• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

playing/making ags ‘outside of the box’ pros/cons

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hypothetically speaking this box holds all the traditional/original elements our ‘ancestors’ of Lucasarts ,Cyan and Sierra had packed in.

me after thinking (and I know that thinking is bad for me) I came out with two outta the box common examples that I see around for a pretty long while around the scene.

1st. is this about keeping that ‘box’ intact as possible but trying to shake some elements to give a possibility for more different-new options and experiences ,new tools to get around the overdone traditional-adventuring ways which even sometimes could be described as clichés .

There are 10s of those examples, given occasionally at various ags or even as a one time trail that might be never been repeated or followed .
-(i.e) The Sidekick interference or help into solving puzzles; such The Whispered world, Haunted .. etc ,-using the time element by going through past and future back and forth; such The silent age, Lilly looking through, or Originally the day of the tentacle. -giving some kinda super power to the heroes; such cognition, Memoria and many many other things, you may help to remember and recollect them here in this thread.

2nd is emptying the ‘box’ and (just) keep the core of those traditional adventure games then create a whole new ags of new elements and rules that are somehow totally different from the traditional elements packed-in by the ones mentioned previously at the start of the thread ; such The-Experiment ,Gone home ,Samorost, Machinarium, ..and so on , and of course some of TT games but since I haven’t played them all (only the their starters like S&M and MI) to be able to apply this to which.

Sometimes any of those two methods can create a big confusion more than shaking the scene in a very good way/intention of evaluation (IMO)
When Lucasarts itself, had long before shaken the ground under Sierra’s traditions by the non-death ,and verb commands elements, it was so great that i guess even they back then would not by anychnce expected the result of ‘thinking/playing outside of the box’ would make for/over the scene for years and years to come , they had made then the biggest breakthrough in the history of the genre, comes after this the Cyan/Myst experience/breakthrough .

But here anyone should stop and reconsider that these examples and experiences, of Lucasarts and Cyan can-not/hadn’t been achieved again or at least to that successful extend until this day ..and its not always safe to fiddle-around with successful elements without a very good reason.
if we look at Lucasarts and Sierra we would find that 70-90% of their games were intact within a sort of a very definable box for each one of them, plus they were all very successful, which points out again, any new formula should has a very good reason to be done or undone.

Also I would like to point out that when The Walking Dead won the best game of the year(of all genres) it doesn’t seem to have given TT the full excuse to tater/fiddle with their own formula as the case with TWD season.2 or the Wolf Among Us, which aren’t as much appreciated (I could be wrong as I am really biased against TT and I can not hide it).

There are also anyhow, no doubt about lots of great ‘small’ and trivial elements ‘outside of the box’ that could or should be followed (whether they were or not) like the Hotspot revealer of Tunguska, the Inventory Sys of Perry Rhodan, The Glowing cursor with objects/inventory matching, as the case with Futuregames’ ags..etc, but I cant bring them into this post right now for they might confuse the general ideas I am trying to ‘bring out’, into just small and specific points.

We need to see right through these intensively or even needed changes (which seems very wanted by many players here, who are more open to new ideas than me) to the core of adventure gaming, even today Daedilic is taking its chances with it at TWW.2, and as its not very predictable ‘yet’ to which extend they would go ,I can still feel relaxed about it, since hearing of their up coming’s The Devil’s Men which is intact within their traditional ways of adventuring shown obviously at all their previous projects (developed).

at the end I haven’t really talked about the pros and cons of all this, I need more brainstorming to be able to, but maybe you guys could. Cool

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Your choice of words is technically correct but had me confused for a second.
May I suggest to use the term “outside of the box”?
Out of the box can also refer to a standard, unmodified version fresh out of the box.

Personally, I don’t care if a game is inside or outside the box as long as it’s a good game.
The advantage of developing a game outside of the narrow classical adventure box is to find a broader audience. The risk is to lose the classical adventure fans such as yourself.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks, I ve been feeling that this might be a wrong phrase, but now you have corrected it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top