• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

suck at adventure games

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2006-12-01

PM

I’m 68 and I’d love to play a game where the puzzles are logical..any suggestions appreciated I love adventure games but I suck at them..Games like Myst where your running all over the place drive me nuts..  Tom
  Neutral

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

OK, hopefully I’m posting in the right place now! :-)

(if not: mods, do your thing…)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Tom! It’s always good to see someone new.

First, before making any recommendations, what kind of games have you enjoyed in the past? That will give me an idea of what you mean by “logical puzzles,” since that can have a different meaning from one person to the next. :-)

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Try Emerald City Confidential.  It is quite easy, and has an interesting storyline and characters to back it, especially if you like the Wizard of Oz universe.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-05-08

PM

Book of Unwritten Tales is a good one that is easy to a fault. If your problem is less with hard puzzles and more with illogical puzzles,  Resonance is good about that and it’s easily the best adventure of this century.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It really depends what kind of logic you get along with. For you that’s clearly not Myst.

If I were asked about the most logical game I’ve come across it would be Rhem, which is - wait for it… a Myst clone. Taken to the extreme. There is no puzzle which you can’t look at the clues and apply reasoning (usually mathematical in nature) to get an answer - which can’t be said for many adventure games.

The least logical I’ve played would be something like Sam & Max Hit the Road where every solution to a puzzle is a wacky combination of items or twisted thinking (or more often, guessing). And yet you can’t say it doesn’t have logic - the puzzles are wacky but often follow a consistently crazy kind of thinking. I like both games because they are done well.

The point is, all games have their logic. So you may need to be more specific than simply asking for “logic”. Myst wasn’t illogical, but will drive some people crazy. On the opposite end of the spectrum there’s Sam & Max which will drive others nuts. Or it might not even be the logic of Myst you dislike but the kind of patient exploration required, and the need to pay attention to every detail.

Or maybe you just want an easier game? If so then try Botanicula or Machinarium, or maybe Wallace & Gromit.

And most importantly, best of luck in your journey - it’s worth it!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Zifnab - 15 June 2014 09:01 PM

It really depends what kind of logic you get along with. For you that’s clearly not Myst.

If I were asked about the most logical game I’ve come across it would be Rhem, which is - wait for it… a Myst clone. Taken to the extreme. There is no puzzle which you can’t look at the clues and apply reasoning (usually mathematical in nature) to get an answer - which can’t be said for many adventure games.

The least logical I’ve played would be something like Sam & Max Hit the Road where every solution to a puzzle is a wacky combination of items or twisted thinking (or more often, guessing). And yet you can’t say it doesn’t have logic - the puzzles are wacky but often follow a consistently crazy kind of thinking. I like both games because they are done well.

The point is, all games have their logic. So you may need to be more specific than simply asking for “logic”. Myst wasn’t illogical, but will drive some people crazy. On the opposite end of the spectrum there’s Sam & Max which will drive others nuts. Or it might not even be the logic of Myst you dislike but the kind of patient exploration required, and the need to pay attention to every detail.

Exactly right, that’s what I was thinking, too. Perhaps I should have just come out with those suggestions rather than waiting on Tom’s response. When I think “logic,” my mind immediately goes to games like Schizm, Myst, and the like, but all games have their logic, even if it’s grounded in wackiness.

Well, all the GOOD games have logic to their puzzles, that is… Tongue

Anyway Tom, I second a look-see at Machinarium or Botanicula. Most games are going to have their moments of exploration and backtracking, but these less-so than others. You could also try Samorost. Its pretty similar to Machinarium, so if you like it (and it’s a free game, BTW, just Google it) you’ll have a pretty good idea what you’re in for. Thumbs Up

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

longest journey or dreamfall are both somewhat logical. not always though i guess.

qfg1 is pretty logical. not sure if you like 3rd person or prefer 1st or whatnot… 
zork nemesis was one of the only myst like games i ever really got into.

in terms of newer games i liked botanicula for being pretty straight forward and logical. nice soundtrack too.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

A fair few games have hint systems now that guide you along. I don’t have a definitive list of them, but many new releases do. You probably want the more linear A to B adventure games rather than ones that let you roam all over doing multiple tasks (like Chaos on Deponia, which becomes confusing fast).

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-04-09

PM

Definitely give Broken Sword 1-2, and 5 a chance. All three are fairly logical and it’s difficult to get outright lost in any of them. Also, I believe the new versions of 1-2 have hint systems to help if necessary (5 had one from the start).

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Suggest you check out http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2112/

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Yeah welcome to the forums, Tom! It’s always good to see someone who both new & old.The Last Express,Still Life,LA Noire mature titles you might like.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top