• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough—Phantasmat

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Warning Again—Spoilers from this Point On in the Playthrough/Thread

Some of these images (and comments as well) will be spoilers. If you haven’t finished the game, go no further.

rtrooney - 05 November 2014 07:55 PM

I’ve been through that scene a few times myself. While not my driving style, only the top two-thirds of the steering wheel is shown. So, maybe our protagonist is one of those idiot, palms-up drivers that steer from the bottom part of the steering wheel. I have no other explanation.

On the other hand, there are more than a few games that have the same problem. I don’t think you ever saw the hands on the steering wheel in the original 1000 Doors game, nor, for that matter in the opening sequence of the Ravenswood game. I would try to do screenshots, but neither game is currently loaded.

Maybe it’s like cartoon characters that are drawn with only three fingers and a thumb. It’s easier, and thus more cost efficient.

No arms or hands on the wheel is a form of game logic (a convention we’re used to)?

I got the Girl in the bathroom mirror. It makes sense that she would be there—we ARE kicking her out of her room.

It only happens for a second the first time you put the cursor over the mirror. Good catch.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m trying to think of some interesting screenshots that haven’t already been posted, but am coming up blank.

If I didn’t say so already, nice job, Becky, on running the playthrough.

I don’t think the Discworld playthrough is out or the first chapter yet. Maybe it’s time to start thinking about the next CCPT.

Edit: Although that wont happen until everyone decides we’ve discussed all there is to discuss.

Another Edit: furgotten - I’m not certain that I would repurchase the game, no matter how great the sale, just to play the bonus material. But it may come to that. I am dissatisfied with my ability to locate a complete bonus game clip on YouTube. If anyone who has found a satisfactory clip, please post the link. So far I’ve found a part 1 of 2 that lasts 15 minutes. And its companion, part 2 of 2 that starts where part 1 started.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Yes, Becky, thank you for a fabulous job as playthrough leader. I really enjoyed your comments along with the screenshots introducing each section.

I learned a lot I never thought about with this game and think I will purchase the CE when it comes on sale. TimovieMan mentioned that you could see the town in its pre-flood splendor and I really would like to see that and more of the characters.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Let me also add my thanks to you Becky for leading this playthrough. Well done Thumbs Up

@Tim: We are on the 2nd act in the Discworld CP.

Edit: And this was the playthrough of the bonus chapter that I watched:

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll take the opportunity to thank Becky as well for leading a great playthrough, and for the lovely comments and screenshots! Thumbs Up

Iznogood - 07 November 2014 05:26 AM

Edit: And this was the playthrough of the bonus chapter that I watched:

Hey, that’s the same one I watched! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks to everyone who participated!

People are welcome to keep posting on this thread, but it’s probably time to un-sticky it.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thank you for leading us in this one, Becky!  You did a great job, and I really enjoyed replaying it after all this time.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the link. For me, all it tells me is that the fiancé was a cad. I still believe that she didn’t die in the flood. But certainly died because of it.

This is probably my last post to this thread. It was a great playthrough. Becky did a superlative job.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve been reading a poem by Billy Collins—The Art of Drowning, which has made me wonder if the final visions—as the Socialite and the Proprietor come to terms with what they’ve done and who they really are—are the equivalent of “your life flashing before your eyes” immediately before death. Since these compressed memories were the last things in the characters’ living minds, the imprint is so strong that, just by spending time in the company of these ghosts, you begin to see parts (and finally all) of the visions they saw as their lives were ending.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Don’t know how to respond to this. Because we/you/I/the protagonist actually provide the proprietor and socialite with the vehicle that provides them the end of life vision. So the protagonist is more an active participant than an observer. Not sure if that makes any sense. It did to me as I was writing it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yes, it makes sense. It sure sounds good, anyway!

Does a ghost handing you a room key to a room that is (at least partially) only a memory make sense?

Do I ask waaaay too many questions?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This game is full of ambiguities. But not nearly as many as Angelica had. It’s why I nominated it. I’m really glad you were leading it. Naughty  As good as I thought the game was, I was a bit leery of the potential flack from the number of HO scenes. Fortunately the HO scenes were sufficiently gruesome, which kept up the interest.  Smile

Off to a new playthrough!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 09 November 2014 01:25 PM

Does a ghost handing you a room key to a room that is (at least partially) only a memory make sense?

It does in a game. Tongue

Falls perfectly under willing suspension of disbelief for me. If you hadn’t brought this up, I would never have thought of it as a possible problem. And I actually still don’t think of it as a problem. The game handled stuff like this perfectly, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 09 November 2014 01:25 PM

As soon as you add ghost or other supernatural elements into the equation the normal rules of physics doesn’t really apply anymore, so you can get away with things like this as long as there aren’t any internal contradicting elements in the story.

Or put in less words: Yes!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top