• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Devil’s Men - Steampunk adventure

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Such a shame. That was their best-looking project to date, imo. Hope they release some more art of it down the line, at least.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 February 2018 10:19 AM
Karlok - 26 February 2018 09:21 AM
zane - 25 February 2018 04:03 PM

Daedalic achieved adventure greatness. Edna and harvey 1&2, whispered world, 4 deponia games, anna’s quest, 2 chains of satinav games, night of the rabbit. All very good games. And for me that compares favorably with any adventure dev. Sadly that chapter is over. Hopefully they will continue to release good games in whatever genre they choose.

What zane said.

I’m very sorry their adventuring days seem to be over, but they have said for years that sales were disappointing. So they chose another route to survive.

their sales were never disappointing,they have market called Germany full of adventurer addicts more than anywhere else in the world,

Sigh… not again…

That is so NOT TRUE. Germany may have more adventure players, relatively speaking, but the German market was never big enough to make a profit. Deadalic almost went belly up when Steam refused their games. When they finally were admitted, games like the Deponia series got pretty bad reviews. Germans are more interested in American adventures than Americans are in German ones.

I repeat that Daedalic have mentioned disappointing sales for years, long before the takeover. Just stating some facts.

Recent article about new Steam problems
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-02-daedalic-entertainment-1-000-releases-in-six-weeks-its-crazy

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

good post with the “sign.. not again” reminds of a stuck up school teacher i had at school.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

I’m very sorry to hear of the game’s cancellation. It looked so pretty!

Frown

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Germany is a good market, but it’s not really going to solve adventure developer financial problems by itself. If your target distributor is Steam then you have to make a game appealing to the American audience, that’s where the actual good and studio supporting profits are going to be found. Nevertheless, Daedalic have been a force to be reckoned with over the last decade but have obviously wised up (arguably a little bit late) that point & clicks just don’t make much money, unless your last name is “Gilbert”. It’s a fact that most P&C developers come to learn sometime after release… :p The Devil’s Men looked good though and may have been their best bet for a more American-led adventure/p&c audience (though these are 2 very different audiences, when you think about it).

The “studio sized” development of point & click adventures is dying with every passing second. It’s not affordable, not sustainable and it’s no wonder Daedalic have had to pull the plug on at least one project like that. Individually created or small teams are going to lead the way, with the way the digital distribution markets currently stand. Case in point, Revolution. Not much from them in the last 5 years, proof enough that their last bid at a studio sized development couldn’t easily or affordably be repeated. Yes, Kickstarter might help get a project made but they still have to turn a profit after that if that team/company wants to stay afloat beyond the development period… Yet some individuals have released 2, 3 or 4 games in that time, proving mostly that only one end of the spectrum is sustainable, and it’s not really the end of the spectrum that the companies with large teams reside on.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Life is Strange has sold over 2 million copies and that does not include IOS sales either.

We have our hit adventure games and always have. Just like movies, we do have indie releases and some people, like myself like them.

However, some indies are so good that you wish they would get a big budget remake, like Kathy Rain.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Yeah, casual adventures (basically any adventure game that doesn’t use a verb interface, imo) sell well because they are just that, casual. They can reach console audiences in that shape. But point & clicks don’t because they’re just too niche, regardless of how that comes across in a dedicated adventure forum/community. Therefore the production cost of them is less likely to be recouped. I’m sure if Devil’s Men took a different approach than hard-line point & click they might have less worries over recouping their costs. Either way, scaling the project back, taking it in a different (more casual) direction—well these are all viable options outside of purely cancelling a project, so it’s a bit perplexing why D would do that, if the time and effort had been put into it (though I don’t know how much they actually got done, all I know is they were supposed to show it at AdventureX a few years back but don’t think they ever showed up..)

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

I’ve been looking forward to Devil’s Men ever since I’d finished Memoria (also from Kevin Mentz and probably my favorite AG ever), so I’m very sad about this.  Cry

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Mikekelly - 01 March 2018 07:26 PM

Life is Strange has sold over 2 million copies and that does not include IOS sales either.

We have our hit adventure games and always have. Just like movies, we do have indie releases and some people, like myself like them.

However, some indies are so good that you wish they would get a big budget remake, like Kathy Rain.

Heart

LiS sold over 3 million actually, which is extremely cool.

I wish Telltale was doing better. A healthy mainstream presence elevates the whole scene. Gets interest in the genre up overall and people are more likely to give a look at the B tier and indie stuff.

Telltale was the clear front-runner for a bit but they’ve been dropping the ball for a while now and it’s reflecting in their sales. It’s ridiculous thinking back to the hype they had coming off TWD & Wolf Among Us. Fast forward to today and nobody cares about Guardians Of The Galaxy. With a property like that they should’ve had another hit in the bag. Right now it’s under Thimbleweed Park’s sales on steamspy (I know steamspy ain’t perfect but still)

At this moment DontNod is very important to the genre imo. Especially for bringing back a minimum standard of exploration and puzzle solving to mainstream adventure games. Before The Storm was pretty awful imo but I have high hopes for LiS 2. Being that it’s a return to the original developer.

They’re kind of the only dev carrying the torch for the genre on a mainstream level. Detroit looks like it could be a big deal. It looks incredibly interesting. Hopefully it’s a good game.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It looks nice (except the supernatural part - I’m fed up with fantasy and horror in games) but I’d prefer a sequel to the superb Pillars of the Earth. The book is there, now let’s have the game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 29 June 2018 10:10 AM

I’m fed up with fantasy and horror in games) but I’d prefer a sequel to the superb Pillars of the Earth. The book is there, now let’s have the game.

ok, wait for your ambitious ‘Pillars of the Earth’ and let other ambitious be.  Cool

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

jfrisby - 29 June 2018 09:53 AM

Petition to Daedalic to revive this game:

https://www.change.org/p/daedalic-entertainment-revive-the-devil-s-men

Signed! Wish they could have done some crowd funding..

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 29 June 2018 11:10 AM
Oscar - 29 June 2018 10:10 AM

I’m fed up with fantasy and horror in games) but I’d prefer a sequel to the superb Pillars of the Earth. The book is there, now let’s have the game.

ok, wait for your ambitious ‘Pillars of the Earth’ and let other ambitious be.  Cool

I said it looked nice. The problem is we were never guaranteed it would be anything else - Daedalic have always been extremely hit-and-miss when it comes to their stories, voice acting and puzzles.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top