Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Indie Games Thread

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-04-08

PM

I too found a few Indies on E3.

Total Posts: 862

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’ve spent about 15 hours playing Yooka-Laylee over the past 2 weeks and I can confirm that the critical reception was a little unfair. It’s a legitimately serviceable platformer with a few limitations because of its smaller budget. If a no-name developer made this, it would have been praised much like the recent Rare-inspired indie Snake Pass.

There are only 4 worlds and 1 hub but the worlds are massive with an incredible variety of different challenges that require a mixture of strategies and moves to complete. There are no invisible walls, which encourages exploration, and a clear path for progression that involves finding new levels in the hub world with moves purchased within levels. The camera is pretty dodgy and the arcade minigames are indeed lame but, my god, 2 out of 10 for this game is completely unacceptable from a popular reviewer and hurts careers.

I don’t think a lot people really know what they want. For years, people have been yearning for Rare to return with an open world non-linear platformer with quirky characters and a jamming soundtrack. However, I think these critics only have the tolerance for a straightforward linear platformer like Super Mario 3D World where the pathways are narrow and the secrets are obvious (find 3 coins and a stamp).

IMHO, that mindset is the antithesis of adventure games.

Total Posts: 5600

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 24 April 2017 08:30 PM

I’ve spent about 15 hours playing Yooka-Laylee over the past 2 weeks and I can confirm that the critical reception was a little unfair. It’s a legitimately serviceable platformer with a few limitations because of its smaller budget. If a no-name developer made this, it would have been praised much like the recent Rare-inspired indie Snake Pass.

There are only 4 worlds and 1 hub but the worlds are massive with an incredible variety of different challenges that require a mixture of strategies and moves to complete. There are no invisible walls, which encourages exploration, and a clear path for progression that involves finding new levels in the hub world with moves purchased within levels. The camera is pretty dodgy and the arcade minigames are indeed lame but, my god, 2 out of 10 for this game is completely unacceptable from a popular reviewer and hurts careers.

I don’t think a lot people really know what they want. For years, people have been yearning for Rare to return with an open world non-linear platformer with quirky characters and a jamming soundtrack. However, I think these critics only have the tolerance for a straightforward linear platformer like Super Mario 3D World where the pathways are narrow and the secrets are obvious (find 3 coins and a stamp).

IMHO, that mindset is the antithesis of adventure games.

Graphics are dialed back, if you open BK3 pics along with YL you will know what i am talking about
Secondly level design is generic and lifeless, even more than Crash, Spyro or Conker or Banjo of old times

And releasing it in jam packed quality quarter with collectathon mechanic as usp, it was meant to be DoA

I youtubed problems Yooka laylee and vids are plenty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Jzloqqe2s

In anycase 2/10 is a joke , its not below 6/10 by any means if zelda can be 10/10

I never asked for this

Welcome to the AG forums! View the archived forums here »