• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ossuary

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

I just saw review of this game on this site.There’s no pun intended and
my intention is not to insult anyone neither,but….
Why would enyone in the year of 2014 even bother to create a game that
looks like very poor even by Atari 2600 standards, that’s way beyond me.
How could anyone in their right mind give such a high score to this
pile of s…! There is so many decent looking games out there, who would
play so ugly looking game like this one?
Could it be the reason that most of the adventure gamers are still
proud owners of 286 at best?And that why nobody likes new games?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

DarkEye - 06 June 2014 04:36 AM

There is so many decent looking games out there, who would play so ugly looking game like this one?

Err…

Wanted something to play now since Murdered Soul Suspect looks like a turkey. Might even check out that pony detective game later.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There’s more to adventure games than just the graphics, and in the case of Ossuary, it’s even a stylistic choice made by the devs. Plus, it doesn’t look nearly as bad as you make it sound…

Also, this is why the reviewer basically said the game won’t be for everyone… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

TimovieMan - 06 June 2014 11:09 AM

There’s more to adventure games than just the graphics, and in the case of Ossuary, it’s even a stylistic choice made by the devs. Plus, it doesn’t look nearly as bad as you make it sound…

Also, this is why the reviewer basically said the game won’t be for everyone… Wink

Yes TimovieMan, maybe that the comparison to Atari was a little to extreme but
that was my purpose Smile
I know that graphic design is not the most important factor at AG, and I could
easily accept some of the more pixelated games like Blackwell series, but even 10 years older concept is just insult for the player IMO.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

DarkEye - 06 June 2014 03:30 PM

but even 10 years older concept is just insult for the player IMO.

You’re really limiting your choices with this guideline though. This would eliminate all point and click and Myst-style adventure games. You’d be left with games like L.A. Noire, Beyond Two Souls and Murdered Soul Suspect that sport the latest graphical bells and whistles but certainly don’t showcase the best of what adventure games are capable of.

Really enjoying Ossuary btw. It’s well written and the sin mechanics are engaging. Certainly not accessible but that’s nothing to do with the C64 style art design and more to do with the philosophical content.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Don’t you think we have enough examples by now to show that modern graphics automatic good and old graphics automatic bad?

If not, I can happily point you to hundreds if not thousands.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

that’s way beyond me.

QFT.
All genres have modern games with non-modern aesthetic sensibilities. Why are the AGs the one that get you worked up?

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

thejobloshow - 06 June 2014 06:57 PM
DarkEye - 06 June 2014 03:30 PM

but even 10 years older concept is just insult for the player IMO.

You’re really limiting your choices with this guideline though. This would eliminate all point and click and Myst-style adventure games. You’d be left with games like L.A. Noire, Beyond Two Souls and Murdered Soul Suspect that sport the latest graphical bells and whistles but certainly don’t showcase the best of what adventure games are capable of.

Really enjoying Ossuary btw. It’s well written and the sin mechanics are engaging. Certainly not accessible but that’s nothing to do with the C64 style art design and more to do with the philosophical content.

I’m sorry mate, but I think that you’re unable to get the right picture here.Where the hell did you read, that I don’t like myst style or any point and clicks?Btw my favorite ever games are Simon the sorcerer 1 and flight of the amazon queen.Those games you mention are not classic adventures in my book, and I rather put some good movie on than play that type of games.
So one more time, and also last time:
I have nothing against “retro look”, because I’m fan of the AG since 1989!
It’s just my humble opinion that 90’s art style should be the lower point
that new AG should looks like.
I should know by now that in this place, most of the longtime members feel the
need to defend everything and every game or reviewer with their lives, so there is
no point of feeding the hungry sharks.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

You’re backpedaling. You came into this thread insulting some random indie game and the people who can appreciate its very old art style and you expect us to take your punches because you like these one or two old games over here?

Faaaaaark that, defend your original post. It’s not my faux pas if you’re not really committed to your argument.

You went from…

to…

in three posts.

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

thejobloshow - 07 June 2014 04:18 AM

You’re backpedaling. You came into this thread insulting some random indie game and the people who can appreciate its very old art style and you expect us to take your punches because you like these one or two old games over here?

Faaaaaark that, defend your original post. It’s not my faux pas if you’re not really committed to your argument.

You went from…

to…

in three posts.

thejobloshow
And I still stand firmly behind my words!So this should be my problem then
if you are unable to recognize any difference in the 1977 and 1990s style?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Did it occur to you the graphical style they chose might have a purpose beyond looking nice? I haven’t played Ossuary, but I will cite Thomas Was Alone, an adventure game which almost looks like Tetris but has a very good story-based reason for looking that way. If you don’t play the games and only look at screenshots, you won’t know.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top