• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RPGs do narrative better than AGs

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

So tell me, what was the most memorable moment of Skyrim’s story for you?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 08 September 2014 03:43 AM

So tell me, what was the most memorable moment of Skyrim’s story for you?

The whole pilgrimage to the top of the mountain, and meeting with Paarthurnax.
And then how the main storyline ends up combining whole Elderscrolls theme,
Scrolls that are essence of multiverse in the series.

Apart from that self contained and connected quests like Diplomatic Immunity ,World Eaters Eyrie or investigation ones like Blood On The Ice etc.

In comparison talking with Marek from Diamond (BrokenAge) feels good but not as good.
As he feels super childish and makes less sense, not to mention his art.
And being 4 hr chunk doesn’t help much.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The mountaintop is the only damn thing I remember from the game, and only due to the voice acting. It’s a typical 1980s “kill the foozle” RPG plot, pasted onto a ridiculously overproduced walking simulator. Worth maybe 4 or 5 hours of your time, but no more.

I’m actually struggling to think of an adventure with a worse story than Skyrim. Even Quest for Glory was better - at least that had Erasmus (and a walking hut).

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I think a lot of RPG’s have good character development than actual plot. The plot is crippled by the way RPG’s are designed a lot of the time, but it does give writers the chance to really give deep character development though the side quests/missions.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 08 September 2014 04:04 AM

The mountaintop is the only damn thing I remember from the game, and only due to the voice acting. It’s a typical 1980s “kill the foozle” RPG plot, pasted onto a ridiculously overproduced walking simulator. Worth maybe 4 or 5 hours of your time, but no more.

I’m actually struggling to think of an adventure with a worse story than Skyrim. Even Quest for Glory was better - at least that had Erasmus (and a walking hut).

Brokenage already mentioned.
That Monster eating people in Brokenage oldass Indian/Chinese folklore cliche.
Monster is coming and and he will eat , seriously??? People enjoying that has audacity to criticize Skyrim.

The premise is super childish and full of tropes.

Shay’s plot is direct ripoff of The Moon starring Samrockwell.

Take the idea and mix in with cakes on sky and voila.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Broken Age isn’t exactly the pinnacle of AG narrative. Can we talk about, I dunno, Miasmata instead? Riven? Sanitarium?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Multiple narratives and such are just possible devices to tell a story.
Just because they have been deployed by the writer doesn’t make the narration de facto better.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 07 September 2014 10:12 PM

How Dragon language is part of narrative???
Its there as a fabric of whole Skyrim culture, let alone story.
Its there to understand the books, the language of NPCs, Dragons and even used in
gameplay shouts so on. They aren’t tagged on.

But what does any of that matter unless the game actually uses that to tell you a story?
I mean Tolkien also created a whole Elven language and a lot of background lore when he wrote The Lord of the Rings, but he didn’t stop there and just published the language and the lore! He actually used it to tell us a great story, and you don’t need to read this lore or understand Elvish, in order to enjoy and understand the books. 

Lucien21 - 08 September 2014 03:09 AM

Trying to justify Skyrim as a great story is hilarious. By virtue of it being open ended and random it makes a conhesive narritive impossible….
It’s good at world building and atmosphere etc, but looking at it as a whole it barely hangs together.

I agree.
Now I must admit that I only played Skyrim to about lvl 25, simply because the game bored me out of my skull, and the reason I found it so boring is because of the distinctive lack of any kind of coherent narrative. Now if I had stuck with it then I guess it is possible I might have discovered some kind of story buried deep inside the game somewhere, but up until the point I played there where absolutely zero coherent narrative.

This isn’t necessarily the case for all RPGs, in fact most modern RPGs are far more story based than Skyrim was. So as an example to prove your point, I don’t think you could have chosen a worse example.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kind of hard to make specific comparisons between games but, in my opinion, narrative in games can’t be just about a script or a story (big or small), they are not books, same way a movie narrative is not just about the script.

In that point RPGs have been a lot more progressive considering the storytelling - just look how much evolved between Daggerfall and Skyrim or how Bioware revolutionized characters, relations and story with Baldur’s Gate and more specifically Kotor.

Now adventure games seemed to be stuck for years in the passive linear point and click narrative (first or third person) and just in recent years tried to deviate from the formula presenting some interesting new ways of storytelling (Heavy Rain, Gone Home for example).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 08 September 2014 12:54 PM

Now adventure games seemed to be stuck for years in the passive linear point and click narrative…

At least most of the story-heavy RPGs are also very linear, with at best 2-4 story-quests at any given time where you can chose the order yourself, and at worst all the story-quests have to be played in the exact order planned by the developers. They are just padded with a lot of side-quests to conceal the linearity of the story.

So there seem to be a consensus among developers of all kinds of games, not just Adventure Games, that if you want to tell a story you have to do it in a linear way, though I don’t necessarily agree with this myself.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe that there is a lot of things that AGs can learn from RPGs, and I would love to see adventure games with more freedom in how I want to play them etc., but the one thing I would hate to see is the less focused narrative of RPGs seeping into AGs.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 08 September 2014 02:20 PM

At least most of the story-heavy RPGs are also very linear, with at best 2-4 story-quests at any given time where you can chose the order yourself, and at worst all the story-quests have to be played in the exact order planned by the developers. They are just padded with a lot of side-quests to conceal the linearity of the story.

So there seem to be a consensus among developers of all kinds of games, not just Adventure Games, that if you want to tell a story you have to do it in a linear way, though I don’t necessarily agree with this myself.

I don’t agree that a narrative has to be linear to be good, in any genre, but in RPGs its specially dangerous to become too linear.
But even Mass Effect that is an extremely linear RPG (specially number 3), even taking out the combat. has that element of choice in dialogues, missions, relationships and well-developed characters that sets its narrative apart what is mostly done in adventure games.

An example of a mostly non-linear RPG with a strong narrative is a favorite of mine : Fallout: New Vegas. Most of the stuff in the world is built the a purpose, a lot of quest are carefully crafted, good dialogues and built system of factions that works. Plus is has that “Old World Blues” expansion that is just wonderful! seriously, I think any adventure gamer would get a kick out of it, even with the combat.
It’s possbile but you need Obsidian Smile

Now take the RPGs elements of these games and add adventure elements like puzzles to these games adventures. (I know it doesn’t make sense…) It doesn’t exist - they tell stories and involve players in ways that don’t really exist is adventures right now…

In the end I agree that most RPGs have bad stories and I prefer too play 20 average adventure games to an average RPG because the story is almost always better but very good RPGs do stuff with narrative that it’s not done in adventures today.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 08 September 2014 12:54 PM

Now adventure games seemed to be stuck for years in the passive linear point and click narrative (first or third person) and just in recent years tried to deviate from the formula presenting some interesting new ways of storytelling (Heavy Rain, Gone Home for example).

That and skewing towards more commercial/critical hits like TTGs or Gonehome etc.
are making the genre more limited in expression. Good story yes, depth and diversity , hell no.
Thats why i tend to get more excited for games like Ethancarter or Witness. Give
room and make it rich.

wilco - 08 September 2014 04:57 PM

An example of a mostly non-linear RPG with a strong narrative is a favorite of mine : Fallout: New Vegas. Most of the stuff in the world is built the a purpose, a lot of quest are carefully crafted, good dialogues and built system of factions that works. Plus is has that “Old World Blues” expansion that is just wonderful! seriously, I think any adventure gamer would get a kick out of it, even with the combat.
It’s possible but you need Obsidian Smile

Now take the RPGs elements of these games and add adventure elements like puzzles to these games adventures. (I know it doesn’t make sense…) It doesn’t exist - they tell stories and involve players in ways that don’t really exist is adventures right now…

Yeah Obsidian still have it in them , i have yet to play Vegas and Alpha protocol.

Origami - 08 September 2014 11:07 AM

Multiple narratives and such are just possible devices to tell a story.
Just because they have been deployed by the writer doesn’t make the narration de facto better.

Its other way around, not using those devices by AGs is defacto and have made them look
limited and now its AGs commonly accepted practice.

I could have made the thread with Action/adv or Shooters do narrative better and given so many examples from Bioshock to Specops:The Line etc. But i believe even in Action/Adv the mindset of linearity and problem of depth exists.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

This thread made me think, can role of exploration in rpg-s and typical adventure games be compared? In very abstract level, you explore in both for gaining upper hand in gameplay, in form on experience and equipment in one, in form of inventory items and information in other. So choosing what info or inventory items to get would compare roughly to choice what creatures to kill or what quests to take. Trouble is, you can easily give choice by adding places with different level enemies in rpgs and linking quests to these places. Creating game where for most steps in most puzzle chains there is alternative choice sounds humanly impossible or would take centuries to create.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

It has to do with certain games.
As rpgs go I loved Shadowrun Returns which is a narrative diamond imho,with great dialogues.
But then again so is Broken Sword 1 for me.It might not have created the lore of its story from scratch like Shadowrun did(which is a tabletop rpg world setting with lots of lore on its own),but it used like most of the lore on Templars.I remember researching every reference in game to actually find a corresponding wiki page.And i loved the story.Moreover I loved the backstory which was made clearer with the Director’s Cut,telling us what happened before BS1 started and how people like Plantard and Khan were involved,and why Plantard had contacted Nicole.

Skyrim has a ton of material,but if you take the city quests out,the rest are probably either clear that cave,or bring me the sword at the end of that cave or kill that outlaw or kill that dragon etc.Seriously,has 100 caves and most of them are just places to clean up.They add a nice touch when you consider how alive the environment is but do nothing for the story.

Don’t get me wrong I like Skyrim and I still play,but I don’t consider it a narrative masterpiece.

It all depends on the game.Do you have to create a whole new world setting and tons of lore to produce a good game? No….Can you produce a good game with tons of lore? Yes….Can you also produce a bad game with tons of lore? Yes. Same can be said with AGs.

It all comes down to execution.

I like linear stories as well.I’m mostly interested in how well they executed it.If I enjoyed the story or not.Night of the Rabbit was very linear but loved it all the same.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-01-01

PM

You should have started by analyzing games such as Trinity, The Last Express or Azrael’s Tear, not the silly characters/silly story Lucas Arts branch of adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top