• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gold Rush! Classic

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Collector - 18 July 2014 03:33 PM
Gonchi - 18 July 2014 01:56 PM

Well, yes and no. I’m happy to hear that a DRM-Free option is available, but even so I would like to see a GOG release.

Why? There would be no advantage to a GOG release other than to add a box on your GOG account page. BTW, I am the one that did some of the Sierra GOG releases. They use my resources for most of the Sierra games that I did not do.

The other advantage is that I know I can always redownload from GOG whenever I want to replay the game whereas if I buy it on their site, I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to redownload it and I don’t want to be in a situation where I need to permanently store a game I bought. I already have to deal with making sure I don’t lose my own documents and images and back them up I don’t want to add to that.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Well, yes and no. I’m happy to hear that a DRM-Free option is available, but even so I would like to see a GOG release.

Why? There would be no advantage to a GOG release other than to add a box on your GOG account page. BTW, I am the one that did some of the Sierra GOG releases. They use my resources for most of the Sierra games that I did not do.

Personal preference and convenience.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Not to mention gog is propably the second biggest digital distribution platform and likely the place where game like Gold Rush makes the most sales.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

giom - 18 July 2014 06:02 PM

The other advantage is that I know I can always redownload from GOG whenever I want to replay the game whereas if I buy it on their site, I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to redownload it and I don’t want to be in a situation where I need to permanently store a game I bought. I already have to deal with making sure I don’t lose my own documents and images and back them up I don’t want to add to that.

It will be on Steam, too.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes but Steam is not DRM free… GOG has the advantage of having all the benefits from Steam (ease of use, one place to centralize everything, possibility to redownload whenever I want) together with being DRM free.

I’m not against Steam but if I’ve got a choice I"m always going to go buy a game on GOG first and tend to only use Steam for bundles. Plus in term of games discovery, there’s a lot of people on GOG who are interested by games like Gold Rush, so it’s a good marketing channel to try

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

BTW, I am the one that did some of the Sierra GOG releases. They use my resources for most of the Sierra games that I did not do.

Is the last sentence just a factual statement, or do you disagree with their behavior?

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

giom - 19 July 2014 08:36 PM

Yes but Steam is not DRM free… GOG has the advantage of having all the benefits from Steam (ease of use, one place to centralize everything, possibility to redownload whenever I want) together with being DRM free.

I’m not against Steam but if I’ve got a choice I"m always going to go buy a game on GOG first and tend to only use Steam for bundles. Plus in term of games discovery, there’s a lot of people on GOG who are interested by games like Gold Rush, so it’s a good marketing channel to try

Steam is not adding DRM to the game. You can bypass the steam client altogether by opening the installed folder.

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Shnubble - 19 July 2014 10:32 PM

BTW, I am the one that did some of the Sierra GOG releases. They use my resources for most of the Sierra games that I did not do.

Is the last sentence just a factual statement, or do you disagree with their behavior?

Factual statement. They have my explicit permission and I have worked with them on some releases. The QfG collection is my design.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Nice, I bought that!

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Collector - 19 July 2014 11:59 PM

Steam is not adding DRM to the game. You can bypass the steam client altogether by opening the installed folder.

But you’ve still got to install the Steam Client at some point in order to download the game.
It sounds similar to the Big Fish Client, where you can run the game directly from the game executable, but you can’t get it downloaded and installed in the first place unless you use the Big Fish Client to “manage” the process.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-07-26

PM

It was released on Steam yesterday for $9.99, discounted to $7.99 until 1 August 2014. That’s a bit steep for a re-release of a game from 1988 that runs in DOSBox at a resolution of 320x200 (160x100?) Mini Frown

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think that would be fair price point if the remake would be bundeled with it. Now it is a bit off putting.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-07-26

PM

tomimt - 26 July 2014 07:28 AM

I think that would be fair price point if the remake would be bundeled with it. Now it is a bit off putting.

Exactly. If that was the case, I would definitely buy it. As it stands now, it looks like $8 or $10 for the “Classic” and then, presumabley, $15 or $20 for the remake? Gasp

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m just curious, does even a fraction of that money goes to the original creators of the game? (And not just in this case, but generally for all re-released classics)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top