• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

But to plug the game graphics back into the early 90’s seems to be a waste of a good story.

I wish every game released has a budget of 5 million dollars, but that just does not happen.

Many indies are a labor of love by one person on a budget of a few thousand dollars. However, these indies can be real gems in terms of story and character development.

This game seems to be in that category. Despite the limited graphics, many of these indies have been award winning - like Gemini Rue.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 06 May 2016 07:54 AM

But to plug the game graphics back into the early 90’s seems to be a waste of a good story.

I wish every game released has a budget of 5 million dollars, but that just does not happen.

Many indies are a labor of love by one person on a budget of a few thousand dollars. However, these indies can be real gems in terms of story and character development.

This game seems to be in that category. Despite the limited graphics, many of these indies have been award winning - like Gemini Rue.

Heart

exactly an anybody wanting a game like gabriel knight 1 will love this game. Im really enjoying it so far

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I played the demo and it was kinda lousy. Shows off the pixel art and the sources of inspiration with the grandma and the motorcycle, but everything else is meh. The interface is a bit awkward, especially the inventory, the writing is functional and the one puzzle is uninspired. Not the best way to get people to go out and buy a game.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Another pixel art exploitation expecting sympathy with exaggerations like 5m$ budget example while there are many modern flash adventures made less than 500k$.Hey maybe more than you think who doesnt want to beam up 90’s over and over again and not want see a possible good story still wasting with pixellation.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 May 2016 08:47 PM

I really like the voice cast especially kathy and her best friend.

Eileen is voiced by Shelly Shenoy (Amy Wellard from Shardlight), she is indeed great.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Antrax - 07 May 2016 12:54 AM

I played the demo and it was kinda lousy. Shows off the pixel art and the sources of inspiration with the grandma and the motorcycle, but everything else is meh. The interface is a bit awkward, especially the inventory, the writing is functional and the one puzzle is uninspired. Not the best way to get people to go out and buy a game.

I actually liked the suitcase puzzle it was on the simple side but made logical sense. I will agree with you when it comes to the interface the buttons could have been made a little bigger, it was kind of clunky

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

critics seem to like it so far im going to try an play it again today, I am on day three

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kathy-rain/critic-reviews

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

People seriously are linking this game to Full Throttle? Because it has a motorbike? Wow.
It’s okay so far. Better than Full Throttle, anyhow.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I read the reviews, very positive. I’ll get the demo.

This game could get some aggie nominations this year!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 May 2016 10:28 AM

critics seem to like it so far im going to try an play it again today, I am on day three

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kathy-rain/critic-reviews

I love this one from RPGFan:

Cons:
Gaps in the backstory, one or two puzzles are unsolvable without a walkthrough.

Guess they don’t play many adventures. The puzzles were easy by any standard, and none were by any means unsolvable.

Edit: I just remembered the mausoleum puzzle, maybe the last clue was a little obscure.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

beat the game a couple of days ago really loved it until the last day, I thought the story kind of went of the rails. the puzzles were never too hard at all. the highest degree of difficulty was prob a 6/10 for one particular puzzle

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

GrahamDaventry - 08 May 2016 09:47 PM

People seriously are linking this game to Full Throttle? Because it has a motorbike? Wow.

Not just because it has a motorbike! It contains a number of explicit references to Full Throttle - take a look 50 seconds into the trailer.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 May 2016 12:23 PM

beat the game a couple of days ago really loved it until the last day, I thought the story kind of went of the rails. the puzzles were never too hard at all. the highest degree of difficulty was prob a 6/10 for one particular puzzle

Just finished the game and I broadly agree with that.

It is a good game for sure but it does fall short of greatness, I think partly due to length. There are some fairly complicated emotional issues that really surface in the last day but are really just touched on rather than explored. The issues are not dealt with badly or over simplistically, but I can’t help feel the game really could have been amazing if the whole of the character of Kathy was given a bit more time and a chance to explore it.

The writing is mostly strong (except for one Hell’s Angel type character who apologises like a child and then calls someone a **** in the same sentence and the chapter leader too I think). The VA is the usual Wadget Eye quality stuff and the soundtrack is pretty good for my money. Puzzles are OK but not brilliant on the whole, although there were one or two I liked for sure.

Still a good game though and I absolutely do not regret the pre-order.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2013-09-25

PM

I finished this game a few days ago, loved it and consider it a bit of a must for traditional adventure fans. The writing, characters and setting were right on point. If I had any criticism, the last chapter is a little brief, but all in all, a really fine piece of work! If you like the GK games I strongly believe you’ll like this one Smile

Cloak and Dagger Games: http://cadgames.co.uk

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here is an excellent review:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/30532

Please tell me an ios version is in work….............................

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top