• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GirlbrushThreepWood

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Older and less attractive protagonists

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think one of the things to be proud about is how much our adventure games use less ‘typical’ protagonists in appearance.

When you look at other types of games, what you often find is the attractive muscled hero: slim, toned and young. So let’s show pride in our less sexy protagonists, and demonstrate our love for the less fortunate in the ‘looks’ department!

Here are a few of my favourites, what are yours? Smile

Poirot - Bald, fat and old. Nice to see in any game!

Nigel Danvers - Could he be more unfashionable? Seriously, I think the flat cap and sleeveless parker went out in the 90s. He even has an unfashionable name Smile

Rosangela Blackwell (and Joey) - Don’t get me wrong, she’s beautiful in my eyes but also very nerdy and shy (in the first game especially). Huge respect to Gilbert for not using a supermodel type. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well isn’t Larry on the top of them all ? Grin

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Oscar - 11 November 2014 10:42 PM

Nigel Danvers - Could he be more unfashionable? Seriously, I think the flat cap and sleeveless parker went out in the 90s.

I always thought he was modeled at least partly after the creator of the game. So careful what you’re saying.  Wink

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

ROGER SIMMS! Aka the sexiest man alive!!

Okay he was not Roger Simms for most of the game, but what he was wasn’t much sexier:

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Is it possible that having a less atractive main character allows the writters to focus in more intriguing parts of the character?

Constable Zellner was the main reason I liked The Raven (at least the first 1 and a half episodes). He won in the Aggies that year too! Smile

Jake Stonebender from CCS also comes to mind as a (or should I say the most?) brilliant written main character without having the best looks, to say the least.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Both from Chunsoft sound novels:

Ichikawa Fumiyasu of Machi ~ Unmei no Kousaten (one of the eight protagonists of the game; you zap between their storylines to progress). His storyline is about the internal struggle between his success as an extremely succesful pulp-for-themasses TV drama scenario writer, and his wish to write real literature for TV. And multiple personalities and stuff. It’s really creepy, actually.

Kayama of the Kamaitachi no Yoru (AKA Banshee’s Last Cry). Don’t worry, they’re all blue! Like most characters, Kayama (I think his English name is Buchanan?) appears in all games of the original trilogy, but the Kansai dialect speaking man only became a playable protagonist in X3. In the first game, he’s a rich, elderly businessman who can send you to a bad end almost immediately (by offering you a job, whisking you away from the scene of the crime). He’s also the only character in all games to have his his own theme song with lyrics!

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I couldn’t find any old and/or less attractive characters, but here are some weird-looking ones:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sheesh, zobraks… I can’t handle such scary images early in the morning. Who’s the halfnaked guy on the left? I hope I haven’t played his game.

Here are mine. A predictable choice. Smile I liked them both and Hoagie isn’t old, but they sure are unattractive.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

This is an excellent topic ;-)

Mind you, also Adventure games come with their fair share of traditional hero’s. George from Broken Sword comes to mind first. That one appeared to have been modeled directly from some Brad Pitt movie.

I suppose that when looking at the classics, especially LucasArts games were great at creating unique, quirky and untraditional protagonists and this goes far beyond just Hoagie. Manny Calavera, Laverne, Bernard, Sam, Max, Ben and even Guybrush to an extend.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 12 November 2014 03:36 AM

Sheesh, zobraks… I can’t handle such scary images early in the morning.

I thought you’d go:

Who’s the halfnaked guy on the left?

That’s good ol’ Eddie Battito in a deleted scene.
And you call yourself a FMV aficionado…

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

subbi - 12 November 2014 04:12 AM

I suppose that when looking at the classics, especially LucasArts games were great at creating unique, quirky and untraditional protagonists and this goes far beyond just Hoagie. Manny Calavera, Laverne, Bernard, Sam, Max, Ben and even Guybrush to an extend.

We’re not talking unique, quirky, untraditional. Don’t tell me you find Manny, Sam, Max, Ben Heart Eyes and Guybrush unattractive! 

zobraks - 12 November 2014 04:25 AM

Sheesh, zobraks… I can’t handle such scary images early in the morning.

I thought you’d go:

I did. Tongue

That’s good ol’ Eddie Battito in a deleted scene.

LOL! No it’s not Eddie Battito in Bad Mojo, I’d recognize him instantly. Deleted scenes my ass. Tell me who it is or I’ll… I’ll… never talk to you again. There!

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Thanks to Google’s pic-finding option.  Thumbs Up
It’s from Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties. Mr. Old-and-Ugly is playing with Miss Young-and-Attractive.

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

That’s a sado maso guy from a Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties Cool

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 November 2014 04:25 AM

It’s a CONSOLE game! Of course I haven’t played it.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 12 November 2014 04:36 AM

I got it. Thanks to Google’s pic-finding option.  Thumbs Up

You sleazy cheater… 

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

So you still read the guess-the-pic thread…

I appreciate your effort to live up to this thread’s theme. Unattractive tongue-stein and now Methusalem.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Karlok - 12 November 2014 04:36 AM
subbi - 12 November 2014 04:12 AM

We’re not talking unique, quirky, untraditional. Don’t tell me you find Manny, Sam, Max, Ben Heart Eyes and Guybrush unattractive!

Well, whatever makes you tick Smile , but no, IMHO they donot fit the traditional hero in the style of Indiana Jones or even George Stobbart lookswise. I didn’t bother to bring age into the mix, though…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top