• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 15 July 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

This is the first screen of Armaeth: The Lost Kingdom (1993). The game with the most convoluted interface ever. Rows of clickable icons. I think you had to click one of those icons to make the next row appear! Although I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, I also remember vaguely a large number of complex key combinations.

I may have seen one or two other screens, but I certainly didn’t get very far and the first screen is actually the only one I recognize.  The graphics are attractive but by 1993 I was already getting somewhat fed up with fantasy adventures of the King’s Quest type and I hadn’t discovered LucasArts yet. In my memory Armaeth was the last adventure I gave up on before everybody started talking about a totally novel game called Myst. The end of an era for me. I never went back to Armaeth. My loss…?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It looked obsolete even when it came out.
I’ll pass.

P.S. Armaeth is great for stumping the uninitiated in screenshot guessing threads though.
Too bad Harald couldn’t preserve the (teeny-tiny) picture .

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If this was “Match that screen” thread, I’d say it looks like this:

BTW, what are those “Merlin and young sorceress” icon in upper corners for? Gasp

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey you! Remove spoiler Spot immediately!

Hi zobraks  Innocent

Blonde girl on left of row of icons: left click on her to display a description of the current screen.

Old man on right of row of icons: left click on him to cycle through the different rows of icons.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great. One more thing: eye is for Look, hand for Pick up, padlock for Use (?), pushing for Push… but what, on Earth, is a torch for?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You Spot, me torch. Tongue
Now you tell me what a heart is for.

PS: I forgot to mention the worst of all: rows of icons, complex key combinations, and you still have to TYPE TEXT.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ok, I fixed the Spot. Now, the torch?

Karlok - 15 July 2014 07:50 AM

Now you tell me what a heart is for.

I guess it’s for “Fall in love” with a random object on screen?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 15 July 2014 07:54 AM

Ok, I fixed the Spot.

LOL!

Now, the torch?

Spot = torch. What more do you need to know?

I guess it’s for “Fall in love” with a random object on screen?

Didn’t work for me.  Sick

PS: Is that fifth icon really push? Might also be open door instead of simply use. They have a different icon for climbing stairs as well.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 15 July 2014 07:59 AM

PS: Is that fifth icon really push? Might also be open door instead of simply use.

Nah, his stance and the legs & bottom behind looks like he’s pushing it. Either that, or he’s really sprinting to open the door. Tongue

Karlok - 15 July 2014 07:59 AM

They have a different icon for climbing stairs as well.

Now I’ve heard everything. Do we get one for a “get naked and swim” as well? It would be ashame if not with a scene like this.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Maybe the heart changes random objects into portraits of Tony Clifton.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

zobraks - 15 July 2014 02:49 AM

P.S. Armaeth is great for stumping the uninitiated in screenshot guessing threads though.
Too bad Harald couldn’t preserve the (teeny-tiny) picture .

I have no memory of this whatsoever! Good thing you keep a meticulous archive of those threads, Zobraks. Or have an astonishing memory. Anyway, I think I got as far into this game as most people: I wandered through a bunch of screens, couldn’t make head nor tails of the interface, and finally got eaten by a bear.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top