• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Neuromancer.utopian

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Will adventure gaming ever get over with 90’s ?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

Today’s adventure gaming scene;lots of indie developers despearately trying to emulate 90’s style and titles,old studio developers involves crowdfounding projects gathering funds for remaking old games.
Will ag ever get over with 90’s or did we all doomed to play anything but nostalgia pumping broken point and clicks and full motion slide shows again again?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

What else is there?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If you have any ideas on how to make adventure games better than they were in the 90’s, feel free to share. I haven’t seen anyone succeed in that department yet, but I’m glad there are some gaming studios that are still trying. On rare occasion, some of them even gets pretty close, but the quality of the top Lucas-games is still unmatched by modern AG’s. But you’re right, the world would be a much better place if they stopped making everything that I don’t personally find amusing, then again, I tend to forget that I’m not the only individual with preferences on the planet.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So all those titles that take the genre in a new direction (and that elicited tons of “it’s not an adventure game” discussions) passed you by? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

What triggered this? One look at the front page of this website will reveal articles covering adventures that feel nothing like ‘90s point-and-clickies.

Here’s one that was funded through Kickstarter:

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’d argue that largely it has, in the sense that the most popular adventure games: heavy rain, la noire, walking dead, etc.. have really distanced themselves from the style of the 90s.

But really, who wants to be completely “over” the style of the 90s? The best quality modern adventures are the ones being made by studios like wadjet eye and daedalic, who continue to find ways to make refreshing games that would fit in that era.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

zane - 06 July 2014 09:33 AM

I’d argue that largely it has, in the sense that the most popular adventure games: heavy rain, la noire, walking dead, etc.. have really distanced themselves from the style of the 90s.

Qte games so 90’s.It seems that for future generations 2k10’s will be remembered as a decade which agamers keep replayed 90’s games without noticing.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Advie - 06 July 2014 08:57 AM

What else is there?

Evolution? LA Noire seemed to have some ideas to evolve the genre. Granted it was a less casual and relaxing experience than point-and-click adventures, but there were tons of adventure elements in that game.

Not that I want old school point-and-click games to disappear. It’s still my favourite genre alongside RPGs, but I think LA Noire showed how the genre might evolve.

Imagine Police Quest redone with an LA Noire type open world and all the procedural stuff.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Funny you say that. Jim Walls was involved in a spiritual successor to Police Quest with modern mechanical quirks but I guess there wasn’t enough nostalgic people to fund it completely: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Compared to some other genres, we’re doing great:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

As long as there are still classic styled games out there and being made, “the genre” can do whatever it likes.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

diego - 06 July 2014 11:11 AM

Are we?

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yes, what is the reason or purpose for “getting over the 90s?”  There’s no rule that says you must completely disregard the past or no longer enjoy things from it.  No one is suggesting that that anything from “the 90s” replace anything new.  I do not understand this attitude; it is entirely possible that in this large world of almost limitless possibilities, proclivities for both past sensibilities and future sensibilities CAN co-exist.

Bt

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

D - 06 July 2014 12:01 PM
diego - 06 July 2014 11:11 AM

Are we?

Hahahaha.  Touche.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-02-02

PM

Will ag ever get over with 90’s or did we all doomed to play anything but nostalgia pumping broken point and clicks and full motion slide shows again again?

We’re already long-over the 90’s. The genre has evolved in both subtle and pronounced ways in the last 15 years. There are some who choose to be obstinate about what they label as an adventure game, but it’s easy to find small and large variations and developments on the genre. The question of the direction of this evolution is a broader and more nuanced topic.

That said, of course there is still nostalgia about the “golden” era of adventure games. What’s wrong with that? And yes, there are some developers who will still try to be purists in regards to their game mechanics. And yes, there will be some people who will feed off that nostalgia to remake old games, make sequels, etc. So what?

Think of the Beatles in the 60’s… what some might consider the “golden” era of rock and roll. Popular music has evolved dramatically since then… but there are still bands who emulate a 60’s sound, still listeners who don’t consider today’s popular music part of the same “genre.” Plus, the Beatles are remastered every 5-10 years it would seem (and people buy it). Does that mean that we are stuck in the 60’s?

We can easily love and cherish the past - but also continue to move forward. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

dxmachina - 06 July 2014 03:26 PM

We can easily love and cherish the past - but also continue to move forward. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Nailed it!

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top