• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 26 August 2014 07:01 PM

I agree that Angelica’s use of “they” as a singular pronoun is perfectly fine in this usage. This blog entry has some interesting historical context and also some information on the current status:  http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/01/they-2.html

I have a more topical question. Is the second body a real body or the ghost of a body?

I like your link. English grammar, as I was taught it, came in the form of books colored green, grey, blue and red depending on the grade school level.

Spoiler or not, I think this was more a proofreading error by someone who knew more than “they” were supposed to know.

As for your second question I think it is a ghost body that only Angelica can see. We will see more of this as the game progresses. There are some revelations in the CE, or so I’ve been told by Becky. As for the SE version, either Angelica has some extraordinary powers, or this is a Sixth Sense sort of thing. Within the SE version of the game the question isn’t answered.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When are we moving on to the next section?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 26 August 2014 06:35 PM

On the 1st, it’s not a grammatical error as although ‘they’ is a ‘plural’ word it’s also acceptable in the context of the sentence to use it to refer to one undefined person - Becky is right!

Still *feels* wrong, so I’d never use it myself.

On the 2nd, Angelica makes a comment about things being personal when she enters the workshop & sees the loom I’m sure! Laughing

I recall her saying it was personal even before that moment (I think it was in the kitchen but can’t be sure), but even without that, it’s relatively farfetched to immediately link a loom found in a garage to her own last name and a personal game by the killer she’s hunting.

But this is really all nitpicky. Minor quibbles. Smile

rtrooney - 26 August 2014 08:38 PM

There are some revelations in the CE, or so I’ve been told by Becky. ... Within the SE version of the game the question isn’t answered.

I sincerely hope the people that are playing the CE will fill us in on the differences between both versions afterwards. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 27 August 2014 06:40 AM

On the 1st, it’s not a grammatical error as although ‘they’ is a ‘plural’ word it’s also acceptable in the context of the sentence to use it to refer to one undefined person - Becky is right!

I use it all the time, so it doesn’t feel wrong to me. Smile Of course that’s easy to say for a non-native. But several native speakers told me years ago that it was okay in informal English. Language is a living entity and we should admire the versatility of the English language. Seriously. Isn’t it great that existing words in the *closed* lexical category of pronouns can evolve and create a new pronoun like themself.

Someone who finishes Syberia without a walkthrough should be proud of themself.

I think I should start ducking and running…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I had the exact same difficulties as other people. Figuring out using the cellphone as light source and missing the silly brick in the trash can like 5 times.

I accidentally used one hint in the beginning being an idiot. “What happens from this glowy thing?” Sheesh. There goes my achievement Tongue. At least I got the brick sudoku one.

Like chrissie I think the whole personal agenda toward Angelica is revealed before the brick puzzle. At least in the garage with the loom. Why on earth there would be a weaving tool there if not to point directly towards Angelica Weaver? Even in the remote case that the victim actually already had it, the puzzle gives it deeper meaning. I think before the garage she says that the killer is toying with police/her, with the TV and the washing machine and things like that, which is a form of being personal but I don’t think she accused the killer being directly after her at that point yet.

And I didn’t mind the use of ‘they’. I’m not a native speaker but to me it has also just seemed like a way around the gender. In our tongue we don’t have he or she anyway so it’s easier, no need to mix up plurals there.

I like the graphics and I think Angelica makes quite a lot of notions and remarks. I am entertained and the murder case(s) has piqued my interest.

Still using spoilertags here just because I’m used to them Smile.

I have the CE edition but I’m not really sure how I would notice myself what’s supposed to be “the extra”.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m curious to know how you would refer to a person who’s a hermaphrodite where using he or she wouldn’t be appropriate & using ‘it’ would be rude?  Naughty

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The fact that you can’t refer to a person without knowing the sex of that person, has always struck me as being one of the oddities of the English language, so the use of ‘they’ in this context is actually an improvement as I see it. Though I didn’t know it was actually acceptable before I read about it here, who would have know that you actually learned something by participating in a casual playthrough?

chrissie - 27 August 2014 08:08 AM

I’m curious to know how you would refer to a person who’s a hermaphrodite where using he or she wouldn’t be appropriate & using ‘it’ would be rude?  Naughty

Hermaphrodites are always (usually?) brought up as either a girl or a boy and think of themselves as either a he or a she, so using either ‘he’ or ‘she’ would always be the most appropriate form, in fact using anything but ‘he’ or ‘she’ would be considered rude.

Regarding the game, then I haven’t actually gotten around to playing it yet, but I hope to play the first part this evening. (The world championship in Badminton with 10-12 hours transmission each day, has seriously reduced my playing time)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 August 2014 12:42 AM

When are we moving on to the next section?

We were going to finish the first segment by Wednesday. And while it isn’t midnight Wednesday here, it’s already Thursday for some players. So we might as well get the second segment started.

We have until Saturday, August 30 to finish the segment. The segment is finished when you have managed to enter the boarding house.

Hint: It’s a balancing act

This segment also includes one of the hardest/most annoying puzzles in the game.

The infamous Footprint Puzzle! I’ve never been able to complete it. I don’t think Becky has either.

Have fun.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played through the first segment yet again today. I’ve started to take notes on what Angelica says because the info goes by so quickly.

The vision she refers to is pretty clearly the opening sequence – she is seeing what the victim (I’m assuming, Andrew Chapman) saw, starting in the present and then going into the past. He seems to have been shifted into the past and killed there/then, and his body was returned to the present to the spot where we see the outline on the sidewalk. At least, that’s my current theory.  I have a lot of questions as to what’s really going on, even though I played the entire CE game several months ago. I’m enjoyed the feeling of mystification.

The actual mechanism that allows the time travel to happen is anybody’s guess at this point.

I think the body that shows up after the brick puzzle is a real, corporeal body. A ghost or spirit then rises out of it, and the body disappears (back into the past?), and the ghost latches onto Angelica and either (A) shifts Angelica into the past or (B) brings Angelica into memories of the past that are so vivid that they appear to be real. From my previous playthrough months ago, I have a theory as to which of these two options it is, but I’m trying to keep an open mind in case I misinterpreted something. This woman/ghost seems to have been killed in the past by the same (black-gloved) killer who murdered Chapman in the past, or by someone else using an identical procedure.

The killer planted an urn, Chapman’s boot, and a plate in Chapman’s apartment. The purpose seems to be to taunt Angelica with these items, though I suppose it is technically possible that the items have something to do with triggering the time travel aspect.

Hey, nice screenshot of the infamous Footprint Puzzle! I am determined to solve it this time! Of course, I was also determined to solve the Goat challenge in Broken Sword 1. Guess who won, me or the goat?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I had some time at lunch, so I did the next segment. It took about half an hour. The worst part was not noticing the directional arrow that led to the horse and buggy. I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do to the boarding house facade before I tried the back arrow that took me to number 10. The foot print puzzle had a few missteps, but once I saw the pattern of the shape and distance traveled, it moved along quickly. The stacking puzzle was a little fussy in term of waiting until the objects were turned around. The end came rather suddenly and I don’t think I used the ladder.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I sincerely hope the people that are playing the CE will fill us in on the differences between both versions afterwards. Innocent

The SE and CE versions are identical up to the end of the SE version. The CE version offers bonus material such as a bonus chapter that “sometimes” adds understanding to the game you just played. I’ve found this to be the case about 10% of the time. Which is why I rarely purchase a CE version. Why spend twice the money on something that delivers marginal value 90% of the time.

I would definitely be interested in what information was delivered in the CE. Perhaps a “bonus narrative” once the playthrough is complete.

Edit: For some reason, undoubtedly user error, I didn’t see the “afterwards” in your original post. Sorry for the duplication.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m really enjoying the atmosphere as well as the mystery as to what is happening.

I think you are right, Becky, that it is Andrew Chapman in the opening cinematic. This means that the perp can travel in time and carry objects and people with him. It also makes sense that the second body is real and comes complete with a ghost.

This leaves me with two questions. Is Angelica’s ability to travel in time given by the killer or potentiated by him, or is it her own? And second, does the killer know that the second victim’s ghost would carry Angelica to the past?

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished the 2nd part.  The footprint puzzle was a little fussy but not bad.  At least a misstep only deleted one section, not the whole thing.  Having done some stacking puzzles before that were too touchy, I like the way they got the balance right with this one.  I used all the items without knocking anything over.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 27 August 2014 07:58 AM

I accidentally used one hint in the beginning being an idiot. “What happens from this glowy thing?” Sheesh. There goes my achievement Tongue.

Hehe, had that happen as well. Restarted because of it. Tongue
But I had planned on restarting anyway, just to watch the opening movie again…

Becky - 27 August 2014 01:27 PM

The vision she refers to is pretty clearly the opening sequence – she is seeing what the victim (I’m assuming, Andrew Chapman) saw, starting in the present and then going into the past. He seems to have been shifted into the past and killed there/then, and his body was returned to the present to the spot where we see the outline on the sidewalk. At least, that’s my current theory.  I have a lot of questions as to what’s really going on, even though I played the entire CE game several months ago. I’m enjoyed the feeling of mystification.

The actual mechanism that allows the time travel to happen is anybody’s guess at this point.

I think the body that shows up after the brick puzzle is a real, corporeal body. A ghost or spirit then rises out of it, and the body disappears (back into the past?), and the ghost latches onto Angelica and either (A) shifts Angelica into the past or (B) brings Angelica into memories of the past that are so vivid that they appear to be real. From my previous playthrough months ago, I have a theory as to which of these two options it is, but I’m trying to keep an open mind in case I misinterpreted something. This woman/ghost seems to have been killed in the past by the same (black-gloved) killer who murdered Chapman in the past, or by someone else using an identical procedure.

My theory is that the shift into the past is actually also a shift to another victim - Chapman was killed in present day, but in the exact same manner as another victim in the London of over a century ago. I think that the London victim is the ghostly appearance we saw at the end of the first section.
In fact, I might even go so far as already identifying the killer: London in 1888 might suggest Jack the Ripper. My guess is Mr. Ripper is a time traveler and he’s repeating his London crimes in present day.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 27 August 2014 01:27 PM

Hey, nice screenshot of the infamous Footprint Puzzle! I am determined to solve it this time! Of course, I was also determined to solve the Goat challenge in Broken Sword 1. Guess who won, me or the goat?

Thanks. I finally got everything to work the way it is supposed to. Wink

It’s interesting to see how other players are interpreting Angelica, the “perp” and other aspects of the space/time travel situation. We discussed this when the game first came out. (I think this game was my vote for game of the year when it was published.) And we seriously disagreed on almost everything.  Smile For one thing, if the body by the brick puzzle is real, where did it go? After all, when you return to Chicago later in the game it’s gone. I don’t really buy the coroner’s office picking it up and taking it to the morgue. Chicago is not that efficient! I should know!  Naughty

I also think the person in the opening scene is the female Chapman. She is the one who gets killed in the opening sequence and who’s ghost is seen at the brick wall. The only thing we know about Andrew Chapman is that he is dead.

We’re about halfway through the game. I love the conversation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top