• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is your definition of an “Adventure Game”?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

What qualities/characteristics define an adventure game for you and make a game specifically an adventure game?

What is the rubric, the framework, you go by, in defining an adventure game?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Story and puzzles. Gameplay, controls, presentation and graphical style dfeine what style of adventure it is.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 26 August 2014 12:48 AM

Story and puzzles. Gameplay, controls, presentation and graphical style dfeine what style of adventure it is.

Add exploration to that list and I’d agree.  What’s the difference between gameplay and puzzles though?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I include free exploration, limited exploration etc. to be a part of gameplay, not necessarily how you present puzzles. Puzzle solving I consider is part of gameplay though.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Story and puzzles.

Oh, you mean like Lemmings?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 26 August 2014 03:28 AM

Story and puzzles.

I don’t recall Lemmings having a much of a story. And even if it had, it’s not like some adventure games actually are that much more complex.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I define Adventure games as: A story driven game where you progress through the use of logic and intelligence, and through exploration of the game world.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Story and puzzles.

Of course, doesn’t everyone remember the award winning story in that game. *sarcasm alart*

What was the point of your post anyway. To point out that there are exemptions to every definition someone posts or to just troll.

You could have posted you own definition.

Definitions are difficult to nail, too specific and games on the fringes are discounted too vague and everything is included.

Personally I’ve always gone with the official definition http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lucien21 - 26 August 2014 04:37 AM

Story and puzzles.

Of course, doesn’t everyone remember the award winning story in that game. *sarcasm alart*

What was the point of your post anyway. To point out that there are exemptions to every definition someone posts or to just troll.

You could have posted you own definition.

Definitions are difficult to nail, too specific and games on the fringes are discounted too vague and everything is included.

Personally I’ve always gone with the official definition http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547

Check out the intro. More story than a lot of adventures I can think of.

My point was the same as yours - definitions are hard, and “story+puzzles” is not good enough unless you want Mario and Tomb Raider on the site. Almost every game has a story and almost every game has puzzles.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Definitions are always tricky as there will always be exceptions to whatever rule is made. Adventure Games are harder to define than some things because I don’t think there is a general consensus on which games are adventure games, i.e. HOGs? Brothers: A tale of two sons? Portal? Fez? etc.

Personal preference will play a part in anyone’s definition.

I think the nearest I can get to a definition is:

If it looks like an Adventure Game, feels like an AG and plays like an AG, it is an AG.

Not a lot of use really! Pan

In short, I believe that everyone has their own definition of what an Adventure Game is and all of them are wrong. Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played Valiant Hearts for 30 minutes last night. All I did was throw bombs and avoid getting killed. Is it an adventure game? I was disappointed.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Story and puzzles.

Clearly they mean where the story is presented in game as part of actual gameplay. Lemmings is emphatically a puzzle game.

Story and Puzzles. Puzzles that drive story*. Story that drives puzzles. A story without puzzles is a visual novel. Puzzles without story, is a puzzle game.

*which does cover games like Professor Layton NOT being an adventure game. Dispute having compelling stories. The puzzles don’t really drive the narrative. They’re just kind of… there.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll stick to the site’s definition.

Adventure games focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework, generally with few or no action elements. Other popular names for this genre are “graphic adventure” or “point-and-click adventure”, but these represent only part of a much broader, diverse range of games.

I consider the genre to be broad, and I’ll include a lot of “fringe” games. I consider most puzzle games and visual novels to be adventure games.
Almost all of the “is it an adventure?” threads on the forum have me going “yes”. Even those the site doesn’t review but makes features of (like The Stanley Parable).

Adventure games are more than just point-and-click games. I embrace almost all the games that push the boundaries of the genre.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Some eccentric story telling,idiosyncratic graphics,variety of puzzles,high interaction level with surroundings and npcs and different path choices defines what should be a fine
example of ag for me.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Exploration and NPCs conversations.
The % of action, shooting, platfroming etc. pushes it into other genres.

Just story and puzzles is not my definition, i don’t consider all those puzzle games
on DS and object hunting games on PC as best representation of AG.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

‘Sit back and relax, no one will harm you’.
that is about it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top