• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The most beautiful 2D third person adventure game?

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

So what is the adventure game with the most beautiful graphics?

It needs to be in third person perspective and have both 2D hand drawn characters and backgrounds (Curse of Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry 7 come to mind).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Curse of Monkey Island.

It’s my absolute favourite AG not just because it’s one of the funniest I’ve ever played, but also because it’s absolutely gorgeous to look at.

In second place I’d put The Dig (although to be honest, the music trumps everything else in that game).
There’s a reason I hold Bill Tiller in such high esteem. Wink

If you take out the 3D characters, the backgrounds in Grim Fandango, Gray Matter and Lost Horizon are beautiful as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Your rules, but I’d vote for allowing 3D characters. (Pendulo games, Lost Horizon, newer Daedalic or Bill Tiller titles come to mind.)
Else I’d probably go with the Dig, if it’s allowed to ignore its few 3D elements.
Followed by Hand of Fate and MI2.
I think CoMI is beautiful as well, but in direct comparison to Bills newer works, where he probably did every scene and had more control, some scenes don’t hold up that well and I don’t like the character design.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The Dig would be my choice from the Lucasarts titles as well.

For Sierra, I’d have to go with King’s Quest V.  None of the other games managed to capture the beauty and wonder of those environments for me.  Andy Hoyos is right up there with Frank Franzetta and Boris Valejo in my mind, in terms of great fantasy artists.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The Whispered World. I believe that Daedelic set new standards in 2D graphics with this one…

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I mentioned CoMI and LSL7 as examples, but for me it’s Monkey Island 2 for sure, if only for the backgrounds (but the character design and animation were exeptional for that time).
I think no game before or after came to that level of artistic beauty that doesn’t feel estranged from the essence of the game.

When the game was released, in one Serbian gaming magazine it was incorrectly stated that the backgrounds were in fact scanned paintings from the old masters and as a kid I believed in that for a very long time.
I would pay A LOT of money to see just one more game in that magical “paintbrush” style.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s a toss up between The Whispered World and The Curse of MI. Still, to choose, would be like saying between Iron Maiden and Cranberries, meaning they’re different styles even though in the same vein of hand-painting. TWW is more on the “oil painting”, while CMI on the Disney comic side.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally I would also say one of the Daedelic games, perhaps Silence: The Whispered World 2, based on what we have seen so far.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If you include games with filmed actors, then Riven.
Also Myst, Myst III, and I think Schizm was also 2D.

For 2D characters as well as background, I like the fairy tale look of games like King’s Quest V and VI and the Kyrandia series—and also the night time environments in Secret of Monkey Island and Loom.

I always liked the sky and backgrounds in Curse of Monkey Island. The character design, not so much—I thought characters looked better in the previous games.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I would add Sherlock Holmes and the Serrated Scalpel. I love the mood of the graphics, dark and foggy but with a warm and cozy palette, with patches of light and darkness defining each screen. The characters are more or less anonymous and part of the background, they are more defined by their stance or what they are doing.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It would be awesome to see the original background paintings for Gabriel Knight. I think it has the best art of the SCI Sierra games - very moody and detailed.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Is that an unused screen?  I’m sure I don’t remember seeing it in the actual game.  Though I do know that they added the exterior to the bookshop back in for the remake.

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

My vote goes to The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and King quest 5.But backgrounds from
A vampyre story looks stunning too.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Zifnab - 21 August 2014 10:54 PM

I would add Sherlock Holmes and the Serrated Scalpel. I love the mood of the graphics, dark and foggy but with a warm and cozy palette, with patches of light and darkness defining each screen. The characters are more or less anonymous and part of the background, they are more defined by their stance or what they are doing.

I couldn’t agree more!

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

So many beautiful games, but the one that stands out to me for its stunning, inspired art in every scene and every character closeup is LSL7. The ingenious, stylish art adds so much to an already great game. If only the game could be remade, exactly as it is, but with higher resolution and smoother animation for today’s modern systems.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

These threads are always tainted by our nostalgia for a game. For example, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island is never mentioned despite having the same artist as Curse of Monkey Island and having an almost identical appearance (apart from the characters which are, in my opinion, better in Vooju). So it comes as no surprise that Ghost Pirates isn’t a very good game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top