• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Today, we continue to more quest item hunting. I can see that the vast majority of you have found the first item and spent many hours exploring the city of Ankh Morpork. I have decided that, at least for the first chapter, it would be pretty easy to follow a faster pace. Let’s say 2 quest items per 5 days. So, you have until the 1st of November to find both the metal container and the imp.

Tip: Remember, General Tip (ii) in the main post…

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Damn!  I moved the Discworld folder from my desktop to the folder I use for games, but when I went to start the game again I got an error message that said Path not Directory.  I put it back on my desktop and the game starts, but now all my saved games are gone.  That means I’ve got to start all over again.  Embarassed

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 October 2014 05:13 PM

Damn!  I moved the Discworld folder from my desktop to the folder I use for games, but when I went to start the game again I got an error message that said Path not Directory.  I put it back on my desktop and the game starts, but now all my saved games are gone.  That means I’ve got to start all over again.  Embarassed

Are you sure Lady K that when you returned the save file to your desktop, you changed the path of the file location where SCUMMVM automatically reads them as well (it is a menu option)?
Well, I am sure that while you probably gathered a number of items, we are still in the beginning. Could have been a lot worse later on…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m already behind schedule (I can keep up with one CPT, but apparently have a bit of difficulty keeping up with two), because I’ve only managed to start yesterday (and only for an hour too).

Still, there’s quite a few things I had forgotten, like how consistently hilarious it is. Like in CCS, just about every single line contains a joke, and a funny one at that! I’m having a blast clicking on everything!
I’d also forgotten how many different responses you get (a different one in every screen) for clicking on Rincewind (even losing the cursor in retaliation for a few seconds on occasion Grin).
And lastly, I’d forgotten (although it’s entirely possible that I never encountered it when I first played the game) what happens when you Eric idle for a minute. Tongue
The missus arrived home from work and we started talking for a bit. Then suddenly, Rincewind’s face came close to the screen with a “HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!! ANNNYYYYBBBOOOOOODDDDYYYY HOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEE????”. Had I been drinking something at the time, I would certainly have sprayed it all over the living room… Tongue

It’s also already obvious that I’ll enjoy the game even more this time around. The game served as my introduction to the Discworld universe all those years ago. I’m more well-versed in it now, so I’ll get more of the in-jokes and references.

One thing that’s struck me as odd, though, is that Death’s subtitles are NOT IN ALL CAPS! Dev team oversight???

Anyway, I’m doing my best to keep up, and once the other CPT finishes (which should be on Friday Halloween), I’ll be able to focus solely on this…

As a side note: when I read The Colour of Magic, I couldn’t help hearing Eric Idle’s voice whenever I read a Rincewind line. He totally owns the character! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2014 07:42 AM

Still, there’s quite a few things I had forgotten, like how consistently hilarious it is. Like in CCS, just about every single line contains a joke, and a funny one at that! I’m having a blast clicking on everything!

Yes! Smile

I’d also forgotten how many different responses you get (a different one in every screen) for clicking on Rincewind

I hadn’t forgotten the different responses for clicking on doorways, but thanks for reminding me to click Rincewind more than just once or twice. Luggage too. Aren’t those responses random, btw.

And lastly, I’d forgotten (although it’s entirely possible that I never encountered it when I first played the game) what happens when you Eric idle for a minute. Tongue The missus arrived home from work and we started talking for a bit. Then suddenly, Rincewind’s face came close to the screen with a “HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!! ANNNYYYYBBBOOOOOODDDDYYYY HOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEE????”. Had I been drinking something at the time, I would certainly have sprayed it all over the living room… Tongue

I’ll never forget how I fell for it all the way. I went to the kitchen for a sandwich or something when I was playing Discworld. I heard this voice shouting HALLO! and someone tapping on my window. So I ran to the front door, thinking the doorbell was defective. When I came back into the living room, there was Rincewind tapping and staring angrily at me from his screen in the corner. I couldn’t stop laughing for at least five minutes, it was so incredibly funny.

I’d taken a screenshot for future use as an AGSotD, but couldn’t resist the temptation to post it in this thread

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 28 October 2014 08:19 AM

Aren’t those responses random, btw.

They seem to repeat themselves within the same screen, but when you leave that screen, you’ll get a different response.
The one where Rincewind takes your cursor away for a bit doesn’t repeat itself, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2014 01:34 PM

The one where Rincewind takes your cursor away for a bit doesn’t repeat itself, though.

Actually it does, he has done that to me about 7 times now!
Of course I tend to use the wrong button a lot when I try to open his inventory, so I have been poking him in the ribs quite a bit.

BTW I just started rereading The Colour of Magic.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 28 October 2014 03:09 PM

Actually it does, he has done that to me about 7 times now!

I meant “while still on the same screen”.
Of course, if you go to another location, he might do it again. Had it three times now (but I’m still at UU).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

What I meant was: when you poke Rincewind in the ribs, his response is randomised and not location-specific.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 28 October 2014 07:16 PM

What I meant was: when you poke Rincewind in the ribs, his response is randomised and not location-specific.

I’ll do some more experimentation, then. It seemed to me that I always got the same response for clicking Rincewind while I was still on the same screen, and got another one when I went to another screen (or even when I came back to the earlier screen).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve been wandering around Ankh-Morpok and now have 16 objects. So far I have no idea what to do with them, it’s been too long. Which is great! Almost like playing Discworld for the first time.

I don’t know what I did to get the butterfly net, simply go out and in again so the bouncer moves one place away from the milk maid? The moment I got it I remembered what I should do with it. Of course I’d already spent ten minutes trying in vain to catch the you-know-what with my hands. Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 29 October 2014 09:16 AM

I don’t know what I did to get the butterfly net, simply go out and in again so the bouncer moves one place away from the milk maid? The moment I got it I remembered what I should do with it. Of course I’d already spent ten minutes trying in vain to catch the you-know-what with my hands. Smile

Yes, that was what I meant with my small hint. It will help you again in the future…
As for the butterfly net, it could also be the most used item in the game.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m about ready to give up.  I can’t seem to save my games anymore in ScummVM, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Edit:  I seem to be back on track again, thank goodness!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Hee!  I found the second item.  I had overlooked several places on the map, including the alley.  (I know you had posted it on the first page, Sefir, but I figured I could find everything myself.)  Also, I hadn’t talked to the cook properly until I had the ladder and the net, and then I realized what I had to do.  Of course, Rincewind climbed up the ladder without the net the first time, so it took me two tries.

I’m off to find the next item.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now got the next two items on the list and is ready to move on.

Actually I have got 3 of the items on the list, but I swear that is only because of a little misunderstanding, you see when you wrote [spoiler]the metal container[/spoiler] I read it as [spoiler]the metal coil[/spoiler] Meh a perfectly understandable mistake if you ask me.

Anyway I was actually stuck for some time, and was contemplating asking for a bit of help here or even *gulp* looking at a walkthrough, but then I noticed the map you post earlier (thanks) and realised there was still 3 placed that I hadn’t found yet. After that the rest was fairly easy and obvious, and by obvious I mean a question of trial and error.

I do remember quite a few of the puzzles even if it has been almost 20 years since I last played it, the curse of having a good memory I guess. Not all of the puzzle solutions are however as I remembered they should be, for example I was convinced that I had to use the fertilizer on the worm to make it grow into something bigger, but alas that was not the case.

The game is even funnier than I remembered it, with several conversations that literally made me laugh out loud, too many to start quoting them here so instead I will just leave you with some screenshots.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top