• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tesla Effect Story Discussion - SPOILERS

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Frogacuda - 12 May 2014 07:50 PM
wilco - 12 May 2014 11:13 AM

1- Why did Maldonado and Bauers killed Margaret? And cut off her head? To get her memories

They didn’t. She died of a heart attack and they cut off her head in order to protect her memories.

I didn’t catch it, that makes more sense.

tomimt - 13 May 2014 04:08 AM
Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 04:03 AM

I was under the impression Margaret had erased her memory and set her up with a new life to keep her from getting involved with Tex and the Tesla stuff.

That’s my take on it as well.

The Chelsee endings should reference this if she lost her memory (I have not seen them)

Karlok - 13 May 2014 04:21 AM

Something happened when I learned Chelsee was Margaret’s daughter, it’s like the story lost its true Tex quality. Can somebody please tell me who the girl in my avatar is? Unless she’s Tex’ long-lost sister or something, in that case I don’t want to know.

PS: I’m guessing it’s Margaret herself, talking to Donnelly. Am I getting warm? I will replay the game at some point, but not right now.

PPS: I watched the long and awsome trailer again. Nine scenes I haven’t seen in the game.

Just watched the trailer, I agree, those scenes with the 3 characters from the pic and the girl look like something out of a flashback or something. They should show up in one of the paths (or they are just cut). Also a reference to Ault being married that I didn’t see in the game.

Hey, maybe JT Connely/Tex Murphy IS Chelsee father!!! That would be… weird

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 May 2014 06:30 AM

Just watched the trailer, I agree, those scenes with the 3 characters from the pic and the girl look like something out of a flashback or something. They should show up in one of the paths (or they are just cut). Also a reference to Ault being married that I didn’t see in the game.

I haven’t seen it either in the game. I’m guessing that the unnamed woman he married is one of four: Ariel, Taylor, Margaret or Chelsee. (Yeah, I’m good. Smile) My money is on Chelsee cause “she needed someone… ” and it would make sense. Ariel is not the needy type, Margaret is too old, Taylor is focused on Tex.

Hey, maybe JT Connely/Tex Murphy IS Chelsee father!!! That would be… weird

More than just weird. It would stop me from backing any future Tex Kickstarter.  Shifty Eyed

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s Einstein’s many-happy-returns-of-the-day letter to Tesla in the trailer.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 04:03 AM

I was under the impression Margaret had erased her memory and set her up with a new life to keep her from getting involved with Tex and the Tesla stuff.

Well, no, it can’t be, because A path ends with them erasing her memory of the last 7 years to go back to the night of the Golden Pagoda. So that doesn’t really add up if she’s lost those memories of Tex. Maybe she was hiding for her own safety?

EDIT: Just rewatched the cut scene where this is discussed (End of Day 7) and they just said “I don’t know whether her memory was manipulated or it was simply too painful, but she’s left her old life behind” which seems like a rather thin pretense to leave an open murder investigation on yourself. One might also think being pronounced dead might inhibit one from getting a marriage license as well…

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

wilco - 13 May 2014 06:30 AM

Also a reference to Ault being married that I didn’t see in the game.

This scene appears on the A path. Although the wording is slightly different in my game, so their might even be two versions? Or perhaps they just used a different take?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nobody here able to answer my question about my avatar girl?  Cry

I replayed a few parts and to my surprise discovered that she does appear in a message on the vidphone at the beginning of Day Two. Either I didn’t see it the first time or I forgot all about it. She talks in a lovely Russian accent about a group of White Russians or something. But in the trailer she has no accent.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Karlok - 14 May 2014 12:33 PM

Nobody here able to answer my question about my avatar girl?  Cry

I replayed a few parts and to my surprise discovered that she does appear in a message on the vidphone at the beginning of Day Two. Either I didn’t see it the first time or I forgot all about it. She talks in a lovely Russian accent about a group of White Russians or something. But in the trailer she has no accent.

The girl and the guys-from-andromeda are shwon when you are in the sewers, that you can only acomplish by taking one of the dialogue path/choices with Ariel in the beach house. My only complain about TE was just that part: there is a lenghtly cinematic sequence before you can make your choice, without being able to save your game. If you want to get all possible choices, you have to redo that part at least 3 or 4 times, meaning more than an hour watching the same dialogues. I don’t think you can rely on the autosave files in that part ‘cause I had different relusts trying to use them.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks! I did go to the sewers after choosing Ariel, but I hated it there, I got killed a lot. So I went back to the Taylor-Ariel confrontation and chose differently.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

I shouldn’t be hanging in this thread as I haven’t completed the game yet (currently on Day Eight) but I’ve become so obsessed with it, it’s irrational! Feel free to offer your condolences to my sanity because apparently it’s dead and buried by now. Wink

Anyway, I didn’t know certain locations were exclusive and based on the dialog choices you make. I thought that at most, those choices would dictate the outcome of various conversations or the ending you get. That makes the game ever more replayable, which is awesome! So far, I’ve remained loyal to Taylor so I didn’t see the sewers; the game brought me to the Tesla facility straight after the scene at the beach house you folks were talking about earlier.

And Karlok, I too have seen your Mysterious Avatar Girl™ (let’s call her MAG!) on the vidphone on Day Two. Haven’t seen or heard from her since then.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

For what I have seen so far, I only got the sewers and Tex’s Beach House as “extra” places to look around. Are there others? And how can one achieve them?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

UruBoo - 14 May 2014 12:54 PM

If you want to get all possible choices, you have to redo that part at least 3 or 4 times, meaning more than an hour watching the same dialogues.

Right-clicking brings up controls to fast foward through cutscenes.

UruBoo - 16 May 2014 07:17 AM

For what I have seen so far, I only got the sewers and Tex’s Beach House as “extra” places to look around. Are there others? And how can one achieve them?

There are a few others:
-Blue Dragon Warehouse, by finishing the Sewer Maze.
-The Chelsea Shrine in the Ritz. Taylor hands you the key if you stay true to Chelsea.
-Tex’s storage room… I think there are a few ways. Collecting all the comics is one.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Snatcher42 - 16 May 2014 12:10 PM
UruBoo - 14 May 2014 12:54 PM

If you want to get all possible choices, you have to redo that part at least 3 or 4 times, meaning more than an hour watching the same dialogues.

Right-clicking brings up controls to fast foward through cutscenes.

Jee, I’m an idiot, really…

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Just finished the game and got the good Chelsee ending which was ok but nothing exceptional (the one with Saphyre seems to be the new Clown ending - sounds awesome!). I am still a bit unclear on a lot of things that were going on in the game like timelines and characters’ motivations. All in all, I think there are too many memory wipes and cryogenic reanimations thrown left and right, which really hurt the credibility of the story and test the players suspension of disbelief to the point of breaking. That Overseer cliffhanger really pushed them into a corner. If it hadn’t been for that, they could just pretend Tex was up to his usual tricks for some time in-between those games and not confuse things too much with memory losses and off-screen behavioural changes. Ugh.

As for Karlok’s avatar girl, if you do the sewer maze and find the Blue Dragon warehouse, you’ll see a lot of mementos/videos that not only tell you who she is (a Romanov princess, I believe) but also confirm that Tex and J.T. Donnely are in fact the same person. This is another thing that doesn’t agree with me, by the way. I mean, it does put an interesting spin into the whole “born a hundred years too late” routine Tex has going on but how is it possible for Tex to have actual memories of himself growing up in our century (I remember a brief flashback in The Pandora Directive where he has an accident riding a toy horse)? Unless it was all part of some (more) memory manipulation that we went through (by Mason, perhaps?). It really is all a bit too much to swallow.

Also, I have only just completed the Blue Dragon area so I don’t know how the Russian princess thing pays off later on (if at all) but how is she alive after all these years? Did she also get frozen? And how come she and Tex don’t suffer from any serious physical (or psychological) deformities like Mantus and the Phantom of Th—I mean, The Translator?

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I got the Taylor ending. While I liked it (and totaly expected it due to my in-game decisions), I find that the Saphyre ending is a far better one in terms of Tex-style. I have to re-play for the Chelsea one to see how this one goes. And to find all the comic books to unlock Tex’s storage room. I missed 3….

BTW, when I first chose to sleep with Taylor, the location I went was my personal resort. There I found a half-erased phone number (from a woman obviously) and some roman letters on the back of the paper. I couldn’t find any use for it!! Frown

maladroid - 17 May 2014 12:38 AM

...the Phantom of Th—I mean, The Translator?

Grin

Hilarious!!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

As for Karlok’s avatar girl, if you do the sewer maze and find the Blue Dragon warehouse, you’ll see a lot of mementos/videos that not only tell you who she is (a Romanov princess, I believe) but also confirm that Tex and J.T. Donnely are in fact the same person.

Interesting. There’s a conversation with Mojo where Tex may reveal that his given name is actually James Tiberius, so I guess that would explain what the J.T. stands for. (Assuming he’s not making it up. And it’s a far more likely combination of names for someone born post-1966 than a cryo-revivee from the first half of the twentieth century.)

However, in addition to the childhood flashback of Pandora Directive, that leaves us without an explanation for why Tex has memories of getting a crappy mp3 player as a kid, going to college or surviving World War 3. It also begs the question of how old J.T. Donnelly was when he went into the cryotube. Tex seems quite young in Overseer, and we know that stuff really happened.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top