• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 27 August 2014 12:08 PM

We have until Saturday, August 30 to finish the segment. The segment is finished when you have managed to enter the boarding house.

Pan
Frown
TimovieMan

I was so engrossed in the game, that I’ve already completed the boarding house section…

It’s only when the location changed that I stopped. I totally thought that was my cue to end the segment… until I reread this page…

The entire thing took me about 40 minutes, so that makes about an hour and fifteen minutes total so far.

rtrooney - 27 August 2014 06:56 PM

We’re about halfway through the game.

Really? But the plot is just thickening (because I’m slightly ahead and know the victim’s identity)... Frown

rtrooney - 27 August 2014 06:56 PM

For one thing, if the body by the brick puzzle is real, where did it go? After all, when you return to Chicago later in the game it’s gone. I don’t really buy the coroner’s office picking it up and taking it to the morgue. Chicago is not that efficient! I should know!  Naughty

I never thought it was real, just another vision. We are playing a psychic character, after all…

I also think the person in the opening scene is the female Chapman. She is the one who gets killed in the opening sequence and who’s ghost is seen at the brick wall. The only thing we know about Andrew Chapman is that he is dead.

I think the first part of the vision is Andrew Chapman, and the second part (in 19th century London) is the female victim…

The footprint puzzle was not that hard, imo. The pattern becomes obvious once you notice the average distance between steps. Still made two misclicks, though. That’s another achievement out the window… Frown

Actually, half the achievements are out the window already for me. I failed to try the stacking puzzle with fewer items (despite having an idea on how to do it), I’ve failed an achievement for a HOG I wasn’t supposed to solve already, and I don’t think I’ll ever manage to complete a HOG in under one minute (and it’s highly likely that I’ll miss one or two dreamweavers and police shields as well). Meh
The completionist player in me weeps. Cry

Anyway, game is pretty solid so far. There’s variety in the puzzles, and the atmosphere is really good. The jump scare in the boarding house almost startled me, and managed to add a feeling of danger to the game (even though there isn’t any actual danger)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve slightly overshot & got half-way through the boarding house part before I realised!

19th century London is pleasingly portrayed but I missed the point of moving the horse & cart horse forward?
I managed to complete the footprint puzzle eventually after a lot of wrong clicks although the spacing between footprints was helpful! It was a puzzle I would have been tempted to skip along with the stacking one it if I hadn’t been in this playthrough!

TimovieMan - 27 August 2014 06:16 PM

London in 1888 might suggest Jack the Ripper.

I’m reading the theories with interest but not sure what I think at the moment except that that the story must definitely be connected to Jack the Ripper as the boot/shoe-maker John Pizer is one of the actual suspects for the real life Jack the Ripper murders.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have managed to finish the first two segments now, so let me add some thoughts on the game so far.

I quite like the whole atmosphere and the graphics of the game, especially the whole time travelling thing works well, and it also seems to have some good variety in the puzzles.

The way the door slammed open to the shoe shop like hit by some kind of force instead of simply being opened was also a nice touch, and it has led me to believe that Angelica is not physical back in 19th century London, but is instead sort of exploring and interacting with a psychic vision of the past, or perhaps only back in the past in some kind of spiritual or ghostlike form, whether or not this is actually the case or if it is only me over-interpretating this is of coursed an open question, but one I hope will be answered later in the game.

One thing that did surprise me quite a bit and which I find hard to adjust to, is the speed of which the game advances. For example as Timovieman mentioned, the second she sees the loom she immediately concludes that it is personal and a reference to her name, but no one can possibly conclude that based on so little, there could have been any number of reasons for the loom to be in the garage, and she really can’t make that conclusion before finding the note. But I guess these kinds of leaps are necessary if you want to tell a story in a more condensed form than normal in AG. 

One of the things I had feared and which have stopped me playing casuals in the past is these kind of HOG’s:

But fortunately I didn’t find them too difficult, though both did took me quite some time, I do however hope that they don’t get much more difficult than this.

I didn’t really have any problems with the

rtrooney - 27 August 2014 12:08 PM

The infamous Footprint Puzzle! I’ve never been able to complete it. I don’t think Becky has either.

Yes it did reset a couple of times when clicking on the wrong place, but the length of her steps and extrapolating the direction she was going in all helped. if it had only been a case of “find the right footprint amount umpteen others” then it would have been much more difficult.

I did use the hint button twice, the first time I actually hit it by mistake, but it did point me to the last brick under the sewer grate, which I had completely missed, so I would probably have ended up using the hint anyway. The second time was a bit more annoying as I knew what I had to do (get to the footprint puzzle) but the directional arrow was almost completely hidden by the interface, and there was only about a centimetre wide area at the bottom where I could place the cursor to get the arrow .

Otherwise I haven’t really had any problems with the puzzles, I immediately noticed the big flashlight icon on the phone when I picked it up, the brick puzzle was easier than I first thought when I saw it, and the stacking was actually somewhat funny, though it was a bit annoying that I couldn’t freely rotate the items.

Regarding any theories for what is going on, then it all happened so fast that it was hard to keep up, so I think I better watch the opening again and perhaps read through the diary, before I make any more comments.

P.s. 3 achievements so far: Master Mason, Foot in the Door and Shoe Seller of the Month

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 28 August 2014 07:12 AM

I missed the point of moving the horse & cart horse forward?

It’s to reveal the bench behind it - the one you use to stack your way up to the second floor.

I’m reading the theories with interest but not sure what I think at the moment except that that the story must definitely be connected to Jack the Ripper as the boot/shoe-maker John Pizer is one of the actual suspects for the real life Jack the Ripper murders.

Interesting! I didn’t know that. I just went off London and specifically 1888. I just assumed that name was fictional…

Iznogood - 28 August 2014 08:36 AM

But fortunately I didn’t find them too difficult, though both did took me quite some time, I do however hope that they don’t get much more difficult than this.

You could always go “sod the list” and click on every object on the screen. There’s no penalty for misclicks (except in the HOG in the boarding house that could cost you an achievement), so you can happily click away if you can’t be arsed to actually search.
Plus I reckon that that’s the only way to get the “solve a HOG in under a minute” achievement. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I also had no problems with the infamous Footprint Puzzle this time. Either the intense group energy generated by this playthrough has boosted my searching skills, or the puzzle has been modified since the early days when I first played it.

Any theories as to what the giant Dreamcatcher in the sky represents?

If 19th Century London in the game is a dream or a psychic vision or a ghostly memory, why does the 10 plate acquired back in Chicago fit on the shelf in London? If—at some later point in the game—an object acquired in London works back in Chicago, would that invalidate these theories?   Naughty

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Seeing as everyone has finished the first two segments, or more, why don’t we proceed to the end of the next segment.

You’ll know when your there when you see the coin puzzle

Don’t solve the puzzle. But you’re allowed to stare at it for awhile.

The objective is to make it here by Saturday.

Please try to keep us up to date regarding your progress. I’ve not heard from Crabapple or Karlock recently.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Okay here is my grand unified theory about everything… (dramatic pause) ... (extended dramatic pause) ... that is going on in the game. (Spoilers in case I’m right, which I’m convinced I am)

[spoiler]As I speculated earlier there is no actual time-travel going on. Instead Angelica has the ability to see the past in a form of psychic visions, kind of like Erica Reed in Cognition, except her visions are stronger and allows her to walk around in them and interact with them as if she actually was in 19 century London, but physical she is still in 21 Century Chicago.[/spoiler]

There is actually two different killers at large in this game, one in 19 century London perhaps or probably Jack The Ripper (though referred to in the game so far as “the East End Slasher”), and a modern day killer. This modern killer has am ability similar to Angelica’s, and has somehow established a psychic connection with Jack the Ripper, seeing the murders of the past as like he was committing them himself, and is now recreating the exact same murder(s) himself.

He also has the ability to draw others into these visions of his. When we saw the victim Chapman, being chased by someone in the intro and then suddenly be in old London, what actually happened was that was dragged into a vision of the old crime, and saw what the women that was murdered over a hundred years ago saw, instead of what was actually happening to himself here and now.

It is also possible that what Angelica is experiencing in her vision of old London, is actually things that were done by a real person in 19 century London! That there is a kind of double duality going on here, and that just like the Killer has a psychic connection with jack the Ripper, then Angelica also has a similar connection with someone in old London, perhaps another psychic detective.

It is even possible that the modern killer is a descendant of Jack the Ripper AND that Angelica is a descendant of the old time psychic detective. If they have the same last name ‘Weaver’, then it would even explain why this is also a personal matter for the killer and why her turns it into a game with Angelica.

My evidence for this theory, apart from the way the door to the shoe shop slammed open is that [spoiler]Angelica herself refers to it as a vision in her journal, the exact words being: “I am visualizing the victim’s world in London from 1888…”. The other Weaver in old London is more of a loose hypothesis, but it does seem to fit with everything.[/spoiler]

Becky - 28 August 2014 02:48 PM

If 19th Century London in the game is a dream or a psychic vision or a ghostly memory, why does the 10 plate acquired back in Chicago fit on the shelf in London?

The old Weaver whose vision Angelica is seeing could have found them earlier, and the killer knowing this has simply arranged for Angelica to find the same plates, or in case there are no old Weaver and it is actually Angelica doing this in her vision, then it is simply a vision version of the plates.

If—at some later point in the game—an object acquired in London works back in Chicago, would that invalidate these theories?   Naughty

That is cheating, you are talking about events that haven’t happened yet NaughtyPan
It could be explained in many different ways, but the devil is in the details, and without knowing the details there is no way I can pick the right explanation now.
But I will get back to it when and IF it actually happens.

BTW am I the only one that found it a bit odd that Angelica had to gain access to the house, when the police and forensic team had already been there before. I know that the killer returned after the forensic team left, but still…

Ohh… And what giant Dreamcatcher in the sky?
Did I overlook something?

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Well, Iznogood, that does seem to cover most of the problems so far! Despite that, I am not entirely convinced…yet. I have a hard time thinking of the plate as just a vision and not a real item. At that point she really did not have any reason to see something like that.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

To Iz -

Following in spoiler format. Although there is nothing spoiler-ish revealed, it will keep your theory a temporary secret.  Smile

The only problem I have with the “vision” theory v. a physical time/space travel theory is that physical objects travel with Angelica as she transports from Chicago to London. Now I will give the benefit of the doubt regarding your theory of the 10 Bells plate, (although I don’t believe it.) But a can of aerosol spray paint???? It’s hard to “vision” an object to an era where/when the object didn’t previously exist. Or even expecting that someone on the other end of the vision would know how to use it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Izno—I like your theories.

Giant Dreamcatcher in the Sky—see purplish thing with a black hole(?) in the center

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I did not notice the Dreamcatcher in the sky. Nice catch, Becky. And, as I’m more a listener then a talker, I’m enjoying what everyone is talking about the game. And Iznogood is in the right track, I guess.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 28 August 2014 06:56 PM

The only problem I have with the “vision” theory v. a physical time/space travel theory is that physical objects travel with Angelica as she transports from Chicago to London. Now I will give the benefit of the doubt regarding your theory of the 10 Bells plate, (although I don’t believe it.) But a can of aerosol spray paint???? It’s hard to “vision” an object to an era where/when the object didn’t previously exist. Or even expecting that someone on the other end of the vision would know how to use it.

Eh… I forgot about the spray paint.
That does seem to invalidate the whole “another Weaver in 19 century London” part, but I wasn’t too sure about that part anyway, so I will happily abandon that hypothesis. It does however make perfect sense that whatever objects Angelica is carrying will also follow her into and can be used in the Vision World. Game logic perhaps, but no more than items disappearing from the inventory when they have served their purpose.

Any theories as to what the giant Dreamcatcher in the sky represents?

Now that I know there is such a a thing, I think it confirms my theory of 19 century London being a vision and not the real thing, that it is placed there to emphasize that it is “only” a vision.

(Dropped the spoiler tags, as there is probably no real spoilers here)

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Iznogood - 29 August 2014 10:03 AM

Now that I know there is such a a thing, I think it confirms my theory of 19 century London being a vision and not the real thing, that it is placed there to emphasize that it is “only” a vision.

I think that is the best argument for the vision theory yet.

I am really enjoying this!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like it that the hidden object scenes are rationed, and that many of the items picked up are further clues.  I couldn’t stop myself from moving ahead a bit, but I’ll reserve my comments on the new section for now.  I will say that I like the atmosphere of the game and Angela’s voice.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just need to do a head count to see how many have arrived at the coin puzzle before we move on. The next three sections will (I think) be quite a bit longer than those we’ve played to-date. The “deadline” for arriving at the coin puzzle is tomorrow, my time. So if I don’t hear from everybody I hold off posting the next objective until tomorrow night.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top