• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Inherit the Earth: Sand and Shadows - ask your questions here

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2005-01-24

PM

CroGamer - 24 July 2014 03:09 PM

Will this game be darker than the first one, similar to the original design?

My plan is to make the “darker” plot elements that in the original game were sub-text actually be, well, not-sub-text (technically, “text”). So the effects of the actions by the antagonists will be handled seriously instead of brushed under the “comedy” carpet.

It will still be an “all audiences” game.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Wasn’t the original recently played as a CPT? Many, including me, dropped out for various reasons. Not the least of which was that it took an interesting concept and inserted a seemingly never-ending maze as the sole puzzle that had to be solved in order to get to the end of the game.

Will the proposed game sequel be more of the same? If so, count me out. Will the proposed sequel maintain the retro graphic style of the original as the Kickstarter proposal implies? If so, count me out.

There is another thread that talks about all of this. I am so tired of remakes. I am so tired of retro graphics. The latter of which only equates to “I’m too lazy” so calling it retro solves my design and budget problems.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

rtrooney - 24 July 2014 08:53 PM

Not the least of which was that it took an interesting concept and inserted a seemingly never-ending maze as the sole puzzle that had to be solved in order to get to the end of the game.

Are you sure you played the right game?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Perhaps what I considered a maze, i.e. navigating one’s way though various “venues” by moving up-down-right-left forever until one gets to an exit point where one has to do it all over again isn’t what you consider a never-ending maze. But the definition works for me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well it’s been a while since I’ve played ITE, but I’m pretty sure the maze wasn’t the sole puzzle.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What I really dislike in the original is the isometric areas you need to navigate in. They feel overly large thanks to the low resolution and rummaging through them just doesn’t feel like fun gameplay.

It’s a shame, really, as the game does have a lot of charm. You just need to dig to it through some poor design choices, which could make people abandon the game.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

Sounds interesting then. I wish you all good luck with the Kickstarter.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 24 July 2014 09:33 PM

Perhaps what I considered a maze, i.e. navigating one’s way though various “venues” by moving up-down-right-left forever until one gets to an exit point where one has to do it all over again isn’t what you consider a never-ending maze. But the definition works for me.

There certainly were a lot of mazes in the original:  The Rat Complex, the Dragon Maze, and the Dog Castle all qualify as mazes. Even above-ground outdoor areas like The Marketplace and the Ferret Village were mazelike because you were limited in what direction you could move. The overhead map was also mazelike because many routes were blocked off by mountains or rivers and you had to find your way through. So yes, there were lots of mazes, and it seemed like most of the game involved navigating some sort of maze.

But there were also puzzles where you find and use inventory, and many puzzles where you have to find and talk to the right person. Unfortunately these puzzles generally involved navigating a maze or mazelike area. So it may very well seem like the game was nothing but navigating mazes.

The Lodge Initiation Puzzle was a tangram, but I don’t remember any other puzzles similar to the tangram.

I had the impression that the “updated” version I played (which was widescreen and seemed to have no option for the original full screen aspect ratio) had the top part of the map chopped off, making it more difficult to navigate because the view of what was up north was limited. But I may be thinking of a map from another game—it’s been too long since I played the original 1994 version. Certainly the widescreen version of mazelike areas felt constrictive and inadequate.

I would hope that the new game would have fewer mazes and “mazelike areas.” Also that any overhead map would show a full view of the area, and not just the limited partial view that was in the first Inherit the Earth.

I like the colors better in the original game. The colors in the screens of the new game look washed out by comparison.

Joined 2005-01-24

PM

The isometric maps from the first game were an attempt to make the world seem larger and fuller, but turned into filler when elements were eventually cut the game.

All the locations in the new game will be significant or interesting.

I don’t want to say exactly how many mazes there are in the new game, but it is less than four. And none need to be navigated twice merely to make the game appear longer.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll give the game one simple maze so that it can say it is being true to the original. More than that, count me out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Why all the hate for the mazes here? (I’m not speaking about rtooney only, but generally)

For me they are integral part of the genre, both Lucas Arts and Sierra had them in their classics.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Because mazes often end up being nothing more than tedious filler. To this day I’ve not seen a maze in adventure game that would feel like fun instead of a laborous task.

Joined 2005-01-24

PM

I posted update #5 of the Kickstarter today. The primary news is the announcement of new animations for the characters in the demo, ones that better represent how the characters will look in the completed game.

The update also includes the usual (and one unusual) suggestion on helping to get the word out about the funding drive.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I like it! Very reminiscent of the original style.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just finished the original. It’s fun game, but some poor design choices bring it down quite a bit. The biggest issue I have with it is the over reliance to mazes, they just aren’t fun. Also the gameplay and the puzzle design could have benefitted quite a bit if all the three characters were directly controllable.

What comes to new character design, that’s a bit more like it. Not perfect yet, but not as off putting as the original. They even fit to the background style better.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top