• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleJdawg445Lady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sefir - 15 October 2014 02:49 AM

The place where the game locates us is the city of Ankh Morpork, one of the biggest free cities.

Small point of order dear Leader.

It is actually the twin cities of Ankh and Morpork divided by the river Ankh and not a single city.

Not sure if I’m going to join in or not at the moment. I do have it running under Scumm but it looks hopeless under it’s natural window size on a 30” monitor and if I full screen it’s rather blurry. Is it possible to do a custom window size in Scumm?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 15 October 2014 06:27 AM

Is it possible to do a custom window size in Scumm?

Yes, at least to some degree.
In the graphics setting you can set the graphics mode, so selecting HQ3 would increase the size by three times, without blowing it up to full screen.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 15 October 2014 06:33 AM
Jabod - 15 October 2014 06:27 AM

Is it possible to do a custom window size in Scumm?

Yes, at least to some degree.
In the graphics setting you can set the graphics mode, so selecting HQ3 would increase the size by three times, without blowing it up to full screen.

Don’t expect too great a graphics though!! While the game aged well, it was still the mid 90s.

Karlok - 15 October 2014 06:23 AM

It’s confession time. After I’d played Discworld, I promised myself I’d read a Terry Pratchett novel. Still haven’t read a single one.  Shifty Eyed

No no no no no!!! Grin

Seriously though, you need to read just one to become a Terry Pratchet maniac fan who searches her entire local library, always in search for the next novel.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 15 October 2014 06:34 AM
Karlok - 15 October 2014 06:23 AM

It’s confession time. After I’d played Discworld, I promised myself I’d read a Terry Pratchett novel. Still haven’t read a single one.  Shifty Eyed

No no no no no!!! Grin

Seriously though, you need to read just one to become a Terry Pratchet maniac fan who searches her entire local library, always in search for the next novel.

If you ever do get around to reading one of the books, then I will recommend that you don’t start at the beginning.

The first two books “The Colour of Magic” and “The Light Fantastic” are a bit different from the rest, and he really hadn’t found his style yet. So a better choice imo would be to start with something like “Guards! Guards!” or perhaps “Small Gods” or “Equal Rites”, all books that doesn’t require having read any of the previous books (and three of the best imho).

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 15 October 2014 08:22 AM

If you ever do get around to reading one of the books, then I will recommend that you don’t start at the beginning.

The first two books “The Colour of Magic” and “The Light Fantastic” are a bit different from the rest, and he really hadn’t found his style yet. So a better choice imo would be to start with something like “Guards! Guards!” or perhaps “Small Gods” or “Equal Rites”, all books that doesn’t require having read any of the previous books (and three of the best imho).

I do believe that The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are both excellent books, introducing us with a large part of the world of Discworld and its characters and…it has Rincewind in it (believe me, a huge advantage if you have played the game first. You can actually feel the character’s lines into the novels spoken with Eric Idle’s voice.).
Certainly not Guards, Guards since many parts of the storyline are within the game. 

Small Gods and Pyramids are one offs that can be read any time (and Small Gods is my personal favorite along with Wyrd Sisters).
They are all extremely funny of cource.

Anyway, for anyone that wants to start reading Discworld novels, try to keep that chronological order:

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 15 October 2014 02:49 AM

The Luggage is made of sapient pearwood

Back in my online pokering days (and shortly after I’d read The Colour of Magic), I used the nickname “SapientPeartree” for a while. Sadly, nobody got the reference (luckily several people got my MazerRackham and 3HeadedMonkey names… Cool).

Death: HE ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS.

By far my favourite character in the Discworld universe. He’s absolutely hilarious!

The Librarian: Remember! Never, never call him the “m” word!!

Grin
This is still a running gag between me and a friend of mine (who coincidentally introduced me to this game and the Pratchett novels). Cool

What I don’t want to see is people get despaired by the game’s difficulty. It is indeed VERY difficult, but throughout planning AND cooperation, all problems can be solved.

I’ve played (and finished) this game before (back in the year 2000, iirc), I can do it again. I did use a walkthrough on occasion, though.
Will be interesting to see how much of the puzzles (if any) I remember…

EDIT 2: This will be a long playthrough.

Thumbs Up

Sefir - 15 October 2014 08:36 AM

I do believe that The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are both excellent books, introducing us with a large part of the world of Discworld and its characters and…it has Rincewind in it (believe me, a huge advantage if you have played the game first. You can actually feel the character’s lines into the novels spoken with Eric Idle’s voice.).

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 15 October 2014 02:50 AM

EDIT 2: This will be a long playthrough. I propose 7 days for each “prologue quest” (the riddles and actions you need to solve for activating each chapter’s main quest) and 5 days time for each main item, which in general means around 32-37 days for each chapter. Whoever gets behind due to his/her schedule, will find it easy to catch up with the rest of us.

So it will be a 3-4 months playthrough?

I’m a big fan of Discworld 2 and Noir (and the books) but I never played this one. Still deciding if joining or not. I’ll not be able to play for a time at the end of the year but I’ll be able to get catch up if the big playthrough is spread out.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!

Sefir, I hope you’ll reconsider the length of the playthrough. Four months is really too long.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve read a book here and there, like one Death novel and one Witch novel and a couple of Nightwatch novels. The most recent ones were the two first Rincewind ones since I found out about that same graph few posts ago. I have the intention to read all of the novels eventually but I tend to neglect reading a lot, favouring games and other stuff first.

I only played the first Discworld when I was probably around 12 or something so I missed a lot of the jokes. The version was also some kind of buggy, probably pirated version (the times were different then with lots of people still copying disks without even knowing there was anything wrong with it) and I couldn’t save. So you can bet I used the walkthru, and a lot. Good thing there wasn’t a power break or anything, I just left the game on my PC while I ate and slept Smile. So this will be an interesting experience. I wonder if I remember anything about the game.

Discworld Noir is still my absolute favourite game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished Raising Steam a few days ago and loved it.  Prachett’s characters have evolved beautifully over the course of the 40 books, and he has dealt with some serious subjects in wonderfully humorous ways.  Death is definitely my favorite character as well, although they all have touched me in one way or another.  I’m really looking forward to this playthrough.

I’m going to try ScummVM for Mac OSX.  Is scummvm.org the best place to download this?

I don’t have the game yet but am about to look for a copy.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 15 October 2014 12:30 PM

Sefir, I hope you’ll reconsider the length of the playthrough. Four months is really too long.

It is less actually, but it’s still a long one. The truth is that we can change the length of the playthrough based on your pace. For example, the first chapter is far easier than the second and third, meaning that it can be done in less time. We will see and discuss this as the playthrough goes by…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 October 2014 01:31 PM

Is scummvm.org the best place to download this?

That would be my guess.

Just tested my copy, ScummVM works like a charm, so I’m ready to go! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I found a used boxed copy on Amazon.  I should have it by early next week.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

I started from the beginning with the DW novels as a teenager. In hindsight, I think the best place to start is with Mort. That’s around the time where Pratchett gets away from “assorted parodies wrapped up in a picaresque journey” storytelling (the Rincewind books) and the characters get more likable.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The thing is that Pratchett started writing these as a parody of fantasy books, but already with his third book (Equal Rites) he kind of switched tracks, and turned it into more of a satire about politics, life, dead, religion, the universe and everything. You could say a bit less Monty Python and a bit more Dickens.

The two first books are funny and might be the best introduction to the Discworld (and introduce us to Cohen the Barbarian), but they lack the political wit and bite of the rest of the books, so they are imo not the best introduction to the writings of Terry Pratchett.

Certainly not Guards, Guards since many parts of the storyline are within the game.

Good point, but it is the first in the City Watch line, which happens to be my favourite line.

(and Small Gods is my personal favorite along with Wyrd Sisters).

Small Gods are also my own favourite one, closely followed by Thief of Time and Feet of Clay, the whole City Watch line and the whole Witch line and…

Anyway, for anyone that wants to start reading Discworld novels, try to keep that chronological order:

A bit simplified, I have for example always considered the Wizards of UU to be a separate line, and doesn’t Susan Sto Helit deserved her own line even though her grandfather is DEATH?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top