• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 15 October 2012 02:11 PM

I didn’t mean it seriously Timovieman.

I know. But admit it: you’d like to have Vertonghen and Kompany for Oranje… Wink Tongue

And I don’t know too much about Belgian politics so I don’t really have an opinion on mr. De Wever, except that he has quite some stamina and determination to lose so much weight in such a short time (wasn’t it 120 pounds? 60 kg?).

Could very well be 120 pounds. I’m more concerned about his politics than his weight.

Luckily I didn’t vote for the parties who run our country now.

Unfortunately that didn’t stop them from winning… Frown

On De Wever: the funniest moment of election day yesterday, was the moment De Wever wanted to declare his victory. The DJ at his backers’ party was playing Happiness by Sam Sparro (in The Magician Remix) when De Wever entered the room, and he kept on playing the song for a full two minutes AFTER De Wever had already taken the stage and wanted to start his speech. This was broadcast live during the news.
At one point you can clearly hear De Wever say “Turn that record off! We’re live on the news right now!”.

“Turn that record off!” (or at least the - Antwerp dialect - Flemish sentence “Zet die ploat af!”) was THE running gag of the day (and possibly also the weeks to come).
It didn’t take long for a “Zet die ploat af!” remix of Happiness to hit the Web… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2012 02:20 PM

I didn’t mean it seriously Timovieman.

I know. But admit it: you’d like to have Vertonghen and Kompany for Oranje… Wink Tongue

Does that have to do with soccer/football/voetbal? I don’t know anything about that, seriously.

And I don’t know too much about Belgian politics so I don’t really have an opinion on mr. De Wever, except that he has quite some stamina and determination to lose so much weight in such a short time (wasn’t it 120 pounds? 60 kg?).

Could very well be 120 pounds. I’m more concerned about his politics than his weight.

If he tackles his political problems in the same way as his weight problems you’ll be in for an interesting period Smile.

Luckily I didn’t vote for the parties who run our country now.

Unfortunately that didn’t stop them from winning… Frown

We are lucky with this government. It looked like it would be much much worse. Unfortunately the anti-Europe sentiments run high everywhere at the moment.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 15 October 2012 02:29 PM

Does that have to do with soccer/football/voetbal?

Of course it does. Football’s like the most important thing ever! Innocent

I don’t know anything about that, seriously.

And you call yourself Dutch… Shifty Eyed Grin

If he tackles his political problems in the same way as his weight problems you’ll be in for an interesting period Smile.

So far he’s only been in the opposition. That’s easy, criticising everything others are trying to do.
I’m not sure how he’s going to handle actually having to come up with a policy of his own…

Unfortunately the anti-Europe sentiments run high everywhere at the moment.

Which is a shame.
I really think there’s more of a future for every European within the European Union, than there is in only their separate nations.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2012 03:02 PM

Does that have to do with soccer/football/voetbal?

Of course it does. Football’s like the most important thing ever! Innocent

I don’t know anything about that, seriously.

And you call yourself Dutch… Shifty Eyed Grin

Bab, I know… But I’ve always been a bit weird Nerd

So far he’s only been in the opposition. That’s easy, criticising everything others are trying to do.
I’m not sure how he’s going to handle actually having to come up with a policy of his own…

I think he’ll be OK. He had a good “getting thinner” policy Tongue.

Unfortunately the anti-Europe sentiments run high everywhere at the moment.

Which is a shame.
I really think there’s more of a future for every European within the European Union, than there is in only their separate nations.

It’s not so strange, this anti-europe sentiment, considering the things that are happening at the moment. I never heard or saw a really good explanation of why we should give so much money to Greece, Spain and Italy, to name a few. Not even in the newspaper. And there are many things wrong with the EU, but the concept is very sound in my opinion. But we have to get a lot leaner and meaner and stick to our core business more to really make a difference to the world, I think.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

“Europe” as a free trade area was a good idea. The European Union on every other level is a terrible shambles which never should have come into being.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jatsie - 16 October 2012 10:23 AM

“Europe” as a free trade area was a good idea. The European Union on every other level is a terrible shambles which never should have come into being.

Why not? They went for the “United States of Europe”. The problem imo is that they didn’t go far enough with that idea…

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I think the problem is that they didn’t go for the USE. But I also know that that was never the intention. Countries had to be able to keep their souverignity. I think one of the problems the EU has is that nobody knows what ‘souverignity’ means exactly, and that it seems to mean different things to different countries. The problem we have now is that one currency should mean one currency policy and one minister of finance for the EU. Not every country wants that. And because almost no countries have stuck to the so-called “three percent rule” we need one currency policy and one minister of finance for the EU more than ever.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I got the job! Grin

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Go Fantasy!!! Thumbs Up

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Fantasysci5 - 16 October 2012 03:36 PM

I got the job! Grin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Fantasysci5 - 16 October 2012 03:36 PM

I got the job! Grin

Well done!!

Now you need the perfect outfit for your first day..

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

TimovieMan - 16 October 2012 02:02 PM

Why not? They went for the “United States of Europe”. The problem imo is that they didn’t go far enough with that idea…

tsa - 16 October 2012 02:10 PM

I think the problem is that they didn’t go for the USE. But I also know that that was never the intention. Countries had to be able to keep their sovereignty. I think one of the problems the EU has is that nobody knows what ‘sovereignty’ means exactly, and that it seems to mean different things to different countries. The problem we have now is that one currency should mean one currency policy and one minister of finance for the EU. Not every country wants that. And because almost no countries have stuck to the so-called “three percent rule” we need one currency policy and one minister of finance for the EU more than ever.

Well one of the problems is that currency union should never have happened before political union. When the French and German leaders originally embarked on the idea of the single currency it was always with the belief that eventually the nations of Europe would merge into one, but that fact that they did everything backwards practically doomed it from the start. We then add onto that the fact that the peoples of Europe have made it clear time and time again that they have no desire to be part of a federal European superstate, and wish to stay as their separate nation-states, no matter what the misguided ideology of their politicians might be. Instead of a simple free trade area we’re now left with a bloated bureaucracy that is the EU, which countries must pay millions each day to support, and where a load of unelected technocrats sit around passing ridiculous laws which member states are obliged to implement, despite public outcry. The way the EU operates is the complete antithesis to democracy. When the EU constitution was rejected in national referendums they simply repackaged it word-for-word as the Lisbon Treaty and forced it through, when the Irish dared to vote no they were simply made to vote again until they made the “right” choice. In my view the EU is nothing but a costly, dangerous, and ridiculous farce, and we would all be better off without it.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Congratulations Fantasy! When do you start?

@Timo/tsa/Jatsie

The common ground between you (to my eyes) appears to be that Europe could potentially work as a political and monetary union but does not work properly as a half hearted attempt, which is what it is now.

In so far as that is what you are all saying then I agree with all of you!

However, I am generally glad that the UK is not part of the single currency and even though there is some good in the EU, I would rather be on the doorstep looking in rather than part of USE.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’d rather be part of it thank you. But it will be many decades from now before that functions smoothly. Don’t forget that the EU was formed first and foremost to prevent things like WW Iⅈ to happen again, and secondly to bring more prosperity to the participating countries by working together. That has worked exceptionally well during the past 60 years or so. The fact that we are now in this trouble is predominantly caused by two things IMO: 1) the far too fast expansion of the EU in the 1990s and early 2000s, and 2) the fact that most countries didn’t play by the rules. But this doesn’t mean that the EU is now suddenly a big pile of horsedung, as many people seem to be thinking (especially the ones who have no idea what they are talking about). And I don’t think anyone of you on this forum belongs to that group! I’ve seen many comments (mostly badly spelled) on Dutch forums about the EU that are not appropriate for this website Wink.

-

In other news, I just got an email from one Terrie Martin (who I don’t know), with subject header: Cufflinks. That went straight to the trash Smile.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Thanks guys! Love that shirt. I have orientation either this Friday or next Wednesday, depending on the other new people’s schedules.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top