• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return of the Obra Dinn (From the creator of Papers, Please)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve given it a couple of hours now and I have to agree that it is an addictive game. The whole time jumping detective angle is brilliantly done and you are at times constantly jumping between different people and their fates. Deducing who’s who and what happened to them is really intriguing premises and of what I can tell, Obra Dinn pulls it off pretty flawlessly.

I do think this might be one of those games which will require you to play it through without long pauses in between, as despite all the info is placed in the journal, and known people are crossed off from your list, I can see it turning daunting when you return to it if you have multiple open destinies to work with. And you will have multiple ones.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Finished. Brilliant game.

I enjoyed it a lot. The gameplay felt fresh and fun. After 25 years of adventure games just aping Monkey Island and Myst, or jettisoning puzzles altogether for some reason, it’s good to have games such as this or The Sexy Brutale that try out new ideas. This felt especially satisfying to me, and reminded of my favourite parts of The Experiment (Experience 112): finding creative ways to cross-reference all sorts of info about people in order to uncover their secrets.

I was afraid the game would run out of steam at some point, but the late part of the game, when you’re revisiting the timeline to follow some secondary character and find out what the hell happened to them, actually felt really fun. I also liked that the game required some amount of guesswork, but prevented you from just brute-forcing everything.

The story is really intriguing. The unexpected Lovecraftian twist was a welcome surprise. At the start, it feels like there’s no way you can keep track of, let alone care about, the fates of 60 different people, but the story is well constructed and everything actually comes together quite nicely.

As a minor criticism, I wish the game had found a way to expand its mechanics over time. As it is, most of the mechanics are introduced in the first chapter (of ten), and the rest in the second chapter—and then it’s just more of the same. I feel like the game is missing a little something extra to achieve true greatness.

But I loved it anyway.

4/5

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Finally an interesting looking adventure game. I was beginning to give up on 2018.

I expect to be spending most of my weekend playing this Thumbs Up

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This game is really good. A masterful blend of storytelling and deductive gameplay. Rather difficult too. I have found all events (except the final one) but haven’t even figured out half of the fates yet.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Be sure to drop your reviews in https://adventuregamers.com/ratings/new/27498 as well :-)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This really is an amazing game and I do dare to say, it might be a future benchmark for any game involving investigative routines. There are some deaths in the game, that really require you to think further than what at first seems obvious.

There is some amount of guessing involved but, what I’ve read anyways, at least some deaths can be solved by more than one way, as the game accepts different interpretations of the situations.

You can read my further musings here: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2018/10/return-of-obra-dinn-2018.html

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^i played a bit and solved my first 3 fates. It certainly is great. It should impact how other games are handled but i doubt that it will. It seems to live in its own unique space much like papers please.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Reviewing astonishingly well with the gaming press

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It seems to be selling reasonably well as well. It’s still in top 10 popular games in GOG and was among top 10 in Steam as well a couple of days ago. While it at times looks like people always go for the same old with games, you still can get their attention if you manage to make something that is unique and well made.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I love the storytelling. Theres been multiple moments of “it couldnt possibly have been worse for the people on this boat” and then it gets worse. Very effectively done.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Played it last night and got really impressed and addicted. That’s the way to make an engrossing investigative adventure (I’m looking at you, Post Mortem). Loved the combination of old school text-heavy gameplay, when you are on your own to discover plot, characters and to solve puzzles, with modern cinematographic direction. The monochromatic 3D also worked surprisingly well. I was afraid at first that it would make the game tedious and hard to get into (I grew up playing games in full colour and have no nostalgic feelings for it), but no, it actually adds something extra to the historical background and grim story while also not distracting from it with graphic violence. So much to discover and to deduce!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I’ve just finished it. What am I going to do with my time now? I was so into this game, I can’t just start another game now. Awesome!
See, this is the type of deduction game that I’ve hoped for Lamplight City to be. I’ve enjoyed LC a lot, but deductionwise, there’s still too much handholding, especially compared to RotOD.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

its not only the best “deduction game” i’ve played, i think its really the only game i’d call a “deduction game” i can remember. A true sherlock game should model itself after this somehow. I find myself at times wishing the interface and organization was better. But a great game. Strong contender for adventure of the year (and i loved unavowed).

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

zane - 04 November 2018 12:37 PM

A true sherlock game should model itself after this somehow.

Based on my memory I would say that Obra Dinns gameplay is similar to Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsène Lupin (a.k.a. Nemesis). Especially the last puzzle in the Lupin game which involved figuring out the identities of the guards at the Tower of London.

I agree that Obra Dinn is amazing.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Henke - 06 November 2018 12:27 AM

Based on my memory I would say that Obra Dinns gameplay is similar to Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsène Lupin (a.k.a. Nemesis). Especially the last puzzle in the Lupin game which involved figuring out the identities of the guards at the Tower of London.

I recall Holmes VS Lupin being more like a straight cut puzzle game more than anything else. That’s how I remember it feeling at least as well as how big of a disappointment it felt to me.

I do think the later Holmes games have had some decent deductive elements in them though, but never in the same quality and quantity as in Obra Dinn.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top