• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Day One: a new crowdfunding project from Pendulo Studios

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yeah but they changed their crew as soon as they migrated to 3D and consoles.it’s not the same people working and it’s definitely not the same way of working either.too many things change you can’t judge them by BS3 and BS4.BS2 might not be as great as the previous games but it was good enough.

and i do think Pendulo chose a wrong crowdfunding site.After DFA we’ve seen a lot of projects choosing crowdfunding and to this day apart from Pendulo everyone else is in Kickstarter.to many out there crowdfunding adventure games has become synonymous with Kickstarter they even use the term kickstarting instead of crowdfunding.

and with ten days left and not even past 50%(15% at the moment) it makes you wonder why.
they’ve produced so many games.for me they all were fun to play..but this is disappointing.
they could have at least gone to 100.000$.

even Sam Suede went higher than that.and it had a lot of bad press from very early.

also consider that there are many who pledge just to help and not because they’ve played the games or they really look forward to it.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-08-17

PM

jhetfield21 - 29 August 2012 03:48 AM

even Sam Suede went higher than that.and it had a lot of bad press from very early.

also consider that there are many who pledge just to help and not because they’ve played the games or they really look forward to it.

Sam Suede stopped at $14,290, that’s not higher at all.

Plus Pendulo was refused by Kickstarter and could not afford to set up an office in the US. This is what Revolution Software said about Kickstarter:
“the US thing is indeed a problem… however, we have set up Revolution Inc with USA bank account, etc. A VERY difficult and time consuming endeavor to say the least. Everyone with a project in Europe has to do the same thing at the moment.”

I pledged to a lot of adventure games project just for support, but I don’t mind if they are on Kickstater or elsewhere. What’s the difference really. Kickstarter is a website that makes it a pain in the *** for European developpers to put up their project. They don’t accept Paypal, they don’t support multilingual project pages, they force you to pay in dollar (and to pay change fee to your bank). What a great platform!

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

my bad..i misremembered.

ok that explains a lot,but it still doesn’t change the fact that maybe it is a problem they couldn’t get into kickstarter.

i don’t have a problem with other crowdfunding sites either and i never said it was better in terms of services.it’s just that kickstarter has gained a lot of fame for adventure games lately and people are looking at it more than other sites.pendulo must be the only one not hosted on kickstarter.can you blame people for not noticing it?

also i use amazon for my dealings with kickstarter so no problem there for me.

Joined 2012-08-17

PM

I’m not sure that the problem is that people didn’t notice it.
Day One’s campaign has been advertised high and low, on all major gaming sites, on most adventure-related forums, and even in many comment sections of Kickstarter adventure campaigns. From the comments I heard in many places, many people just won’t pledge if it’s not on Kickstarter (and I still don’t really understand why).

Plus Pendulo doesn’t have the nostalgia factor, since they have been releasing adventure games regularly during the 10 past years).

If your bank account is not in dollars, you probably pay a change fee to your bank when using amazon for Kickstarter. Then, when Revolution Software will want their money back, they’ll pay another change fee to convert dollars to british pound. I’d rather have this money used to create the game than to make bankers rich.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

hmm you might be right there…..on the other hand even without the nostalgia they should have been able to raise half the money if people find the games interesting.

while i do enjoy and have all their games i’ve heard a lot of people claiming otherwise…

Joined 2012-08-17

PM

You’re right, Pendulo doesn’t seem to get a lot of love from the adventure game community, and that’s a little bit sad.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

for any adventure game developer…but when it is such an active developer all the more.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

the campaign was unsuccessful, only €48,116 out of €300,000 was raised.
I wish them better luck next time!
I’m curious if they’re planning to reboot the campaign…

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

maybe they’ll send an update with their decisions about what now…

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Yes, this is a BIG shame that this project was not funded. It is actually a big surprise that more fans of the Adventure genre did not pledge. Anyway, I really hope that the restart the campaign or fund this project themselves. It really looks like an interesting game.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I think it’s not so much a lack of love for Pendulo Studio but rather Kickstarter fatigue. I really wanted to see this project funded but after having pledged for Double Fine, Pinkerton Road, Lsl, Tex Murphy, SpaceVenture, Quest For Infamy (I enjoyed their remakes, couldn’t not fund them) and so on, I just didn’t have the money anymore…

It’s a pity because it was a very interesting concept and I would definitely have picked it up once released, just couldn’t pledge one more kickstarter campaign (I haven’t even pledged for Broken Sword 5 yet)

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-09-11

PM

It’s really a pitty.
But I agree with you giom.

So many great games are fundet at the moment.
At best I want the boxed version for my adventure collection.

Hope they’ll find another source.
Or maybe try it again later.

I am Guybrush Threepwood, mighty Pirate!

Quote of the last played Game!
Space Quest 6: “Oh, yeah, real smart. Let’s go poking around inside a pod that’s probably carrying a half-dozen
miniature face-hugging, saliva-dripping, face-eating exo-skeletal alien piranha things.
And while we’re at it, let’s split up so that we’re all alone and defenseless, okay?”

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

received a mail from game lab earlier saying that the game did not get funded and that for us backers they would allow us to download a Pendulo game for free(provided a promotion code).downloaded Yesterday as I had it in Steam so a drm-free version was very tempting.not to mention i had all others in hard copies so it was the only choice.

mighty good of them though….to allow one free copy of a game.and the game wasn’t even funded.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-08-29

PM

VERY generous indeed!  Grin

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Maybe it would have done better on Kickstarter? Or maybe people’s wallets are being drained by the regular crowdfunding projects starting now. I believe these are a great idea that could boost the genre and bring back the 90s feel (small companies doing great things with no limitations), and the Broken Sword 5 one has me particularly excited, but there are so many of them now that people have to pick and choose what they fund.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top