• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 30 August 2014 08:23 AM

While standing just outside the victim’s room, a long, gloved hand reached out suddenly. Nothing seemed to happen as a result. Still, it was strange.

That’s the jump scare I mentioned in a previous post. The one that almost startled me. Tongue

Becky - 30 August 2014 09:24 AM

If these are vivid dream or memory sequences, what is happening to Angelica back in Chicago as she inhabits/processes these long sequences? Is she just standing alone on the sidewalk in a trance?

My guess is that hours in the vision take mere seconds in Chicago. Inception!

Iznogood - 30 August 2014 11:17 AM

It kind of reminds me of the movie eXistenZ.

Great movie! Cool
Also, maybe we can get a vision within a vision within a vision next. Inception! Tongue

Though I must admit that this scene felt a bit weird:

The weird thing is that during your first encounter with him, you show him that document and he responds to you, while he doesn’t acknowledge your presence in this scene…

Also, the reason why I think this guy is being used as a fall guy is that he didn’t respond like he recognized that document earlier - despite that it was supposed to have been HIS document.

I half expected that she would pull out his spleen or something.

You’ve played too much Mortal Kombat. Wink

Regarding the story It looks like the modern day victims are all descendent of the victims in 19 century London. Not a big surprise as there has to be some reason for why the modern killer chose exactly those victims, and since Angelica seems to believe that solving the old murders will lead her to the modern killer, then it adds to my suspicion that the modern killer is a descendant of Jack the Ripper.

Interesting theory but I don’t think they’re descendants. I’m more inclined to think that they were chosen merely because of the name without there being any relation.

I said earlier that I thought we were just dealing with [spoiler]a copycat, but the title of the game ‘Catch Me When You Can’ seems to imply a time traveler. Maybe my initial thought of “Jack the Ripper is a time traveler” still stands?[/spoiler]

rtrooney - 30 August 2014 11:20 AM

I should have congratulated everyone who arrived at the coin puzzle. I think finding the solution to the combination lock is a rather devious little puzzle in itself. Deciphering and combining information from four different locations into a sequence that yields the correct combination requires, I thought, some seriousoly logical thinking.

I found that one completely intuitive. After seeing the second symbol, I knew they were going to be important so I made sure to memorize them. The instant I saw the lock, I just knew what the combination would be… It’s a puzzle done well, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I liked the locked desks puzzle.  Made several errors at the beginning to see how it ran and then was able to move the rows and columns correctly to achieve the goal.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I also liked the locked desks puzzle although it took me a long time to find the second eraser (the one right where it should be-on the blackboard).

And I find it contradictory that Mann can see Angelica at the shcool and not when she is gathering evidence.

One thing that somewhat irritated me and surprised me is that I cannot find a mention of the date of Martha Tabrum’s death anywhere in the journal although I am sure the death was mentioned earlier in the game.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 30 August 2014 02:18 PM

One thing that somewhat irritated me and surprised me is that I cannot find a mention of the date of Martha Tabrum’s death anywhere in the journal although I am sure the death was mentioned earlier in the game.

You will get a more complete timeline of the London murders in the next segment.

TimovieMan - 30 August 2014 01:38 PM

It’s a puzzle done well, imo.

I thought it was very well done as well. It has three major components. One, you have to find the four shapes. Two you have to understand what the shapes signify. And three, you have to realize what the position on the steps signify. I’ve seen more than a few AG puzzles that weren’t as well-constructed as this was.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished this section.  It took me quite a while to find the prybar substitute and the food, but then everything fell into place.  This section also shows that Angela can view things back and forth in time.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Just telling I’m not dropping out even though Saturday is already ending around here Wink
Mu hubby thing had his free days from work se we spent them playing and watching movies together, but tomorrow he’ll be working again so I have pretty much the whole day to play the second and the third section of the game, yay. Getting back to all the comments then, not spoiling myself now.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

colpet - 30 August 2014 10:22 AM
Becky - 30 August 2014 09:24 AM

If these are vivid dream or memory sequences, what is happening to Angelica back in Chicago as she inhabits/processes these long sequences? Is she just standing alone on the sidewalk in a trance?

Pretty much. I’ll use the excuse that time can pass in a flash with a daydream.I guess I was just trying to make more out of the dream catcher theme than there is.

I was wondering (I like speculating)—since these long sequences in the past were initiated by a serial killer who is “playing games,” might they be a cover for something happening in Chicago at the same time? What is the killer up to while they occur? Setting up more deadly games? Since the dreamcatcher in the sky is the same color as the one Angelica wears, I’ve been assuming that it is related to her in a positive way. What if it’s symbolic of a trap—an attempt to catch the dreamer?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am of the opinion that it is Angelica who is the time traveler, and not the unknown person from London.

I’m also going to say that my original concept was for three days/segment. I did it because it would give everybody an opportunity to play the one hour segment. After all, some could play on Monday, two or three might play Tuesday and the remainder would finish on Wednesday.

It appears that everyone is playing at the first opportunity, and are anxiously awaiting the release of the next segment. So, let’s go for it!

You are at the gate. Solve the gate and play until you get the train started.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 30 August 2014 10:11 PM

It appears that everyone is playing at the first opportunity, and are anxiously awaiting the release of the next segment. So, let’s go for it!

I don’t know about the others, but precisely because it’s played in shorter segments (less than one hour) I have more opportunities to play. I don’t like to play ‘regular’ adventure games (and longer sections) if I have less than two hours to invest in them, so this playthrough works out nicely.. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played until I got inside the school, thought that was the marker, but looking back now it was already at the coin puzzle. We had permission to move forward though so all is well. Will be continuing this section on time now.

I made the connection to Jack the Ripper quite fast too. I wasn’t 100% sure about the names, though Pizer and Chapman seemed really familiar.

I didn’t know the footprint puzzle was infamous, I got the achievement for solving it without a missclick. It was a long puzzle though and I kinda dislike how the game will start pushing you to skip it before you could have finished in the first place. But I guess it is better for the people that really do want to skip it. And I could have picked the expert difficulty too, so not really complaining.

What I do want to complain about is the one badge I missed. I noticed it when entering the shoe store but I accidentally clicked myself inside and never got back to the close up screen when the badge was visible. I really dislike when games have these kinds of close up screens you can only visit once and then they’re gone. Minor issue though, as I am enjoying the game overall very much.

The puzzles are mostly quite fun, on the easier side of course but still nice. And the HOGs haven’t bothered me as they are rare and already the two of them were a bit different from each other. I think the stacking puzzle was a bit silly, you could probably stack them however you want and it would reach, and not being able to rotate the items was a bit of pain. Could have been a lot more fun puzzle with better implementation.

The story is still very interesting and there is a nice atmosphere. And the game looks and sounds good. This is definitely one the best casual games I’ve played.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 30 August 2014 02:32 PM

I thought it was very well done as well. It has three major components. One, you have to find the four shapes. Two you have to understand what the shapes signify. And three, you have to realize what the position on the steps signify. I’ve seen more than a few AG puzzles that weren’t as well-constructed as this was.

The tricky part is making the connection between the lock and the carvings we find in the first case, at least that was what gave me the trouble. It was only after I flipped through the journal looking for clues for the lock combination and I saw a picture of one of the shapes, that I realised they were connected. But once you do realise this there are plenty of clues as to how they should be used, eg. the roman numerals 1 to 4 are carved below the lock, and the exact same numerals are carved on the steps where we find the first shape.

Interesting theory but I don’t think they’re descendants. I’m more inclined to think that they were chosen merely because of the name without there being any relation.

That is also possible, but it would explain why the modern Chapman victim is male even though the original Chapman victim was female. I don’t know how common a name Chapman is but I would imagine that there are several in Chicago, if the killer was searching for descendants or at least relatives, then it would greatly reduce the number of potential victims forcing him to chose a male victim instead.

The weird thing is that during your first encounter with him, you show him that document and he responds to you, while he doesn’t acknowledge your presence in this scene…

furgotten - 30 August 2014 02:18 PM

And I find it contradictory that Mann can see Angelica at the shcool and not when she is gathering evidence.

At first talking to Mann at all felt a bit weird to me, but after thinking about it it made perfect sense that if Angelica can interact with objects in her vision, then she should also be able to talk to any persons that appear in her vision. The whole second encounter is of course the weird and somewhat contradictory thing.

Inception! ... Inception! Tongue

Yeah that was also a good movie though not quite as good as eXistenZ. Are there any more examples from movies? I can only think of those two.

Becky - 30 August 2014 08:23 AM

While standing just outside the victim’s room, a long, gloved hand reached out suddenly. Nothing seemed to happen as a result. Still, it was strange.

There was actually something similar earlier in the game, when searching the shoe shop there is suddenly a man outside looking in through the window observing what Angelica is doing. These two events are most likely related, though I’m not quite sure what it means.

Becky - 30 August 2014 07:47 PM

Since the dreamcatcher in the sky is the same color as the one Angelica wears, I’ve been assuming that it is related to her in a positive way. What if it’s symbolic of a trap—an attempt to catch the dreamer?

I haven’t though of it that way, but I guess that it is possible, that it could be a trap, and perhaps the “gloved hand” and “the man in the window” could be the killer observing and trying to trap Angelica?

rtrooney - 30 August 2014 10:11 PM

I’m also going to say that my original concept was for three days/segment….It appears that everyone is playing at the first opportunity, and are anxiously awaiting the release of the next segment. So, let’s go for it!

Actually I wouldn’t mind if you stayed with your original plan, or at least give us 48 hours for each segment. I’m keeping up, but only because I played 2x2 segments instead of 4x1 segment, and it would also be nice to have a bit more time to discuss things. But it is of course your call.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 31 August 2014 09:46 AM

That is also possible, but it would explain why the modern Chapman victim is male even though the original Chapman victim was female. I don’t know how common a name Chapman is but I would imagine that there are several in Chicago, if the killer was searching for descendants or at least relatives, then it would greatly reduce the number of potential victims forcing him to chose a male victim instead.

It would be a huge coincidence if all the London victims had descendants in present-day that were all living in the Chicago area, and that all those descendants had managed to have the same last names as well. Children tend to get the father’s last name, so the female London victims wouldn’t realistically even have any descendants with their last name…

Just finished the next section. It’s by far the longest yet - took me an hour and fifteen minutes to complete, so I’m at three hours and a half so far.

Fun section. I liked the puzzles in the car compound, and hunting down the 30 pieces of fabric was surprisingly fun as well (although I have to admit that I was happy not to have missed one - could’ve lead to a lot of frantic running around)...

The great thing so far is the amount of variation the game holds, even among the HOGs. Looking for the 3 pieces of fabric is essentially a HOG spread over twenty locations, finding pairs is another variant (and I quite enjoyed playing Mahjong with car keys).

I get that we can use our cell phone to take pictures in this section, but it’s odd that we don’t use it as a flashlight any more. The one instance where that would’ve come handy, we pick another light source. I thought that was odd (especially since I was already looking through the inventory for the cell phone)...

Plotwise, the time travel aspect (and whether or not it’s a vision or real) is taking a turn for the bizarre: if it’s all just a vision, then how did we suddenly end up in another part of Chicago, and how did our car travel with us (since we last left it at Andrew Chapman’s house)?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There is one puzzle in the current segment that, for me, represents the type of puzzle I hate most. (Other than mazes, of course.)

That is the crane puzzle

I’ve commented on this many times in the Casual Games thread. It’s a puzzle where you know exactly what you need to do. No other inventory items are required. But the “process” of solving the puzzle is so tedious that the SKIP button is just begging to be hit.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t mind puzzles like that. While they may not be the most fun, they’re decent time-wasters, and given that I like puzzles in general, I like solving these as well.

Pressing the ‘skip’-button is not something I’d ever consider doing unless I was *really* stuck. And even then I prefer to persevere…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 31 August 2014 11:54 AM

It would be a huge coincidence if all the London victims had descendants in present-day that were all living in the Chicago area, and that all those descendants had managed to have the same last names as well. Children tend to get the father’s last name, so the female London victims wouldn’t realistically even have any descendants with their last name…

A quick calculation/estimate shows that on average each person living in London at that time, would now have about 750 descendent on average. (if my calculation is correct, which I can’t guarantee) Given the high amount of Americans that have some kind of English descent than I would estimate that on average 250 of those live in the USA. Given the amount of people in the USA and Chicago, then it would mean that there is now on average 2 descendants of each 1888 Londoner currently living in Chicago and about 7 if we include the Chicago metropolitan area.

Now as you pointed out, not all of those will have the same family name, but if we include relatives that are not direct descendants of the killed women but descendants of the same family, and take into account that the same last name can be inherited from a different family with the same name, then I would say that it is not a huge coincidence but statically possible.

I also just checked up on the Victims, and Annie Chapman had three children all with the Chapman family name, I have however forgotten the name of the other victim so I don’t know if she also had children.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top