• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lux-Pain : Real Adventure Game or Visual Novel ? 

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-09-20

PM

I would like to know your opinions about this very unique game for the Nintendo DS Smile

I was looking for a new adventure game on my handheld and just found the pitch of this one really attractive and intriguing.

I know the localisation for this one is very poor but despite that, is it fun and entertaining to play ?

Would love to hear from at least one fan of Lux Pain here Grin

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also have this game too.

I have a collector’s edition with a beautiful art book and deluxe box.

The game is a visual novel. Very little player interaction and no real puzzles.

Few positive reviews also. Some minigames towards the end are quite difficult too.

Only buy if you LOVE visual novels and have to collect them all AND can find the collector’s edition cheap.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

(I wish people would stop calling every Japanese adventure a visual novel…)

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tantei KID - 24 September 2014 02:46 AM

(I wish people would stop calling every Japanese adventure a visual novel…)

I wish people would start calling visual novels ‘real’ adventure games.
VNs are an AG subgenre in my book.

Also, the screenshots given make it look like it has at least as much gameplay as Time Hollow did, which is significantly more than Jake Hunter had, for instance…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Also, the screenshots given make it look like it has at least as much gameplay as Time Hollow did, which is significantly more than Jake Hunter had, for instance…

No where near as much interaction as Time Hallow. And less than Jake Hunter as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Visual Novels aren’t necessarily always adventure games at all, TimovieMan - at least not in my opinion. Most released VN’s have zero mini-games, zero puzzles and zero interaction beyond a handful of choices (mostly regarding which girl you want to choose) spread over 30’ish hours of reading. They are what their genre name implies - novels with visuals (and sound).

However, then there’s the ones like Danganronpa, Corpse Party or Ace Attorney that are rightfully called adventure games as they not only provide reading but also actual interaction.

You should try reading something like Planetarian (available on Steam for 10 bucks, takes only a few hours to get through) or another well-regarded VN with zero gameplay content so we could have a discussion about whether or not it’d constitute an adventure game in your book, Tim, because most of the time I would say they have nothing to do with adventure games and that’s just fine, they’re great on their own without that “real game” label placed upon them.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 September 2014 09:57 AM

Visual Novels aren’t necessarily always adventure games at all, TimovieMan - at least not in my opinion. Most released VN’s have zero mini-games, zero puzzles and zero interaction beyond a handful of choices (mostly regarding which girl you want to choose) spread over 30’ish hours of reading. They are what their genre name implies - novels with visuals (and sound).

They are in my opinion, which was my whole point. I know AG doesn’t consider the ones without any gameplay to be adventures, but I do.
The forums should have made obvious that we all have a different definition of what constitutes an adventure game… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

TimovieMan - 24 September 2014 12:35 PM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 September 2014 09:57 AM

They are in my opinion, which was my whole point. I know AG doesn’t consider the ones without any gameplay to be adventures, but I do.
The forums should have made obvious that we all have a different definition of what constitutes an adventure game… Wink

Well that’s very vague - why do you consider them an adventure? I really don’t see the connection at all. Have you read any Visual Novels that have no gameplay, or are you basing this on various DS titles? Enlighten me, Tim!  Laughing

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

If I need to put visual novels under some larger genre I’d also definitely put them under adventures. Some interactive movies have very little gameplay too and they are still imo adventures, so I agree with Tim here. Though I still often specify interactive movie or visual novel from “real” (puzzle) adventure just because lots of people want the distinction.

I have played those “dating sims” that really have just a couple of choices in them and even those hardly change the course of the game and I still think this way. Also hentai games and several interactive movies and all kinds of hybrids.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 September 2014 02:12 PM

Well that’s very vague - why do you consider them an adventure? I really don’t see the connection at all. Have you read any Visual Novels that have no gameplay, or are you basing this on various DS titles? Enlighten me, Tim!  Laughing

They consist almost exclusively of storytelling (which I consider the most important aspect) and you don’t need reflexes. Puts them under adventure games in my book (especially since I consider AGs to be the broadest genre).

And yes, I’ve played/read some VNs without any gameplay (and with a minimum of choices). Doesn’t change my mind.

In other words: I agree with millenia. Cool

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s all under adventure, just not the point & click genre Tongue

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Interesting that you all feel that way. I would have thought Tim would be in the minority on that one, but I guess not. It’d be interesting to see how a VN community would categorize their genre if asked the question. I might be in the minority on both sides of the fence after all Tongue

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Well, I can understand the uncertainty, but for me the term adventure covers quite a lot of genre’s really. It’s mostly down to what sub categories they fit into.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

@Kasper F. Nielsen: From your description I got the impression you were talking about “adventure games” before the topic changed to “adventure.”
When I go to the bakery, taking an unknown road, I guess it’s an adventure for me, and perhaps a survival trip.Confused But you are of course quite right about the other part of the expression. A lot of these “visual novels” aren’t games, just interactive stories. Though I guess some will also consider reading a book or going to the bathroom as a “game.”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top