• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough—Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve opened the church gate last night, so I’m ready for this section.

Iznogood - 17 November 2014 08:30 PM

Regarding the story then it so far seems to be pretty standard detective investigating a simple missing persons case ends up with amnesia, discovers that many girls have gone missing over a very long period of time, and that she is following in the footsteps of a detective that investigated the original case and ended up MIA possible dead himself… right before she happens to stumble upon a mass grave of murdered girls… all taking place in a spooky town populated by zombies that are being controlled by the tolling of a ominous church bell and a zombie cult leader known as the Preacher!

^ This pretty much nails it, imo. Tongue

And I don’t think the girl we’re looking for is dead yet - although the note on that suicider may suggest otherwise either.
No way she was one of the corpses in that mass grave.

The glowing zombie eyes in the game freaked me out the first time (when I just entered my room).

I think I’m already over two hours in. I didn’t time myself, but I wasted plenty of minutes staring at the HO scenes because they’re really difficult (and I refuse to press the hint button)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it to the lake. I played some last night and a bit more this morning. Ergo, I’m not exactly sure how long it took to finish this segment. My best guess is that it took me at most an hour.

I skipped the armoire puzzle. In the past I’ve had difficulty with the telescope puzzle, but this time I solved it in less than five minutes, so I’m a very happy camper.

I thought the guy left the shack after the first meeting. But he obviously didn’t. There must be another trigger later in the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Finished this section now, and according to steam I have now spend 3 hours playing the game, so about 1½ hour for this section as well.

Becky - 18 November 2014 09:10 PM

For me, two of the standout puzzles in this game occur in this section – the telescope challenge and the (formidable) cabinet lever puzzle (which appears to the right of the window in the above screenshot, and which I once managed to solve – though I didn’t quite have enough patience this time).

I actually didn’t find the cabinet puzzle very hard, and it only took me about 15 minutes Wink
Yes it is a sliding puzzle and sliding puzzles are never easy, but there are two free tiles at each side, which makes it more than twice as easy compared to the standard one-free-tile slider puzzles. I actually had to double check to see if it was really this puzzle that people were complaining about, I am of course playing at non-expert mode, so it might be more difficult at expert mode.

And as for the “telescope challenge” then I’m still not sure if we are talking about the same thing or that I have actually gotten to this challenge yet? I did have to use the telescope to find something, but that was hardly what I would call a challenge just a little scouting.

TimovieMan - 19 November 2014 06:54 AM

... but I wasted plenty of minutes staring at the HO scenes because they’re really difficult (and I refuse to press the hint button)...

I have also found the HO to be a bit more difficult, but since there aren’t any penalties for miss-clicks at non-expert mode, then I have devised a strategy where I just click at all the items that stand out, and then only after finding most items that way, do I actually bother to read what I am suppose to be looking for, and actually search for those items… and I’m not ashamed to use the hint button.

Storywise we really haven’t learned much new, apart from sabotaging the bell and breaking the curse, then the highlight seemed to be meting the mysterious stranger, who I’m convinced is actually Detective Hamilton even though I would expect that he would be much older. But perhaps he has fallen under some kind of curse himself, that has kept him young but also prevented him from solving the case himself?
Oh.. and he did say something that confirmed what I thought all along:
Stranger screenshot

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 19 November 2014 04:42 PM

And as for the “telescope challenge” then I’m still not sure if we are talking about the same thing or that I have actually gotten to this challenge yet? I did have to use the telescope to find something, but that was hardly what I would call a challenge just a little scouting.

No, it isn’t particularly difficult, but I enjoyed it because I thought it was well integrated into the story, which is somewhat unusual for casual HO games. I also like getting a different view of the countryside we’re passing through.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I think this time took a little less than 1.5 hr.

They asked for a millipede in one of the HO’s, but what they really wanted had no “pedes” attached (that I could see) and looked more like a slug.

Didn’t have much of a problem with the armoire puzzle—just a slider, only with 2 empty spaces (in non-expert). Then you need to figure out what is meant by the clues to get it open.

The telescope was giving me a headache because of the blurriness, so I used the Strategy Guide to find out the coordinates they wanted. Not really a puzzle—just carefully scanning blurry areas to find what you needed.

I also think the guy in the cabin is Detective Hamilton. I’m not sure why he doesn’t just solve the mystery himself instead of giving your character the clues—unless the preacher has some sort of hold over him. Wonder if he’ll be helping out in the next game too.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The telescope puzzle was a problem because the item you are looking for is either top, center or bottom. And each requires its own focus. The player, you, doesn’t know where the desired object is so you scan by grid, hoping the correct focus will show you something. Can be very frustrating. I think the only thing that got me through this time was my remembering that this is not a random search. Top tier, max focus, left right until you find the object. Then the protagonist tells you that you need to find a landmark to orient yourself. After that it’s just a scan search of the middle and bottom tiers, using the appropriate focus, until you are told you’ve found the starting point. Sounds so simple. Why did I never get it right when I played it before?  Pan

Edit: If you add the time it didn’t take me to solve the armoire puzzle to the hour I played, I’m probably close to the 1.5 hours it’s taken everyone else.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 19 November 2014 08:45 PM

The telescope puzzle was a problem because the item you are looking for is either top, center or bottom. And each requires its own focus…

...Sounds so simple. Why did I never get it right when I played it before?

Scrolling screens bother my eyes and give me a headache.
I started the search through the telescope by scrolling across the top of the viewing area, one pass at each focus selection. Then I’d pan down slightly and start another horizontal scan. I had gotten down to around the middle level when I asked myself why I was doing this when it was only causing eyestrain and headache and was certainly “not fun.” I checked the Strategy Guide and found the statue was in an area I’d already checked—and where I hadn’t spotted anything. I could see it once I knew the general area, but completely missed it during the horizontal scanning.

Since scrolling screens bother my eyes and give me a headache, I don’t look at the screen as closely. Even if I try to look away while there is screen movement, I tend to get headache and not to examine the areas as closely.

I suppose some people don’t mind this sort of thing, but it’s always bothered me. I don’t like searching for hidden objects with a “flashlight” or “detector” either, but at least in those searches the screen isn’t moving around.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

ENIGMATIS: THE GHOSTS OF MAPLE CREEK PLAYTHROUGH—SECTION THREE

Your memories are coming back. This image keeps returning in flashbacks. Should you avoid the place? Or investigate further?

Maybe it’s time to visit the other side of Maple Creek’s scenic lake. Remember, as you merrily row, that life is but a dream.

The Preacher seems deeply involved in what’s going on in and around the town of Maple Creek, but we still have little idea as to exactly how and why.

This portion of the game is rather HO-heavy, but it also does a good job of creating an ominous atmosphere for the revelations that are yet to come.

For this section, play until you have all six brass wedges in inventory, and then stop. If possible, finish Section Three before Sunday, November 23rd when the final section will start.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I haven’t been ignoring the playthrough due to lack of interest but rather I have had unexpected family matters come up. I hope to rejoin after the weekend.

I like the game although the HO scenes hurt my eyes and are too frequent. Other than the HO scenes I like the artwork and the atmosphere. Delightfully creepy.

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Grrr!  For some reason, the focus button on the telescope wouldn’t move.  When I clicked on a blank hole, I just kept getting the panning arrows.  I don’t remember this happening before, but I had to wait for the skip button to load in order to solve it.  It’s very frustrating since it’s not really a difficult puzzle.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

My planned gaming session for last night didn’t pan out, so I’ve fallen behind. Frown
Will try to get the second session done tonight, and the third session tomorrow…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I restarted the game because I wanted to take another look at a few things. One of the things I didn’t see the first time was very Phantasmat-ic.

When you enter the old man’s house there is the head of another person looking at you from outside the window. It only lasts for a second, and by the time I realized what was going on it was too late to grab the screenshot. This happens at about the 2-hour mark of the game, so I doubt I will replay to get the shot. But if anyone is behind schedule, and hasn’t been to the house yet, be aware of what will happen. Maybe you can grab the screenshot.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

All done with this section now. I have saved the girl and also her boyfriend, reinforcements are on the way, I’m pretty sure I know where to find the Preatcher and are ready to take down the m*****f*****

One thing I did like about this part, apart from saving the girl, I always like saving the girl Grin, is that we learn that this is more than just a case for Hamilton, that it is very much personal for him. I do however wonder why he haven’t been able to take down the m*****f***** himself, I mean he has certainly had enough time to do it and it is not because he lacks motivation, but perhaps that is explained in the last part.I still hope that it is because he is under some kind of curse or influence from the Preacher, and not just because he is not as good as our heroine.

(Blurred spoilerish part of picture)

rtrooney - 21 November 2014 06:14 PM

When you enter the old man’s house there is the head of another person looking at you from outside the window. It only lasts for a second, and by the time I realized what was going on it was too late to grab the screenshot.

I also noticed that, and I believe I saw something similar at least one other time. I believe that it is Hamilton checking up on our progress.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 21 November 2014 07:59 PM

One thing I did like about this part that it is very much personal for him. I do however wonder why he haven’t been able to take down the m*****f***** himself, I mean he has certainly had enough time to do it and it is not because he lacks motivation

I think it is because he is an honorable detective, and won’t do anything vengeful without proof. It wasn’t him that discovered proof of her death. I think he is simply waiting for “us” to provide sufficient proof that will allow him to take action.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m a bit behind but have finished section 2! I found the congregation in the church a little freaky & that bell… I confess that I spent a lot longer on the cabinet puzzle the 1st time but this time didn’t have the patience! I wasn’t crazy about the telescope ‘puzzle’ but did work at that one & yes! I think the HO screens were more difficult & found myself using the hint button more! Yes! I suspect that was Detective Hamilton I met Izno but clicking on your link for some reason kept freezing my PC – I’m sure a problem at my end?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top