• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is your “Perfect” Adventure?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The perfect adventure… Which game, if any, jumps to your mind?

If there’s anything I’ve learned since I began discussing adventure games online, it’s that everyone has a pretty unique opinion on how they like their adventure games, which makes sense, considering what a diverse genre adventure games really is. I thought it’d be interesting to see which games you guys feel are flawless, or whose flaws you’d happily overlook because of its otherwise pure awesomeness. Name as many games as you want, and what made that/those game(s) so special for you.

Mine is my all-time favourite: The Curse of Monkey Island.

My first meeting with that game remains my fondest gaming experience, regardless of genre. All aspects of it catered to my senses, the voice acting, the lateral thinking excercises, the story, the setting, the sounds, the gameplay, the humor and the music (easily some of the finest music in gaming history, which upon hearing, I’m instantly in a good place). All these areas radiated brilliance, but its finest treat for me was the artwork. I love to draw and few things has inspired as much as TCOMI did back then, I would draw scenes from the game daily, and I’ve probably done quite a few hundreds of them. TCOMI was a glimpse into what can be achieved within the 2D format, a new standard of art and animation was set, but just as soon as it arrived, it went away.

How about you, what’s your perfect adventure

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

For me it surely is the game that sits in the top of my top-10 list: Riven

When I first played Riven, I was sincerely speachless from the world I have just entered. Both Graphics, sound effects and music (possibly the best soundtrack ever in the gaming history) create such an amazing effect that drawn me from the very first second. I still remember the times that I played with lights off, headphones, just ignoring everything around me, being devoured by the game. Rich history and story background were also present. I was already familiar with the Myst background (both from game and novel), so I was eager to see how some important personalities were portrayed. I wasn’t disappointed. Mostly John Keston’s performance as Gehn is responsible for one of the best villains present in an adveture game. Last but not least, the riddles. Unlike Myst, the riddles here had a purpose within the world. That’s why the logic explore first- solve later was used. I loved it. Some of them were really challenging, but the fact they were always logical made it a really well-worth experience.
To sum up, Riven created new standards in my eyes in adventure gaming. It is not just another game, but an entire world of experience, one that I can either solve riddles, find interesting pieces of information smartly scattered around or simply explore every little detail on this world, wathcing beatles fly, exploring underwater mine tracks through fire rings, or learning an entire new numerical system. And yes, I did cry a bit the first time I fininshed it.

Pure perfection.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Can I say I don’t have one? The word “perfect” tells me the game is flawless, that I don’t need any other game because this is just so wonderful. I have never played such a game and I’m not sure I will.

I suppose I need to add something, so I could say what my perfect game could look like. If it could have the humor of Discworld, the intriguing exploration of Myst, the atmosphere of The Lost Crown, the voiceacting of Simon the Sorcerer, the wordsmithing and intellectuality of Curses, and playability and addictiveness of Botanicula. Well now, that would be getting close to perfect. Either that or it could end up a giant mess of conflicting traits Tongue

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

For me Gabriel Knight 3. To put it in a nutshell: fantastic story (and characters), the most ingenious set of puzzles ever, the most immersive interface, my favorite soundtrack, a brilliant “open” structure… It has a couple flaws, what with some hilarious cat hairs and the end part, but they don’t matter because the rest is just so solid.

There’s really so much that is simply unique about GK3. And it doesn’t feel gamey to me. It flows, it’s immersive, it has depths that aren’t obvious on the first playthrough. It just has it all.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Zifnab - 07 July 2014 06:20 AM

Can I say I don’t have one? The word “perfect” tells me the game is flawless, that I don’t need any other game because this is just so wonderful. I have never played such a game and I’m not sure I will.

That’s why I typed “perfect” with quotation marks, and added “whose flaws you’d happily overlook because of its otherwise pure awesomeness”, as there’s no such thing as perfection really Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Curse of the Last Whispered Knight

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

My prefect adventure is that opens in a single room but before you find your way out .
My prefect adventure makes run you freely in different locations don’t know what to do or where to start .
It takes you suddenly out of this area of locations to another with as much interactions, to find yourself you still within that enormous place you have left.
It has all sort of puzzles, inventory , dialogue , Myst/Riven places orientation puzzles, syberia mechnical ones , mini games that never separated from the game story and immersion .
Every click has a response and every inventory interaction is acceptable even if a silly answer is the result .
Every spot is a hot spot.
10s of unforgettable characters/Npcs with 100s of different interactions and responses out of them.
The minimum artwork would do, 2d is enough, great music is a must and voice acting should be acceptable .

There a game like this but I am not here to give an example .

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 07 July 2014 05:21 PM

There a game like this but I am not here to give an example .

Oh, come on, it’s Moment of Silence. Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

No it’s not , but let’s leave this to the other thread of ...place this and that :p

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Advie - 07 July 2014 05:26 PM

No it’s not , but let’s leave this to the other thread of ...place this and that :p

Is it Larry Reloaded?  Laughing

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

subbi - 09 July 2014 02:17 AM
Advie - 07 July 2014 05:26 PM

Is it Larry Reloaded?  Laughing

He obviously talks about Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, one of his favourites.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Yeah probably, or any other Daedalic game, like the Rabbity one….or anything designed by Roberta Williams. That pretty much covers it.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

My bet is on Space Quest.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

My perfect adventure game is Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon. Perfect story, perfect puzzles (I loved the tile puzzle near the end), pretty much perfect anything.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BladeRunner, all it needs is to upgrade character models , rest was perfect still looks
awesome. Them prerendered backgrounds, Westwood were magicians.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

diego - 09 July 2014 06:34 AM

My bet is on Space Quest.

Unlikely, Roberta Williams didn’t touch it. Although…

If I ever get around to making an adventure game, I should get RW to endorse it. Then I know advie will buy at least one copy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top