 November 2014 07:02 PM

This section went a bit faster than the last one. I don’t know if was easier, which I don’t think it was, or simply that, after playing the first section, I remembered more of what needed to be done.

When I first played the game, I was actually stuck several times during this part and had to use the hint button several times, this time I knew what I had to do, which made it a bit faster than I had expected. So I guess the length of this part depends on how often you get stuck.

rtrooney - 30 November 2014 07:02 PM

(I blame this on thinking I knew how the puzzle worked, so there was no need to read the instructions. I’m male. I think this a common trait.)

Reading instructions is also know as plan B.

Lady Kestrel - 30 November 2014 08:25 PM

Oops!  I got so involved I forgot where we were supposed to stop and went a bit further.

Well as long as you didn’t went too far, and only played the rest of lumberjack camp then I see no need to bring out the Pan

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Found Becky!
The one in the game, I mean, not ‘our’ Becky. Innocent

Had a couple of problems in this section. Mainly, it took me a while before I figured out what to do with the wooden fish, I didn’t realize immediately that I had to use the rope where I did, and I figured out right away what to do with the batteries but couldn’t yet do so at the time, and then I completely forgot about it by the time I was able to do what needed to be done… Meh
I also had to switch the lumberjack HO scene to the game of Memory. For 4 items, no less, including an interactive one! Gasp
Haven’t touched the ‘skip’ button, though. And I don’t plan on doing so.

I finally figured out how to clear the ‘illusive objects’, but that means that I “missed” the two outside the park in the beginning. So that’s that achievement out the window… Meh

I agree with Tim’s sentiments that both lockpicking puzzles should have been actual puzzles, and not just automatic actions. They wasted a good opportunity for two minigames there.
It’s not really a problem, though, since there are more than enough other puzzles and minigames to be found.

I really like the game so far. That giant raven adds a great deal of danger to our mission, there’s a lot of variety in the puzzles found, and I’m enjoying the story. And there are a LOT of cutscenes, which I consider a plus. Tongue

Did anyone catch the figure peeping in through the window while in the snack bar? My first thought was “here’s Detective Hamilton again”. Tongue Crazy

Heh, I didn’t know that Detective Hamilton was actually in this game, I just mentioned it out of reference. That means it could really have been him again in the window! I just thought it was whoever pushed us down that hatch, be it the lady “guard” in front or our actual big bad Disciple of Asmodai... Tongue
This game is more connected to the previous one than I thought!

Iznogood - 30 November 2014 10:32 AM

Now I’m however not so sure, I guess it could be Hamilton or someone playing a similar role in this game, but does that also mean that it was Hamilton or whoever that trapped us?

God, I hope not. After the events in Maple Creek, he should know better.

And as for the prisoner, well, given his extensive knowledge about our villain, I suspect him to be just that: another disciple, possibly even our preacher.

Well, some of the revelations in this chapter (like Whitmarsh contacting Hamilton (supposedly) with information on the Preacher) kind of cemented my theory that [spoiler]Hannibal Lecter the prisoner IS the Preacher[/spoiler]. I’m calling it now. Tongue
The only issue with this so far is that for this to work, then the Disciples must not be on the same side, which they did seem to be when they were worshipping Asmodai back in the day. Maybe Asmodai’s defeat at the hands of Archangel Raphael caused a rift, like they’re now competing for the title of the “True” Disciple or something?

My other theory that the current villain - Whitmarsh as we now know - is a shape-shifter is straight out the window now since we’ve seen first-hand that [spoiler]the raven is merely summoned by him, it’s not actually him in raven form[/spoiler]. Oh well. Tongue

Also, the stuff that Detective Hamilton found out about light (lush green, rabbits, butterflies) vs. dark (gloom and doom, decay, ravens) makes me think that “Butterfly” Becky might end up being our biggest weapon against Whitmarsh. Maybe even to the point that [spoiler]she’ll somehow summon the power of Archangel Raphael to defeat the Disciple of Asmodai (or both Disciples Tongue)[/spoiler].

Also, since there were twelve disciples back in the day, does that mean that Artifex Mundi has planned plenty more (12?) games in the series where we need to defeat them one at a time?
In that regard, are WE, as in the UH™, perhaps an unofficial Disciple of Raphael? Or maybe Detective Hamilton is???
Can we even defeat the Disciples, or can we merely thwart them temporarily like we did at Maple Creek? I’m curious to see how things will pan out.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 01 December 2014 06:52 AM

Well, some of the revelations in this chapter (like Whitmarsh contacting Hamilton (supposedly) with information on the Preacher) kind of cemented my theory that [spoiler]Hannibal Lecter the prisoner IS the Preacher[/spoiler]. I’m calling it now. Tongue

That was also my own thought at this point in the game on my first playthrough, but we will have to wait and see if we are correct. Well I obvious know whether its true not, but you will have to wait and see Tongue

TimovieMan - 01 December 2014 06:52 AM

In that regard, are WE, as in the UH™, perhaps an unofficial Disciple of Raphael? Or maybe Detective Hamilton is???

My thoughts exactly, which is also why I went back to Maple Creek, to see if it was revealed what or who UH is actually working for, and speculate on what SDU might actually be an acronym for.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, I’ve finally found myself.

I enjoyed the puzzles in this section—nice variety. I did skip the second sliding block puzzle.

The raven is surprisingly powerful. [spoiler]It seems to be a kind of mist and is lighter than air, yet it can penetrate the camper’s roof and sever a steel cable. What’s it made of, I wonder?

Does anyone else think it’s intriguing that the villain is identified definitively so early in the game?

One thing that sets this game apart is the setting—I can’t think of another casual game with this setting (unlike the dozens that take place in old mansions, for instance).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 01 December 2014 02:48 AM

Reading instructions is also know as plan B.

I must remember this! Laughing

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I really like the setting in this game. Not as much right now but in the dry heat of a desert summer, the redwoods are inviting even with the creep factor. I would like to visit that park.

Again some of the insights offered by others never occurred to me when i first played the game. It is no surprise though, that there are others smarter than I am!

I enjoyed the Monty Python reference.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 01 December 2014 02:56 PM

I really like the setting in this game. Not as much right now but in the dry heat of a desert summer, the redwoods are inviting even with the creep factor. I would like to visit that park.

Again some of the insights offered by others never occurred to me when i first played the game. It is no surprise though, that there are others smarter than I am!

I enjoyed the Monty Python reference.

I wouldn’t expect too much “dry heat of a summer desert” here. Redwoods are almost exclusively found in the Pacific Northwest. The southernmost environment is Muir Woods National Monument which is about 25 miles north of San Francisco, California.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 01 December 2014 03:16 PM

I wouldn’t expect too much “dry heat of a summer desert” here. Redwoods are almost exclusively found in the Pacific Northwest. The southernmost environment is Muir Woods National Monument which is about 25 miles north of San Francisco, California.

Yes, I wasn’t clear. I live in the desert and in the summer the redwoods look really good.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Don’t know where your desert living is, but up here in the upper Mid-West where it is below freezing, the dry heat of e.g. Tucson, Arizona seems very appealing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top