• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

General Gaming News Thread

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Bought these PSX classics in mint condition for 140 euros:
Fear Effect 1
Fear Effect 2
Vagrant Story
Legend of the Dragoon,
Rayman,
Dino Crisis

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 13 May 2017 06:08 AM

Bought these PSX classics in mint condition for 140 euros
Rayman

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2017 05:19 AM
nomadsoul - 12 May 2017 12:52 PM
SoccerDude28 - 12 May 2017 11:53 AM

review a game for a deadline

I would not rate it and wait for patch
Why its deemed necessary to review on deadline?
Ans is revenue
EasyAllies are among best reviewers and rel reviews late
Why he waited 10 days for sim and Wdogs2 that pretty much kills his integrity
Why selective bias against prey?
And Why not have 2 reviewers rating it different on each platform
And if it was my job i would have been more professional to atleast check other PC copies out on youtube
Heck even that 10 min speedrun is PC one

Bugs are there in most games, recently my pal lost Dishonored 2 save
he replayed and it played fine
I finished same copy
Many lost on Skyrim and Fallout games, quest breaking to NPC disappearing bugs in 100 hrs game…
Not to mention Ubi shitty games

Annnnnnd guess what , he updated the review

Now it scores 8

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/13/prey-review-2

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Now tell me who was right, look at his praises
Either its damage control or back peddling
What i know is that grilling and complaining by fans always work

He works for a big publication. Might have been pressured by his boss. I just do not agree with devs shipping buggy games to meet desdlines anymore, especially bethesda. AAA games are expensive to buy, and no other industry gets away with that. I miss PS2 era when games just worked for the most part, no patches nothing. I tried to play Fallout 4 the other day on my super fast computer that plays everything on high settings, and it suffers from severe performance issues. How is that ok?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 13 May 2017 12:29 PM

No other industry gets away with that

Games are most complex to program esp big RPGs with quests and shit

Might have been pressured by his boss

Which is a good thing, who himself might be pressured by gamers
People were also unsubscribing and Arkane immediately released the patch, next day
Also Dan was caught as a liar as he waited 10 days for sims and WD2
Social media hammers like anything

AAA games are expensive to buy

Never disagreed on that one

I miss PS2 era when games just worked for the most part, no patches nothin

Same, which is funny that i use to use this argument in Console favor against PC
Comfy couch, no hassle of upgrades and going in options to change settings and downloading games, installing patches
Many of which found its way into consoles now

I just do not agree with devs shipping buggy games to meet desdlines anymore, especially bethesda

Ubi is worse and still racking $$$ on consumer stupidity recent case being Forhonor craptastic online code

I tried to play Fallout 4 the other day on my super fast computer that plays everything on high settings, and it suffers from severe performance issues. How is that ok?

Its not and Todd howard gets a free pass (watch the vid below)
You should be playing Prey though Smile

PS= Last of us, which i rated highly had severe issues on fat ps3s, shutting it down
Many Ndog games gave yellow light on ps3s
There was one area where switching on flashlight was crashing my game constantly
Gaffers had same issues
Luckily i didnt get YLOD and in very high powered AC , i ran through the area with flashlights off, after 5 crashes i managed to pass through
It never occurred again and i loved the game anyway

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2017 01:07 PM

Games are most complex to program esp big RPGs with quests and shit

I don’t disagree, but more QA time should resolve this. We had 100 hour RPG’s since the SNES era and those games were fine. It all boils down to how much time you want to spend to polish your games.

Which is a good thing, who himself might be pressured by gamers
People were also unsubscribing and Arkane immediately released the patch, next day
Also Dan was caught as a liar as he waited 10 days for sims and WD2
Social media hammers like anything

I don’t disagree that there is hypocrisy in his ratings, but the problem is that without punishment, devs are going to keep doing what they are doing. Like you said about Todd, he always gets a free pass. Journalists need to grill every dev that releases a buggy product. That’s the only way they can learn, because it might affect their bottom line. But when you just give elder scrolls and fallout and watchdogs glorious 9’s, they will just repeat the same behavior.

Same, which is funny that i use to use this argument in Console favor against PC
Comfy couch, no hassle of upgrades and going in options to change settings and downloading games, installing patches
Many of which found its way into consoles now

There was a period in the 2000’s before Steam, when I abandoned PC gaming completely, because of this. I was so frustrated with patches and bugs and performance that I just said eff it and started playing consoles instead. But then in the PS3/X360 era, all of PC gaming’s issues went to consoles. Day 1 patches, laggy and buggy games, even games that break your console like you said. Today, my PS4 is a PC pretty much, without windows running on it. It’s just really frustrating that with all the advancements we have made in technology, we still suffer from laggy games and game crashing bugs. We need to hold devs accountable because this crap does not fly in other industries.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 13 May 2017 02:14 PM

I don’t disagree, but more QA time should resolve this. We had 100 hour RPG’s since the SNES era and those games were fine. It all boils down to how much time you want to spend to polish your games

Huge project scope = Messy project management
I think programming is more and more complex considering AI and scripting and engine memory leaks plus optimizations
Even if AI has to be taken into account , it means a lot of work
There was this Iranian guy who singlehandedly programmed first FF
Same for indies which look like effort by few people
But its hard to find good programming talent for large ass projects that demand
so much

devs are going to keep doing what they are doing. Like you said about Todd, he always gets a free pass. Journalists need to grill every dev that releases a buggy product. That’s the only way they can learn, because it might affect their bottom line. But when you just give elder scrolls and fallout and watchdogs glorious 9’s, they will just repeat the same behavior

Its a catch22, imagine a situation where IGN cannot get scoop for 20million sales
franchise Skyrim or Elderscrolls
Any other journalist competitor will cash that and it will be heavy hit for others and loss revenue, considering majority of mainstream out there is Elderscrolls,Ubi,R* etc
You get the point for Toddhoward reverence Smile
These sites themselves are dubious living on click baits where half arent even proper gamers

It’s just really frustrating that with all the advancements we have made in technology, we still suffer from laggy games and game crashing bugs. We need to hold devs accountable because this crap does not fly in other industries.

I understand this problem as a product of quantity of Games as factory product with large teams meeting fiscal deadlines

If you take profit into account , closure of Irrational after Bioshock infinite
SEnix selling Hitman
MEA now as support team
You will get the drift
Kojima being kicked out falls in same category
You cannot take infinite time, whether for content or polish, it hits bottomline and returns are not always guaranteed beyond perceived projection of sales
My Bro said same thing on this issue, its a waste to wait for more than 3 years for games
Prey is remarkable in that aspect too, i think next Tango and Machine games game will release next year too
Atleast Beth is making creative portfolios unlike Ubi or others to redeem some bugs
They have best portfolio along with Sony

New studios opening everywhere, budget of talent going up and scope of games escalating like anything
You would need more time to render same shit which required less before
More manhours, and all what happens before Beta is useless since QA starts then , with deadlines upclose crunch shit hits the fan and some make it through others dont

One thing though can be avoided
Shitty engines, thats a fucking disaster in disguise for industry
Idtech5 was worst offender for Beth(Wolf,evilwithin,rage,Dishonored2) and their Elderscrolls engine is a hot mess too
They need to scrap that for future fallouts and IPs
Then there is Unity…disaster , Dreamfall to Syberia

I hope Machinegames and Tango go for Idtech6 or UE4

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2017 02:42 PM

I understand this problem as a product of quantity of Games as factory product with large teams meeting fiscal deadlines

If you take profit into account , closure of Irrational after Bioshock infinite
SEnix selling Hitman
MEA now as support team
You will get the drift
Kojima being kicked out falls in same category
You cannot take infinite time, whether for content or polish, it hits bottomline and returns are not always guaranteed beyond perceived projection of sales
My Bro said same thing on this issue, its a waste to wait for more than 3 years for games

I understand that. Then maybe devs should lower the scope a little. I read that something like 20% finished GTA 4. There is so much content that is never played by most players, and yet they keep expanding the scope. Bigger is not always necessarily better, especially when your games become a glitch fest.

Also I completely agree on the engines. Both id tech 5 and fallout engines are awful. I actually like EA’s frostbite engine which seems to run good, although they don’t seem to make a good game on it. It is super smooth and looks gorgeous. Also Unreal Engine 4 is amazing, and I’m surprised not more devs use it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 13 May 2017 03:53 PM

I understand that. Then maybe devs should lower the scope a little. I read that something like 20% finished GTA 4. There is so much content that is never played by most players, and yet they keep expanding the scope. Bigger is not always necessarily better, especially when your games become a glitch fest

Its a catch22 too,
Many gamers ask me value in hours, they want to kill time, like Destiny or Ass creed
Many want as much of a big game as 60$ can justify
They are not like me who will buy games for reasons i have they will pick one game and dedicate their months on it
And thats a major segment now
I know many many of that 20% you mentioned, who will switch on the game will roam around do foolish stuff like driving a car into river and laugh at it
Play multi for socializing and streaming
Same for fifa fans, play one or 2 matches switch it off

This another reason why i like Beth, they concentrate on just single players, those gamers like us

And even scope is smaller like Doom or UC4, shit is top of performace and graphics quality, it needs time but yeah 14 to 20 hours of tight content is better than 40 to 60
They can target 20 hours as default and trim fat in single player games(Prey is in same ballpark)
And get out of openworld complex
Openworld Skyrim complex, again Todd howard Smile

I actually like EA’s frostbite engine which seems to run good, although they don’t seem to make a good game on it.

NFS, ME catalyst ,DAGE were great but problem is after dragon age most of the games look similar that was issue with UE3 too back in the day
Engine tends to look very similar , that was one of the tests Kojima ran on Decima engine that if his game will look more like Horizon, because rendering pipelines tend to merge alot in output…same reason why Dishonored 2 excellent art design had muted feeling in textures thanks to John thief Carmack engine

Also Unreal Engine 4 is amazing, and I’m surprised not more devs use it.

Tons and tons of UE4 game coming and released
Shenmue3, FF7remake, SFV,Guiltygear,Seaofthieves,Tekken7 list goes on
Even Japanese Devs now abusing it
I think we will reach same UE4 game looks same point soon
Some jungles of Scalebound,Bardstale, KH3 and new DQ for eg already sharing samey looks

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also I completely agree on the engines. Both id tech 5 and fallout engines are awful.

Id tech 5 and now 6 is good for the few games it supports, no? At least Doom/Rage/Wolfenstein all look and run great on PCs.
Gamebryo/Creation engine usually are released with lots of bugs and look kind of dated but are also great for what Bethesda does with the open-world. It’s mostly for a sandbox that allows for lots of customization with mods. There’s a reason they are still some of the most played games on Steam even beating stuff like Witcher 3.

nomadsoul - 14 May 2017 10:49 AM

I understand that. Then maybe devs should lower the scope a little. I read that something like 20% finished GTA 4. There is so much content that is never played by most players, and yet they keep expanding the scope. Bigger is not always necessarily better, especially when your games become a glitch fest

Its a catch22 too,
Many gamers ask me value in hours, they want to kill time, like Destiny or Ass creed
Many want as much of a big game as 60$ can justify
They are not like me who will buy games for reasons i have they will pick one game and dedicate their months on it
And thats a major segment now
I know many many of that 20% you mentioned, who will switch on the game will roam around do foolish stuff like driving a car into river and laugh at it
Play multi for socializing and streaming
Same for fifa fans, play one or 2 matches switch it off

This another reason why i like Beth, they concentrate on just single players, those gamers like us

And even scope is smaller like Doom or UC4, shit is top of performace and graphics quality, it needs time but yeah 14 to 20 hours of tight content is better than 40 to 60
They can target 20 hours as default and trim fat in single player games(Prey is in same ballpark)
And get out of openworld complex
Openworld Skyrim complex, again Todd howard Smile

Seems like what every big publisher is after, game as service, getting people to stay more time with the game and how to monetize that with micro-transactions.
GTA still sells but it has a lot to do with the online game now, reason why there is no single player expansion.
But there’s still market for everybody so the single player games are not going away.  Open world is welcome in some games just doesn’t need to be shoehorned in games like Mirror’s Edge sequel.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 14 May 2017 11:52 AM

Also I completely agree on the engines. Both id tech 5 and fallout engines are awful.

Id tech 5 and now 6 is good for the few games it supports, no? At least Doom/Rage/Wolfenstein all look and run great on PCs.
Gamebryo/Creation engine usually are released with lots of bugs and look kind of dated but are also great for what Bethesda does with the open-world. It’s mostly for a sandbox that allows for lots of customization with mods. There’s a reason they are still some of the most played games on Steam even beating stuff like Witcher 3.

Not sure about Doom because I haven’t played it, but I have Rage and it always suffered from performance issues. You can blame my setup, but right now I have a Geforce GTX 1080. It could be that the game is not new-driver friendly, I’m not sure but I am just not impressed with how it runs, and that is not a new game. In comparison, Ass Creed Syndicate and Gears of War 4 run like a dream for example.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Seems like what every big publisher is after, game as service, getting people to stay more time with the game and how to monetize that with micro-transactions.
GTA still sells but it has a lot to do with the online game now, reason why there is no single player expansion.
But there’s still market for everybody so the single player games are not going away.  Open world is welcome in some games just doesn’t need to be shoehorned in games like Mirror’s Edge sequel.

Yeah I hear that this is Ubi’s strategy now. They want to try to push gaming as a service in every new game they release. Surprisingly, the game that made them most money and helped them hit their targets this year wasn’t For Honor or wildlands, but it was Rainbow Six Siege. It seems like that game now has a following after it has stabilized after the catastrophic launch.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 14 May 2017 12:29 PM

Not sure about Doom because I haven’t played it, but I have Rage and it always suffered from performance issues. You can blame my setup, but right now I have a Geforce GTX 1080. It could be that the game is not new-driver friendly, I’m not sure but I am just not impressed with how it runs, and that is not a new game. In comparison, Ass Creed Syndicate and Gears of War 4 run like a dream for example.

Really should be the drivers, should be more that enough to run Rage but Id Tech 5 did disappoint at the release with some problems and multiple delays. Anyway, IdTech 6 is big step up from 5 with great perfomance on PC and consoles at launch for Doom. New team after Carmack left did a great job.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-face-off

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Reason why Scalebound got the Spencer Axe

Spencer says same shit on first party games too,

“The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent. You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind.”

Bad sign , but hey they want to make money

single player games are not going away

Sony,Beth and Japanese Devs are last saviors
I hope not

Wolf never looked great and no tech5 was utter shit that made EvilW struggle and Mikami even lambasted it, and i played Wolf on 4 dvds and then later DLC was big ass too
John thief Carmack mega textures was a tragedy
Now Tech6 is heavily moded top tier stuff from Crysis gurus , thats why Doom is a sex on consoles and Ultra sex on PC 4k Titan or recent cards

I have Rage and it always suffered from performance issues. You can blame my setup, but right now I have a Geforce GTX 1080. It could be that the game is not new-driver friendly

You have to take into account that PC ports suck and have lowest priority , manytimes out sourced, its not a problem of Dev, its a cost driven situation
Prey was in house
Most of the ubi aint
Cant blame them since PC is least preferable and other stats of piracy

http://www.dualshockers.com/47-american-gamers-prefer-consoles-27-prefers-pc-26-prefers-mobile-nielsen/

Plus super cheap sales dont bring revenue from PC
200,000 on both PC and PS4 dont mean much when later is guaranteed 60$
and former gets sales promotion

So port the PC ver Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 14 May 2017 01:06 PM

Really should be the drivers, should be more that enough to run Rage but Id Tech 5 did disappoint at the release with some problems and multiple delays. Anyway, IdTech 6 is big step up from 5 with great perfomance on PC and consoles at launch for Doom. New team after Carmack left did a great job.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-face-off

There is actually an unofficial unsupported 64 bit version of Rage that runs much better. I do remember id tech 5 having launch problems, but usually after a few years the engine should becomes much better as tech improves. Seems not the case for idtech 5, but I guess they just fixed all those in the new iteration of the engine. Oh the fun of PC Gaming Pan

I am surprised that idtech6 is a big step up. Carmack takes all the credit, so I thought the engine would be dead after he was gone.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 14 May 2017 01:13 PM

Now Tech6 is heavily moded top tier stuff from Crysis gurus ,

SoccerDude28 - 14 May 2017 01:17 PM

I am surprised that idtech6 is a big step up. Carmack takes all the credit, so I thought the engine would be dead after he was gone.

Id hired Tiago Sousa from Crytek and he’s portuguese Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top